Children Fiction posted July 23, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A children's story for some learning and entertainment

The Alphabet's Costume Party

by GollyGreen32


The alphabet met in the Word School’s gym for their costume party, but while the music played, they just stood against the wall. No letter seemed to want to have fun.

Tired of standing around, A faced B and asked, “What are you?”

B, who wore black and yellow, said, “Don’t you know?” He flapped his loops like wings. “I’m a bumble bee.”

A laughed.

“What are you?” B asked A.

A wore legs attached to her arms. “I’m an ant, A said to B. “It’s a great costume for me.”

B faced C and asked, “What are you?”

C giggled as she swished her fluffy blue and green dress. “I’m supposed to be the sea!”

“Good job,” said D, who wore a white shirt with black dots.

E, who wore big horns on her top arm, and F, who wore leaves, walked over, and stood beside D.

“What are you?” E asked D.

“I’m a dice,” D said to E.

“What are you?” D asked E.

“I’m an elk,” said E.

“And I’m the fall,” said F. He looked at G. “Who are you?”

G sighed. “Gee, I don’t know! I found this hat and these glasses in my grandpa’s attic. I’m just a guy I guess.” G looked at H, who wore gray floppy slippers and a white nose with whiskers. “What are you?” asked G.

“I’m a hare,” said H, “who likes to hop.”

H saw I in the doorway. He walked over to her. She wore a big black lash across her top bar. “Hey I, who are you?” H asked.

“Can’t you tell?” I asked “I’m an eye.”

“I see,” said H. They both laughed.

N, who wore a nutshell sat next to O, who wore a brown hat with eyes and little horns. “What are you?” N asked O.

“I’m an owl,” O said.

“Now we’re no, N said as he looked at O. They laughed.
           
A, E, and R, who wore a long tail and long teeth, walked toward them.

“Whoa!” said O. “Here comes R. Hey R, what are you?”

“I’m a rat, but with A and E, now I’m are,” R said.

G, H, I, and O laughed.

“Let’s dance,” R said.

“Does anyone want to dance with me?” asked T, who wore bulbs and glitter on her arms. They all knew she looked like a Christmas tree.

“And me?” asked V, who wore a vine and some fake grapes.

“We will!” yelled G, H, and I.

E stood behind T. Then A stood behind E. They danced around the dance floor.

“Look! They made tea,” said D.

“Yay!” said F and clapped with J, K, L.

U, who wore a scrunchy face mask, stood in the corner.

“Hey U, what are you?” asked P, who wore a snout to be a pig.

U sighed. “I’m ugh,” she said.  

“Don’t feel sad, Missy,” Q said to U. Q wore a piece of paper on her head.
           
“What are you?” U said to Q.

“I’m a quiz,” Q said. “Nobody likes those. Hee! Hee!”

“You hang with me,” P said to U.

“I’m up with that,” said U.

H left O and stood next to W, who wore a white cape with blue lines.

“Who are you?” H asked W.

“I’m a superhero called Word Wonder,” W said. “I wanted to look like notebook paper. That’s why the lines are blue.”  

Y, who wore a mask with a tongue sticking out, joined W and H. “Can I hang with you too?” Y asked.

Why not!” said H and W.

“What are you?” W asked Y.

“I’m yuck,” said Y. “It’s a better face than cry.”

W, H, and Y danced.

 X was wearing a crown. “I feel like a king,” he said when M and A danced with him.

“X marks the spot,” said A.

“To the max, I’d say,” said M, who wore a big white circle on her back.

“What are you?” J asked.

“I’m the moon,” M said. “It was the easiest costume to do.”

J, K, and L all came to the dance as themselves.

“We should have tooted horns,” said J.

“Or wore funny t-shirts,” said K.

“Or bells,” said L.

“Who are you?” K asked Z, who wore a bow tie and a goatee.

“I look like a zillion bucks!” Z said. “Let’s zig, zag, and go zany.

J, K, and L danced with Z and S.

“Yeah!” said S, who wore bright yellow to look like the sun. “This is a lot of fun. We’re making words, and I never want to be done.”

All the letters danced together the entire dance. When the party ended and each letter walked out the door, they promised each other to play together more.
 



An Alphabet Tale contest entry


I wrote this story quite a few years ago, and I've revised it many times. The aim of the story is to help children learn and to provide them with some entertainment while they learn. Hopefully, I succeeded.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Cindy Sue Truman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.