General Fiction posted July 19, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A case of be careful of what you wish for.

Not Your Mother's Lemonade

by howard11

Sci Fi or Fantasy Writing Contest Contest Winner 

"Dad, I need a pit stop real bad," begged Josh.

Katie, poked her brother, "Man up and hold it, Little One. We are almost there."

"My name is Josh! Just Josh! I wish Steve was here. He's the good twin. Steve calls me Josh."

"I wish he was here too...instead of me," quipped 13-year-old Katie.

"Katie stop." Dave Jenson continued. "Josh, your mother and I decided Steve should stay home with the cast on his leg. The three of us will have a fun weekend. Katie just needs to recall the good times she had on the back roads when she and Steve were your age."

"Dad, mom says I don't have to do kid stuff anymore."

"You might this weekend. Camping is a team sport. Here we are." Dave took a right into the 'Apache Hills Camp Store' and chose a gas pump. All three Jensens got out. Josh, using his 9-year-old's version of speed walking, briskly went restroom hunting. Dave handed his daughter some bills, "Three lemonades, please."

"Rather have a strawberry smoothie, and I'm sure Josh would prefer a chocolate shake."

"And I would like to have a tall cold beer, but today, it's three lemonades."

A frustrated Katie headed inside while her dad uncapped the silver SUV's tank. Dave filled the car and paid at the pump. While stretching, he was rejoined by his smiling youngest son, followed by Katie carefully carrying a cardboard drink tray.

"Thank you, dear." Easing her load, Dave distributed the cups. "Have a drink now, and save the rest until we're in camp. Our goal this trip is to keep the car clean as possible. No eating or drinking in the vehicle. Take a gulp or two, then saddle up."

Six miles west, Dave stopped at the 'Mescalero State Park' gate. He bought a two-night permit for a site in the 'Tepee' section. The provided park map showed a short drive to the campsite. Once on the main park road, he clued in his two children, "We're in the Teepee area, watch for Site 16."

"Dad, we don't have a teepee." As usual, Josh was an alert listener and a devoted collector of facts.

"Son, that just means a tent only section. No late night noise blaring from someone's RV." As he drove past a green restroom-shower facility, he spotted 16 to the right. "Look at that, shade trees, a large stone picnic table, and an elevated grill. All the comforts, plus a short walk to Lake Coyote with swimming area and fishing dock nearby."

Once parked, the trio gathered at the picnic table and Dave pointed out the water spigot and fire pit. "Josh and I will set up the boy's club over there by that brush near the lake path. Katie, place your 'boudoir' between those two mimosa trees just off the parking area. If you need help, ask."

"I got it," she asserted, already on her way to get her yellowish tent from the car."

Josh, not to be outdone, ran to grab the other tent. On the way to the chosen spot, he stopped at the table for a drink. After sucking on the straw, he called out to his dad, "My lemonade is different." He took more. "It tastes kinda like a chocolate shake. I'm going to drink it!"

"Little brother, you're crazy."

"Son, go ahead, but no complaining about a stomach ache during the night."

"I won't. Hey, what's a 'boudoir'?"

"It's a French word for bedroom. Back to work."

Katie's tent was up first. She obviously remembered some of her learned kid stuff. Relaxing on a bench, she cheered the guys on as they were finishing their tan tent. "Looking good, guys. Almost done!" She sipped some lemonade, shook her head and instantly stood up. "No way! Dad, my lemonade changed too. Weird."

"What are you talking about?" Dave joined her at the table after telling Josh to get their sleeping bags. "Let me see." Katie handed him the cup. Removing the plastic lid, he discovered a strawberry smoothie. "I thought I told you only lemonades." He wasn't happy. "I am disappointed in you."

Katie was unnerved and defensive. "I did buy lemonade. And that's what it was when I drank at the store. Honest, Dad."

Trying to prevent a teenager explosion, Dave eased up, "We'll talk about it back at home. For now, sunset is near and we forge ahead. I'm going to clean the grill and start the coals for the dogs and burgers. You two gather wood for the firepit and tonight's marshmallows. Watch out for cactus and snakes...Josh, stay with your sister."

Josh rushed by Katie, pulling her arm saying, "Come on."

Dave lit the coals, then checked the tents. Both were tight with stakes securely anchored. "The kids did a good job," he said to a curious lizard perched on the picnic table. The 6-inch reptile turned away, seemingly unimpressed. Dave retrieved three camp chairs from the car and leaned two against a bench. He set up his by the edge of some bushes near a small tree.

Sunken into his weekend throne, lemonade in hand, he awaited the wood gatherers' return. But, one drink from the cup and he knew something was amiss in the kingdom. The liquid tasted very much like his favorite draft beer. Dave got up and walked a few yards into the bushes and poured out the mysterious elixir. Back at the store it was lemonade. He owed Katie an apology.

"Dad we're back!" Josh was loud. When Dave exited the brush, he found his offspring proudly standing over their stack of wood.

"Gang, you make quite a team. Well done. The coals need 20-30 minutes to be ready for cooking. Josh get the park map from the front seat. We'll take a stroll down to the lake before it gets dark. We can give the fishing pier a look. Katie, you are welcome to come, or hang here. Your choice. "

"I'll stay. But, I do have a question. Why don't we ever bring steaks with us? We all like T-bones when you grill them back home. Heck, they're Josh's favorite fingerfood next to fries."

"Our chosen camp provisions fit your mom's monthly food budget. Even so, steak does sound better. Bring it up before next trip. For now, you can do me a favor. When you hear us returning, unwrap the meat and put it on the silver tray with the utensils."

"Yes, sir."

Heading down the path, Josh let loose with questions. Usually, his never ending thirst for answers was quenched by Steve, currently home nursing a broken ankle.

"Dad, what's a Mescalero?"

"Well, you know who the Apache Indians are, right?"

"I know Apaches, Commanches, and Tonkawas. I am a Texan, dad."

"Right...I forgot. The Mescaleros are a group of Apaches that now live in this area of New Mexico. The local reservation includes land on the other side of Lake Coyote, including those mountains where the golden sun is going down. When they lived in Texas, the Mescaleros were known as fierce mountain fighters. They..."

"Shhh!" Josh interrupted. "Dad, do you hear that spooky noise from across the lake?"

"Josh, don't shush adults. You're nine-years-old. When you're 90, shush all you want."

"Sorry."

"Okay. The noise is probably the wind howling through the mountains. But if you asked the Apaches, they would say the sound is chanting mountain spirits.

"Mountain spirits?"

"Something like Roman gods. The spirits are called 'Gahns'. Apaches believe tribal members are blood relatives of the rocks, mountains, trees, and wind. They believe the spirits are helpful to humans...often sharing special power with some tribe members."

"Was Lake Coyote named by Indians?"

"Yes, it was, Josh. To Apaches, the 'Coyote' is a major teaching figure in tribal folklore. Elders recount many tales about Coyote's adventures in the far past and what lessons he learned. Watch your step! Cactus."

Avoiding the cactus and still maintaining pace, Josh pointed and declared, "There's the dock. Do you think it goes far enough out into the lake, so I can catch a shark like Steve did last summer?"

"Steve was fishing in the saltwater gulf. Even a good fisherman like you has no chance of hooking a shark in this landlocked freshwater lake. Hopefully, a big fat catfish, or even a 3-5 pound bass, will fall to your angling talents."

"I really want a shark, Dad."

"Not this trip. Anyway, the sun is sinking further behind the mountains and nightfall is coming soon. I hear the Gahns raising their voices, so let's head back to camp and get some grub."

Fifteen minutes after her dad and Josh had left for the lake, Katie was highly bored. She had opened "Women of the White House", read a chapter, then closed the book. On the 9th grade reading list, the book was chosen to create interest in history. Katie wasn't in the mood.

She got up from a camp chair and tossed the presidents' wives into her tent. After closing the flap, she walked to the SUV where she retrieved a phone hidden under a seat. Her mother had given her the phone 'in case of an emergency'. Katie, sitting below the open hatchback, tried to decide whether the drink tiff with her father was an emergency.

During her self-debate, she idly opened the cooler to take a peek at the contents. "Damn!" On top of ice intermixed with bottles of water and a large pack of hotdogs, sat a half dozen T-bone steaks. She called her mom at once, aiming to thank her for upgrading the menu and then, possibly discussing her dad's anger.

"Katie, is that you? Problems?"

"Hi, Mom. Thank you for putting the steaks in the cooler. Dad and Josh will be very happy when they get back from the lake."

"Girl, what are you talking about? I bought no steaks. My guess is your father did it as a special surprise for you kids."

"You must be right, Mom. How's Steve?"

"Feeling sorry for himself. Katie, if everything else is going fine, I must hang up and go wrap plastic on his cast so he can shower."

"Everything's okay. Tell Steve hello and have fun playing nurse. Dad says we will be home late Sunday night." When she hung up, she was still unsettled. As she rehid the phone, she heard familiar voices approaching.

Katie met the walkers at the trailhead, tray in hand displaying four sizable T-bones. She held it out saying, "Great surprise, dad."

"You have a very considerate mother," said her father, adding, "and I have a very considerate wife. Take them to the table and make sure we brought the necessary condiments, including steak sauce. I'll wash and get Josh busy."

"But dad...OK." Katie went off and Dave called Josh over. "Before you wash up, I need you to put some of the collected wood in the firepit. Remember, small kindling inside a wood teepee."

"I know!"

"And Josh, I will inspect it before I light it."

"I know that. No matches til I'm ten." He headed off proudly to his duty.

Dave joined his daughter at the table. "Katie, I owe you an apology. I should not have questioned your lemonade account. You have been trustworthy since the day you first talked. The drink metamorphosis is a real mystery highlighted by my lemonade tasting like beer."

"Big word, dad. Anyway, I called mom to thank her for the steaks and she said it had to be you who put our favorites in the cooler. Did you?"

"You brought a phone?"

"Don't get upset. mom, gave it to me for emergencies. That was my only call, and you know how I miss my friends."

"Yes, I do. Thank you."

"Dad...did you bring the steaks?"

"No. But that's a discussion for later. I'll get the meat on the fire. Open a can of baked beans and put them in the small pot. Josh, wash up for dinner."

Roughly 45 minutes later, the three of them sat at the table chowing down and gulping welcomed cold bottled water...a Southwest camping must.

Josh, steak bone in one hand while spooning some beans with the other, growled, "Great!" Katie, quietly enjoying her food, watched her brother's always entertaining battle with the T-bone.

Steak was a Jensen family tradition. Dave's parents owned a ranch west of San Angelo. A teacher, he used one of his off mid term months each year to help out his father, the eldest Josh.
The reward for his work was fresh beef.

"I'm glad everyone is happy, but we actually don't know where the steak came from. Not your mother and not me. It's very fresh and was properly wrapped and labeled. There is no indication of what store it came from."

"I'm still waiting for you or mom to admit switching the meat," stated Katie. "I do want to know how the lemonade changed."

"Dad, I think the Gahns are helping us." Josh, eager to contribute, stopped wet wiping his fingers and continued, "I can still hear them chanting. Maybe they gave us what we wanted."

"What is he talking about? Who are the Gahns?"

Anxious to share his new knowledge, Josh answered Katie before his father could speak, "They're important Apache spirits."

"Okay, Josh, interesting theory. Katie, the Gahns let other spirits, named 'Di-yins', pass powers to tribe members. According to elders, these powers included doctoring the sick and helping to find food. Apache elders say Di-yins, often called shamans, could also foretell events, like upcoming enemy attacks.

A nervous Katie offered, "That sounds shakey. Maybe we should just go home."

"No!" Josh pleaded.

Dave stood up. "Katie, I share your concern, but I think we're fine for the moment. Now, everyone cleanup. Bag all trash and give a good wash to reusables. I will light the fire pit and when you are done cleaning, bring the Smores ingredients and chairs to the pit. We've earned a treat."

Later, Josh's chocolate mustache and Katie's sticky fingers confirmed a treat was had. "Dad, is that a 2nd or 3rd smore? Don't forget your blood sugar."

"Girl, you sound like your mother."

"I'm going for three! Dad, I can out eat you."

"Son, the limit is two. Your mother's table rules apply even in her absence. Plus, I doubt the immediate environment could survive another 'Josh Jensen vs. Smores' cage match."

Katie giggled, "Amen."

Dave looked at his watch, "Well, it's bedtime. I'll grab a bucket of water and douse the fire. You both need to wash up and brush your teeth. "Go."

By the time Dave had drowned all signs of fire and burning coals, the children stood next to him. "We heard something moving in the dark near my tent," said Katie in a low volume voice.

Dave checked each child's expression seeing concern in both. Most noticeable was that Josh held his sister's hand...quite unusual. "Show me."

The three quietly walked around the picnic table where Dave picked up a flashlight in passing. They stopped near a mimosa tree ten feet from Katie's tent. All listened and scanned the dark.

"I still hear it. Over there," a pointing Katie whispered. Josh nodded and their dad flipped on the flashlight, beam toward the noise. Suddenly, the trio was face-to-face with a surprised armadillo. He scurried off, out of sight. Dave and Katie laughed.

"Fast for an armadillo," joked a relieved Josh.

"You know, Josh, you and Steve could use an armadillo as a pet. He could root around on your carpet, keeping it clean and getting fat by eating everything you two drop. Very rare...a pet vacuum cleaner."

"Katie, I think your mother might go for that."

Josh objected, "No way. Too small and too tame. I think we both would like to have a Glyptodon. Bigger and faster."

"What is that? How big is it?" asked Katie.

Josh lived for serious questions from his sister. "A Glyptodon was an extinct armadillo looking animal about the size of Aunt Megan's 'putrid pink' Prius."

"What do you mean putrid pink Prius? I don't think your mom would appreciate her sister's car being so described. Not nice, young man."

"That's what Steve and Katie call her car."

"Josh, maybe you should get a Glypto...whatever. Then, the dinosaur could do us a favor and eat you!"

"Sorry, Miss Dummy. They were plant-eating herbivores. No meat. Also, they were mammals, not dinosaurs. Do you know anything?"

Dave intervened. "Both of you stop. Let it rest. Fight's over. Return to your corners, meaning, go to your sleeping bags.

"Yes, sir," in unison as they stared each other down. They started to separate, but Dave said, "Freeze". He held his index finger up to his mouth.

"Dad..."

"Quiet! I hear something on the lake path moving this way and it's much larger than an armadillo. Heavy movement in the distance." Just then, the early evening serenity was cracked by loud animal 'squealing and grunting'. All three Jensens heard plodding footsteps approaching. Dave ordered the kids to move over by the SUV. "Stay quiet."

"Dad, are there cattle in the park?"

Dave was used to Josh's inability to be quiet. "Whatever is out there, is much heavier than a longhorn. Try to hold your questions."

"Oh no, look! By your tent!" Katie's urgency alerted father and son. They were stunned by what they saw.

"Josh...is that thing what I think it is?"

"Well, it's not a pink Prius. Silver looking armor and four legs..."

"OK! Stop," insisted Dave.

Katie blurted, "I told you and Mom he was going to overdose on knowledge."

"Wow, a Glyptodon!" Josh moved away from the car, knelt down and started picking up rocks which he began throwing at the huge mammal which was busy demolishing the tan tent. Josh, in between yells at the giant intruder, begged his dad to throw anything handy and make a lot of loud noise.

"Katie, get in, start the car, and honk the horn." Dave had joined the battle. "If the damn thing makes a move for us, we mount up and hit the road."

Josh, with hoarse voice, "Dad, he's noticed us."

Dave took a look. "Katie, back the vehicle a few feet. If you remember what I showed you about the flashers, turn them on."

"Hey, when do I get driving lessons?"

"Josh, ask me that when you become a teenager. Look, the flashers are doing the job. Your new found pet is retreating into the darkness."

"Dad, do you hear that bellowing down by the lake? I don't think our visitor has made it down there yet."

"You're right, son. There is at least one more out there. We must pack up and leave. Help Katie with her tent and move fast."

Less than 20 minutes later, they all walked around the site seeking for missed items. Reward was three tent stakes and a couple of water bottles.

"Dad, should we call mom?"

"No, let her sleep. We will be her morning surprise. Let's go."

Josh was deeply asleep two miles down the highway. Katie tired and about to doze off, had one last question for her father, "So, was it the Glypto-whatever that convinced you to go home?"

"Katie, not really. I don't think you brother told you that, unlike the extinct dinosaurs, glyptodons lived alongside early men. That knowledge would partly explain Josh's fearlessness."

"The boy was brave, but we will never hear the end of it. So, why are we heading home?"

"It was something Josh said. He told me he wanted to catch a shark today in Lake Coyote. I'm not keeping my wonderful children here to see if his wish comes true. Sharks, unlike Glyptodons, are meat eaters".

"Thank you, dad." She lay down her head and surrendered to exhaustion.



Sci Fi or Fantasy Writing Contest
Contest Winner


Glyptodons lived until about 11,000 years ago and did coexist with humans. Some scientists say early man probably used their armored body shell for shelter at times of inclement weather.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. howard11 All rights reserved.
howard11 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.