Writing Non-Fiction posted July 19, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Club Especially For Prose Writers

Tips 'R Us Club

by Brett Matthew West

Here is an example of the tips being shared in the new Tips 'R Us writing club.

They are not meant to be the only way to write a story. We all know there is a myriad of ways to do so.

Because the club is designed to be interactive, all members are encouraged to share their knowledge for the betterment of all club members.

Should you have any interest in the club, check us out.

********************************************************************************************
********************************************************************************************


The First Plot Point

Usually found around the 25% to 33% range of the novel, the First Plot Point in a story serves as the point of no return for the protagonist and should send the protagonist into the central conflict. Typically, the first significant event of the story, the First Plot Point also launches the protagonist's story arc.

The consequences of the First Plot Point most often lead the protagonist into the First Pinch Point, where they face intense pressure because of the First Plot Point.

Pinch Points are reminders of the antagonistic force's power to thwart the protagonist's goals. Two common places Pinch Points occur are halfway between the First Plot Point and the Midpoint, then again halfway between the Midpoint and the Third Plot Point (Rising Action/Progressive Complications).

The catalyst of adventure for the protagonist, here are four ways to write a story's First Plot Point:

-allow the First Plot Point to provide emotional stakes for the protagonist because this is where everything changes for the protagonist. The First Plot Point should provide an emotional foundation to justify the protagonist's decision-making.

-ensure the consequences of refusal to act are dire for the protagonist. Readers need to feel the protagonist's only possible path is forward through the story's obstacles, plot twists, and subplots in Act Two and Act Three.

-use the First Plot Point to change the protagonist's surroundings, either into another place or change the characters around them. However you do it, make sure the protagonist leaves their everyday world.

-placement is key for the First Plot Point. Where it is placed can affect the rest of the story. If the First Plot Point comes too late in the story it can make the story's First Act seem tedious. If the First Plot Point comes too early it can make Act Two seem bloated and Act One seem rushed.

(When I post a tip, I always ask club members "can you suggest others?)




No. 10-1, by Arthur2, selected to complement my writing tip.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.