Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted July 18, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Thoughts about what our country has lost.

What Could Have Been

by HarryT


I often think what our country could have been if Hillary Clinton had won the Electoral College vote in 2016. A few wandering thoughts. I venture to guess that many deaths would have been avoided because the Covid-19 pandemic would have been honestly reported and proper precautions would not have been made a political issue.

I also believe that crucial measures concerning climate change would have not been cancelled and that true science would have been respected and changes made to help improve the environment. Important to the ordinary citizens, corporations would not have been the chief beneficiaries of tax cuts. The presidential pulpit would have not been used to criticize perceived adversaries, from the news media to members of the president’s own administration, elected officials in both political parties and foreign heads of state.

To continue, honest, forthright judges who respect the rights of women would have been nominated to sit on the Supreme Court, not ones who willfully lied to Congress to be granted seating on the highest court of the land. Thus, the woman’s right to choose medical treatment regarding her own body would still be in place.

With certitude, I declare, Ms. Clinton would not have been impeached twice as was Trump. First, for his abuse of power, and obstruction of Congress. And second, and most egregious, the incitement to insurrection. There also would have been a peaceful transition of power in 2021, if she were not reelected. No presidentially planned, violent attempt to overthrow a truthfully elected president would have taken place.

The over 2700 lies, the sanctioning white supremacy by calling Neo-Nazis the perpetrators of violence “very fine people,” would never have happened and perhaps the surge of racism now festering may not be in full movement. Unfortunately for our country current Republican leadership is still enabling the narcissistic autocracy of Donald Trump. I dare to believe the Republican party would not have turned into a party of hate, lies and deceit if it were not for Donald Trump, being our 45the president.

Think about this Joe Biden haters. If Donald J. Trump were not elected in 2016, Joe Biden would not be president today.

 



Changing History contest entry


Only my thoughts about why our country might have been a better place than it is at the current time. Hopefully, rational leaders of both parties may be able to right our ship of state.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.