Romance Fiction posted July 17, 2022 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali meets Judge Sean Pickett

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 15

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 31 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Rosa called, "Cord, Ken Green has a sick Blue Heeler and wants you to drop by."

"Do you have his number?" He hesitated. "Will you call him back and tell him I'm on my way?"

When Jorge grabbed his hat, Cordero's eyes widened. "Dad?"

"Sam hasn't arrested Rogers yet. Not only does Ali need somebody with her. You do too."

"Dad, I'm an adult male. I can take care of myself."

With both parents staring at him, he sighed. "Ready, Dad?"

Before Jorge and Cordero left, they checked to make sure the doors and windows were locked.

On their way to Cordero's pick-up, Jorge went to the barn. "Jim, Cord and I need to run out to Ken Green's ranch. Keep an eye on the ladies. I've made sure the house is locked tighter than a drum. Tuesday security cameras will be installed. I ordered some for the barn too."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 15

Late Monday morning, Alexandra's phone rang. After she answered, she listened as Lisa explained what the ladies had received.

Alexandra glanced at her watch. "Have the ladies meet me at the courthouse in forty-five minutes."

After Alexandra hung up, Rosa's eyes widened. "This can't be good. What happened?"

"Rogers reneged on their loans. Their unpaid balance is due by close of business Friday. He can't do that. It's illegal."

"It's not safe for you to go into town by yourself."

Alexandra exhaled. "And Cord and Jorge are checking cattle." She plopped in a chair. "Now what? I need to speak with a judge to stop this."

"We'll figure it out." Rosa called her husband. After speaking with him, she said, "Jorge's calling Jim and asking if he'll take you. He'll also notify Sam. He should have somebody who can help. If you're not back by the time the men return, Cord will join you."

"Thank you." She glanced at her clothes. "I'd better look professional." She hurried to her room.

When she returned, Jim held up the SUV keys. "Boss Lady said I'd better drive this. Mine's a little dirty."

Alexandra faced Rosa. "Thank you. I'm guessing as small as this county is there's only one judge. What's his or her name? I'd like to sound professional."

"Sean Pickett. He's been our judge for ten or more years. He's no-nonsense."

"Good. That's what I need." She hugged Rosa. "Thank you for everything."

"Good luck."

*****
Jim parked in front of the courthouse. "Ali, since I'm your bodyguard, should I come in?"

Scanning the area, she thought. "To be honest, I have no clue. I've never needed a bodyguard before." Her eyes met his. "Do you have a ..."

He lifted his vest and revealed a handgun. "What good's a bodyguard if they can't protect you?"

"Good point." She hesitated. "I'm not sure about Texas law, but in New York guns aren't allowed in courthouses."

Sam walked up and knocked on the passenger window. "I thought that was you. Jorge said to expect you."

Alexandra explained the situation and then said, "Jim was delegated to accompany me and is wearing a gun. I'd hate for him to sit in the hot sun. Is he allowed inside the courthouse?"

"I'll be right back."

Jim and Alexandra watched Sam jog to his office.

He returned and handed Jim a badge. "Don't shoot anybody. I'll be keeping an eye on things out here."

"Thanks. When we leave, I'll return it."

Inside the courthouse, Alexandra walked up to the clerk. "Hello, I'm Alexandra Black. I don't have an appointment, but I need to speak with Judge Sean Pickett."

"You're that big city lawyer, aren't you?"

"I am. Last week, I filed some paperwork. Since then, the complainants have received threats. I'd like it stopped. The reason I need to speak with Judge Pickett today is they're under a deadline. Is there any way I can speak with him?"

The clerk checked the schedule and then glanced at her watch. "I'll fit you in at eleven forty-five, before he breaks for lunch."

Alexandra's eyes sparkled. "Thank you."

As she turned around, Sam escorted the four ladies inside. He removed his hat and wiped his brow. "It's hot out there. I'll wait in here."

Smiling, Alexandra said, "That's probably a good idea." After welcoming the ladies, she said, "I have an appointment with Judge Pickett. I need to see the letters you've received, and I have a couple of questions." She glanced around.

The clerk stood and pointed. "Ms. Black, there's an empty room down the hallway. First door on your left."

"Thank you, again."

As the ladies entered the room, Jim said, "I'll wait with Sam."

Alexandra nodded. The women sat while she read the letters. "Are any of you delinquent or have you made late payments?"

After they indicated they weren't, she closed her eyes and whispered, "Thank you." She then said, "That's really good. This is illegal and I'm going to stop this action." She glanced at her watch. "I think it'll be best if you wait here. If I need you, I'll send for you. I don't want to come on too strong. Some judges don't like that."

*****
At eleven forty-five the clerk knocked on Judge Pickett's door and announced, "Alexandra Black is here to see you."

He stood and welcomed her. "Your reputation preceeds you. How can I help?"

After she presented her case and handed him the letters her clients had received, there was a knock on the door.

Judge Pickett indicated the door was open. Lester Brown walked in and offered his hand. "Judge Pickett, I've heard you're entertaining an argument to override my client's ability to call in some loans."

The judge accepted his hand and introduced Alexandra, before he added. "It's amazing how fast news travels."

Lester ignored his comment and studied Alexandra. "I've heard about you. I'm wondering if you can legally practice law in Texas."

Opening her briefcase, Alexandra smiled. "Your Honor, I thought that could become an issue." She handed the judge paperwork.

After reading it, he handed it to Lester and smiled. "She can." He clasped his hands. "The way I understand this, because these ladies have filed a suit against your client, he's retaliating by calling in their loans, hoping they'll stop their case. Am I correct?"

"Not exactly, Sir."

Alexandra took a step forward. "Your Honor, I'd like to mention none of my clients have missed or were late with any payments."

He studied Lester. "Is she correct?"

"Hmm, well sir..."

"Is Ms. Black correct?" interrupted Judge Pickett. "It's a simple yes or no answer."

"She's correct."

"So, Mr. Rogers is blackmailing these ladies until they drop their rape cases against him, am I correct?"

Alexandra avoided eye contact as the judge glared at Lester.

Out of frustration, Judge Pickett said, "Tell your client it's illegal." He studied Alexandra. "Amend your case adding this additional charge."

"Thank you, Your Honor." She hesitated before she added, "If I may, I have a different question for Mr. Brown." After the judge nodded for her to continue, she asked, "Since there was a warrant issued for Pat Rogers' arrest and you're his lawyer, do you know where he is?"

Judge Pickett leaned forward and continued, "Good question. If I'm not mistaken, the warrant is for attempted kidnapping, right?" He faced Alexandra. "You were also attacked with a knife, correct?"

"Yes, Your Honor." She took a breath. "I'd feel a lot safer with him behind bars."

Brown said, "You're here, so you must not feel in that much danger."

Alexandra stood. "Your Honor, may I?" After he nodded, she opened the door and motioned for Jim and Sam to enter. "My bodyguards."

"Point taken." The judge glared at Brown. "If you know where he's at and don't produce him by the end of the day, you're in contempt of court and will be arrested. Understood?"

"Yes, Sir. I can assure you; I have no idea where he's at."

Judge Pickett checked his watch. "I'm late for lunch."

Alexandra and Lester stood and left the office.

In the hallway, Alexandra and the ladies hugged as she explained the results.

Jim stood beside Alexandra. "Sorry to break this up, but Cord's worried."

I'm sure he is." She said goodbye and reminded the ladies to contact her with any questions or problems.

As they left the courthouse, Jim returned the badge. "Thank you, Sam. I can't wait to get that SOB in jail." He faced Alexandra. "And from what I understand, it's only going to get worse."

Sam asked, "What do you mean?"

Avoiding eye contact, Alexandra said, "Tomorrow I'm meeting with Amy Harding. I might be trying to get the child support she deserves."

Sam walked away chuckling. "I'm glad you like me."

Inside the SUV, Jim said, "Let's get you to your boyfriend. Please call him and let him know you're all right. He's called at least four times."

"I'll call, but he's not my boyfriend."

"Maybe, but he's worried about his gal."

Alexandra exhaled. "It's complicated."

"He loves you and you love him. How complicated is that?"

*****
When Jim pulled the SUV into the garage, Cordero ran to them, helped Alexandra out, and hugged her. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, Sam briefly deputized Jim so he could get his gun in the courthouse."

Jim grinned, "You should've heard her address Judge Pickett. She had him eating out of her hand. Lester Brown didn't stand a chance."

Chuckling, Cordero shook his head. "She has that effect on all men." He took Alexandra's hand. "Mom and Dad are concerned."

*****
During dinner, the afternoon events were discussed, before Alexandra asked, "Because of today's circumstances, I need to ask a question that's none of my business."

Jorge's eyes met hers. "Go on."

"Since Pat Rogers attempted to call in the ladies' loans, I became worried about loans you might have."

"Your concern's valid." Jorge took a bite of dinner. "Rosa and I don't owe any money. The only money owed around here is Cord's pick-up. How much longer do you have until it's paid off?"

"Three months, but I didn't get the loan through the bank. It's with the Ford Corporation."

Alexandra released the breath she was holding. "Good. Rogers has no ammunition against you." She sipped her lemonade. "Subject change. How far is it to El Paso and what time do you want to leave?"

Jorge thought a moment. "It's a solid three hours."

"Dad's right. You told Amy you're bringing lunch, so I suggest we leave around eight o'clock. By the time we get there and stop to get lunch, you'll be there close to noon. Do you know where she lives?"

"I have her address. We can find it with GPS."

Cordero left and returned with a laptop. After he found it, he pointed. "Dad, look."

Jorge shook his head. "Magoffin isn't in one of the safest areas. Be sure to..."

"I know," interrupted Cordero. "I'll be prepared." He glanced at Alexandra. "You look fantastic. I'm sure you dressed to look professional, but tomorrow dress so you don't draw attention to yourself." When her eyes widened, he added, "You will automatically because you're beautiful. We don't need to add rich. This is a high crime area. One of the worst in El Paso."

"I understand."

Jorge asked, "Ali, do you speak Spanish?"

"I'm sorry, but no."

"I don't know if circumstances will call for it, but don't be surprised if Cord goes into his full accent."

"I've heard it once. At first, I was surprised. I don't hear an accent when he speaks English, only with certain words."

Chuckling Cordero added, "Your bright blue eyes are going to announce you're an outsider. Magoffin's about ninety percent Hispanic."

"I'll wear sunglasses." After everyone laughed, Alexandra asked, "Does Amy speak Spanish?"

Cordero thought for a moment. "Very limited when I knew her, but I suspect she's picked it up."

Rosa stood and picked up some plates. "Before I start on the dishes, how about breakfast around six-thirty?"

After everyone agreed, Cordero and Alexandra went to the barn to check on Bendecido and work with Jewel.


~~~~~
Attorneys who pass the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) in one state can apply for admission to the bar in another UBE state by transferring their score. If the attorney's UBE score is high enough for admission in the second state, the attorney can be admitted to practice law there.
~~~~~

`````
The majority of my reviewers have commented how they like the patient development of Ali and Cord's relationship. I do have a reviewer or two who feel it should move faster. I disagree for the following reasons. First, they've only known each other for 31 days. I have read posts were the couple jumped into bed after 3 dates. That's, to be honest, why the abortion and divorce rates are so high. I have also read reports about depression and even suicide. Second, approximately 50 days ago, Ali walked in on her fiance having sex with another woman. There have also been hints of abuse in that relation. Comon on, give the lady a chance to heal! Third, Rosa and Tonia are best friends and have been since they were in kindergarten. Neither Cord nor Ali will allow anything to happen that might cause harm to their moms' relationship.Forth, They both know Ali will go back to New York City and Cord will remain in Texas.  I hope this helps.
`````

~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google an image of a small county courthouse. While I posted, I edited some more. Every time I read, I found something to change, I doubt I can ever get my writing perfect. Sorry, this is a longer post. I didn't feel it could be split. I'm posting it high so there is more rewards for reading. I hope this post doesn't have too many errors. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.