Horror and Thriller Fiction posted July 13, 2022 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A story of our times

A chapter in the book In Real Time

Unnecessary Violence

by estory

The house where it happened looked like any house on the block. It had a little porch in the front where you could sit outside if you wanted. There was a little fenced in yard out back for kids and dogs to run around in. There was an old car parked in the driveway.

It was a sunny afternoon and the windows of the house were open. A young woman was sitting on the porch. There was a boy in the backyard playing with a dog. The woman on the porch was watching the cars going by in the street.

Suddenly a car pulled out of the street and into the driveway. It pulled in so fast and so hard it hit the bumper of the car that already parked there, knocking out a taillight. The woman on the porch stood up and yelled. The boy in the backyard ran up to the fence along the driveway to see what had happened.

The car door opened and a man got out. When he saw who it was, the boy by the fence ran back behind the house. The man had a red, unshaven face with messy black hair and he pointed his finger at the woman on the porch. The woman yelled something back at him.

The man started for the porch and the woman went into the house and slammed the door shut. The man ran up onto the porch and started pounding on the door with his fists. He was yelling at the woman to open the door. The woman closed the window that opened on the porch, and when the man saw that he went off the porch around to the other side where there was another window.

The man tried to climb into the window. He had his hands on the windowsill and he was trying to pull himself up so he could crawl through the window. The dog in the backyard was barking at him. The woman was yelling inside the house.

Before he could get into the window, the woman in the house started kicking him in the face from inside the house. She was yelling: "Get out of my house! Get out of my house!" She kicked him so hard he let go of the windowsill and dropped to the ground. He sat there for a minute looking up at the window with his face bleeding.

Now the boy was by the fence on that side of the house, watching the man, and the dog was barking at him. When the man saw the boy, he got up off the ground and started for the backyard. The woman yelled at the boy to get in the house. The boy ran behind the house and the dog followed him.

The man climbed over the fence and went behind the house. The woman was closing the first floor windows. Then she started closing the second floor windows.

You could hear the man pounding on the back door. He kept yelling: "Open this door! Open this door!" People started coming out of their houses to watch. They were standing on their porches with their arms folded, watching all this.

The woman was yelling at the man from the one upstairs window that was still open. "Get out of here!" she was yelling at him. "Get out of here or I'll call the cops!" The people on the porches were shaking their heads with their arms folded, watching.

You could see blood all over the man's face as he stood in the yard at the side of the house, yelling at the woman in the upstairs window. "I want my kid!" he was yelling. "You can't keep me from my kid!" He started picking up rocks in the yard and throwing them at the woman in the window.

The woman closed the window. The man broke it with a rock. Then the man came around the side of the house and started throwing rocks at the front door and the front windows. The people watching all this from their porches across the street were looking at each other, shaking their heads and grinning.

The man stopped and wiped the blood off his face with his sleeve. He went back to his car and opened the trunk. He took a rifle out of the car. He walked back to the front porch of the house and started up the steps.

Cars were stopping in the street to watch this. You could see the woman in one of the front, upstairs windows. you could see her holding back the curtain. Then she drew the curtain and stepped back into the house.

The man started banging on the front door with the butt of the rifle. He was yelling: "I'm coming in there!" Then he stepped back and cocked the gun and aimed it at the door. He fired a shot into the door.

The people across the street on their porches were filming all this on their cellphones. The people in the cars in the street got out and took out their cellphones too. There were people standing up and down the whole block watching and recording the whole thing. More and more of them.

The man went up to the window on the porch and smashed it in with the butt of his rifle. Then he started climbing through the window and into the house. You could hear the woman in the house screaming. You could hear a door slamming shut.

There were police sirens in the air now. The people on the porches were waiting to see what was going to happen. Some of them were looking down the block for the police. Some of them were making phone calls.

Then the woman in the house screamed. There was a gunshot. The people on the porches were looking at each other. Then there was another gunshot.

The man came out of the house through the front door. He was still carrying the rifle. Some of the people on the porches went back into their houses. Some of them kept on recording.

A police car pulled up, and then another police car pulled up. The man with the rifle sat down on the front steps of the house. He pointed the rifle up underneath his chin. Then he pulled the trigger and blew his own head off.

Everyone was watching.




I wrote this in a journalistic, emotionless style, like a news story, in tight, flat, four sentance paragraphs to strip out as much emotion as possible and put as much perspective on these events as I could, neutral perspective of someone recording what was happening. I am hoping that puts the action here in even harsher light, harsher relief. And I brought the onlookers into it to articulate the fascination with violence that we have in today's culture and society. I thought in light of the recent violence across the country this was a very relevant story that digs into these questions of what is at the root of gun violence, and what fascinates us with it? Here there are no heros, only failures in a failed society that can't seem to eradicate this scourge, for whatever reason. As usual, I like to make people think and I await your comments with some interest. estory
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. estory All rights reserved.
estory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.