Romance Fiction posted July 10, 2022 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Amy contacts Ali.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 14

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 29 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

At Sam's pick-up, Cordero said, "So Rogers is running free to do more damage. With the crimes Ali's alleged against him, he could be facing some serious jail time."

"You're right. If she were my gal, I'd keep her well-guarded. I'm doing my best to find him, but I have limited staff." Sam adjusted his hat. "I didn't witness it, but from the reports I've heard." He paused. "Warn Rico his spring blade knife might be illegal. I'd need to see it to be sure."

"I understand." Cordero watched Sam leave before he went inside. When he did, he asked, "Dad, did you find security cameras for the house?"


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 14

Saturday morning, when Alexandra entered the dining room, everyone was already seated and enjoying coffee. Rosa held up an empty cup. "Ready?"

Alexandra nodded. "I'm sorry I'm late. I struggled getting to and staying asleep last night."

Jorge asked, "Still in pain?"

"No. I haven't been for a few days." She sipped her coffee. "This is good. Thank you. I needed it."

Rosa took Alexandra's hand. "Ali, maybe you need to discuss what's bothering you. This past week, you've been awfully quiet."

Alexandra studied her cup. "Maybe."

Cordero's eyes met hers. "We could go to our talking bench." He hesitated. "Going for a ride's probably out. If something goes wrong, you could tear open your stitches. If not the bench, maybe a walk."

Standing, Rosa said, "I'll get breakfast on the table."

Jorge stood. "I'll help."

Taking Alexandra's hand in his, Cordero said, "We were getting pretty close. I feel you're pulling away. Why?"

"I'm afraid you'll get hurt," she whispered.

"I figured it was something like that." He hesitated. "Why don't you let me make that decision?"

"I know your answer."

He glanced at his parents walking in. "We'll discuss it on our walk." He waited until his mom and dad sat. "After breakfast, Ali and I are going for a walk."

Jorge nodded. "I'll have Jim tag along."

"Dad, the idea of going on a walk is for privacy."

"He'll be discrete."

Chuckling Cordero added, "Like a bull in a China closet."

*****
After breakfast, Cordero and Alexandra left the house.

Jim caught up with them. "I guess I'm your bodyguard."

Cordero exhaled. "I wanted time alone with Ali." When Jim's eyes widened, he said, "Not that."

Pink graced Alexandra's cheeks.

"Sorry, Ma'am. I didn't mean..."

"You're fine, Jim," interrupted Alexandra. "Cord didn't explain himself well."

"Boss, how do you want me to handle this?"

"Just stay back. We need to talk. I was thinking of going to the clearing by the back pond."

"Makes sense. It's got a lot of wildflowers."

The couple walked side-by-side for a few yards before Cordero took her hand. When she smiled, he nodded. Silence passed before he asked, "Do I have the quiet lawyer with me?"

"Maybe."

Alexandra stumbled and Cordero slipped his arm around her waist. "You okay?"

"Yes." After a few moments, she said, "Cord?" He nodded so she continued, "Do you wish I wouldn't have pressed charges against Pat Rogers?" Before he could answer, she added, "Your life would've been a lot less worrisome."

He stopped, faced her, and took both her hands in his. "Let me make myself clear. I'm proud of the way you're standing up to Rogers. You've empowered four women and hopefully Amy will contact you. I would've been disappointed if you allowed him to continue abusing women."

"But..." She hesitated. "You've come to my aide a few times."

He grinned. "I enjoy being your knight in shining armor."

Laughing Alexandra said, "A white knight riding in on a white steed to save a damsel in distress."

Cordero held up his arm and stared at it. "Not exactly white, how about medium tan? You're hardly a damsel in distress."

"How about I adjust it to a handsome cowboy riding in on his spotted horse?"

"I want to change the damsel in distress to an intelligent, beautiful lawyer who accidently gets into interesting situations beyond her control."

As Cordero's lips almost met hers, her phone rang. "It's Amy! Sorry, I need to take this."

He wiped his mouth and nodded.

"Yes, this is Alexandra Black and I'm an attorney. I'm glad you called." She listened. "Yes, I contacted you because I accidently discovered you were awarded a minimum amount of child support back in 2012 while Pat Rogers was in college. He now owns and manages the Lobo bank. Your child has the right to receive a percentage of what he's now earning, but only if you're willing to go back to court. If you're not, I won't bother you again."

Alexandra listened and then said, "Just a minute." She faced Cordero. "Is there any way I can go to El Paso?"

He thought for a few moments. "I'll take you Tuesday."

She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him. "Thank you." She continued with her phone call. "I can be there around noon Tuesday. I'll bring lunch, and we'll talk while we eat. Is that all right?"

Jim walked up and patted Cordero on the back. "I'd say you made Ali really happy."

"I guess you're right." He chuckled. "Who knew it was that easy?"

After Alexandra put her phone away, her eyes met Cordero's. "Thank you for offering to take me to meet with Amy." Pink touched her cheeks. "Sorry, for my response. I got a little excited."

"I'm not complaining." He offered his hand. "Ready to continue our walk?"

Alexandra accepted Cordero's hand. "I might be able to get Amy close to a thousand dollars a month."

"I'm happy for Amy and for you."

She stared straight ahead. "You know this will only make Rogers angrier."

"I've already thought of that." He pointed. "The area I wanted to take you to is straight ahead." After they sat on a rock, he continued, "I want you to know, I'll do everything in my power to protect you from the fallout." He grinned. "You won't be going to town without an escort."

"I already figured those days were over. What if something comes up and you can't go, and I need to?"

"Dad or any of the ranch hands will be glad to take you." He faced the wildflowers. "Right now, let's enjoy the view."

"It's beautiful and peaceful. It makes me forget how messed up the world is." She laid her head against his arm. "Thank you."

"I'm happy I've got the talkative lawyer again."

"Really?"

"Yes really. Or maybe I should say the girl-next-door; the one comfortable being herself."

"How do you know this is the real me?"

"Because you're relaxed. I'm betting you'll sleep well tonight. You've worked through some of the problems bothering you." His eyes met hers. "Is there anything else we need to discuss?"

"Not really. I'm still confused on how to solve the other problem."

"What would that be?"

"How are we going to compromise over our living situation?" She took a deep breath. "Sorry, I'm making the assumption you want to."

"I definitely want to." Cordero leaned over to kiss her.

Before their lips met, Jim pointed. "Boss, there's a fast-moving storm bank building." He turned. "Sorry Boss, but we need to head back."

Cordero stood and studied the clouds. "You're right but your timing could be better." He pecked her cheek and offered his hand. "Let's go."

A few yards from the barn lightning and thunder shook the sky. The rain held off until they entered the house.

Inside Alexandra glanced around. "Where's Samson? He normally greets me at the door."

Cordero tilted his head toward the bedroom. "Follow me." At his bedroom door, he pointed to the black hairy blob sticking out from under the bed.

Alexandra laughed. "He's scared of storms."

"Yep, as large as he is, storms scare him. I guess he figures if his head is under the bed the rest is safe."

"Poor baby."

"Don't empower him. He's a mess."

Rosa called, "Cord, Ken Green has a sick Blue Heeler and wants you to drop by."

"Do you have his number?" He hesitated. "Will you call him back and tell him I'm on my way?"

When Jorge grabbed his hat, Cordero's eyes widened. "Dad?"

"Sam hasn't arrested Rogers yet. Not only does Ali need somebody with her. You do too."

"Dad, I'm an adult male. I can take care of myself."

With both parents staring at him, he sighed. "Ready, Dad?"

Before Jorge and Cordero left, they checked to make sure the doors and windows were locked.

On their way to Cordero's pick-up, Jorge went to the barn. "Jim, Cord and I need to run out to Ken Green's ranch. Keep an eye on the ladies. I've made sure the house is locked tighter than a drum. Tuesday security cameras will be installed. I ordered some for the barn too."


~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy
 



Recognized


Thank you google an image of storm clouds moving in. While I posted, I edited some more. I hope this post doesn't have too many errors. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.