General Poetry posted July 8, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A most peculiar Australian animal.

A Duck Critiques A Platypus

by LisaMay


What’s with the duckbill, you odd little creature?
Mine is for real, but yours? What a feature!
A Platypus? Never heard of it, you’re making up lies.
I think you have stitched up a strange disguise.
I am a REAL duck, but you seem a quack,
made up of pieces of this and of that.

Your bill feels like rubber. Should that be allowed?
Your fat tail’s a rudder, would make beavers proud.
Your body is streamlined and covered with fur.
My own has down feathers. How did that occur?
You swim underwater to your burrow home,
but I fly or waddle whenever I roam.

You have a spur that you use for defence;
there's poison in it, the pain is immense.
Eggs we both lay, but you suckle your young.
I live many places, but you dwell in far-flung
Australia, that's home to the odd and unique.
You are so weird; I think you’re a freak!

Oh no, that’s unkind, please don’t think me a jerk.
It’s just your appearance — you have ev’ry quirk.
You’re so rare and precious; to see you is a treat,
for you keep to yourself with habits discreet.
You’ve adapted so well with your clever skill.
My friend, you’re amazing — you special Duckbill.


 



Animal Opinions writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a humorous poem about one animal's opinion of another. Any style, rhyming or free verse welcome.
Have fun!


About the Platypus:
'Duckbill' and 'Platypus' refer to a small aquatic monotreme which is only found in freshwater creeks and rivers of east and south-eastern Australia (Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia).
They have a broad bill, a furry body with a sturdy tail, and webbed feet. Their 'duck bill' is flexible, rubbery and feels like suede. It's often used to dig up food from the riverbed. A Platypus bill is also highly sensitive. Platypuses use electroreceptors on their bills to detect electrical signals given off by prey as it moves.
The Platypus is the only species in the family Ornithorhynchidae. The name Platypus comes from the Greek word for 'flat-footed' - they're very awkward on land, walking on their knuckles to protect the webbing of their feet.
The Platypus is one of very few venomous mammals in the world. The spur on the male's hind foot is connected to a venom-secreting gland. Expert swimmers, they use these webbed feet to propel themselves and use their tails to steer through the water. Their dense, silky brown fur is both waterproof and insulating. Along with the fat reserves in their tails, their fur allows them to stay warm underwater.
Platypuses don't have nipples but they do suckle their young; milk is secreted through pores and licked off the mother's skin or fur. (The beak would make conventional suckling difficult.)
The International Union for Conservation of Nature has upgraded their status to 'Near Threatened'. Elusive by nature, there is a lack of reliable data about where and in what numbers they occur. They are protected by legislation in all of Australia's eastern states.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.