Fantasy Fiction posted July 7, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
comforting

My Figment Friend

by pome lover

An Encounter with the Supernatural Contest Winner 


 
 
 





 

I was so tired, I just wanted to go to bed and snuggle with something soft and comfy. My wonderful dog, Smiley, was at the vet’s overnight, so he was out, as a bed fellow.

I had been outside all hot afternoon, transplanting plants. I came inside, had a heavenly shower, and decided to go to bed early.

I turned down the covers and… something was making a dent in my pillow, but … there wasn’t anything there. That was odd, but I was so tired I just collapsed.

“Help! I’m being smothered!” something said.

I lept up. “Who said that? Whoever or whatever you are, I’d appreciate it if you’d make yourself visible,” then, under my breath, I said, “unless you’re scary looking and will give me a heart attack.”

Just then, my phone rang and I grabbed it, breathless. My granddaughter’s voice said, “Gran? You all right?”

I said, “something’s in my bed.”

She laughed. “What? A spider?

“Something spoke to me and said I was smothering it, but nothing is there.”

“You really heard that?” she said.

“I, um, could have imagined it. But darlin', as much as I’d love to talk to you, I’m off to Never, Never Land, unless it’s something important. You okay?” yawn.

“Fine, but Gran? Call me tomorrow, okay?”

“You got it. Love you.” I hung up and looked back at my bed.

As I watched, a little ghost, sort of fuzzy-ish, appeared. It yawned, hugely, eyes trying to stay open but not succeeding . It was kinda cute, though it faded in and out.

I stood there, and almost went to sleep standing up.  So I got in bed, hoping mystery friend had moved out of the way.

During the night, there was a peaceful presence, and I actually slept without waking up, once.

When I woke up, there was no little friend, but I felt … happy.

I hope he/she/it will come back. It was comforting. However, I think it will be my little secret. I don’t want my granddaughter thinking her grandmother’s crazy. Well, any more than usual.


Writing Prompt
Word Count 300-350
Story will include yourself & ONE family member during an encounter with ghosts/spirits.
No deathbed/hospice/battlefield scenes
Your Fiction story must be written suitable for children--G rated.
Black font only


An Encounter with the Supernatural
Contest Winner

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.