General Fiction posted July 2, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
No new information here, just a realistic look at my reality

Aging, In Conclusion

by Reese Turner


First thoughts of the new day. Have you ever taken note of your first thoughts in your new day?" the ones you have even before you fully open your eyes? I do now...

I have no idea what my first thoughts of the day were when I was a boy and we don't want to visit what those were during my teenage years in the 60s. Or, in the early 70s, when the military dictated what my first thoughts were to be or, later, that looming chemistry test...

Of course, during those "real-life, I now have a wife? And, who knew, kids, too?" years, first thoughts of the day were probably focused on getting the young going and/or earning a living. Being the primary provider for housing, food, plus shared responsibilities for general life-lessons on survival and manners, medical care, skinned knees, and broken hearts, not much room left on the mental morning list for anything else. Bell rings, launch!

Next, what are most inappropriately called "The Golden Years"; Not as much gold coming in and a higher percentage of it going out for the repair of body parts which once worked just fine. So, I am reminded now, often in my first morning thoughts, of upcoming medical appointments, procedures, tests, etc., having to do with the passing of time. My time. Further, there is the memory issue. When I say, "I can't remember the last time I forgot something", I am not kidding!

As if I needed a dramatic reminder of my age, I live in a small town which has only a weekly newspaper. As a result, death notices are left around on every public cashier's stand in town; grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, even the hardware store! So, wherever I go, there is notice of who has died in the last day or three. In recent years, I started noting the ages of the departed. More recently, I have noticed that more than half are now my age or younger! Talk about a morning reality check!

Oh, this month, I've had a couple of mornings where religious issues were first on my mind as my day began. I am a believer, but I just don't normally think about it that much that early. My dogs, morning coffee, that knee which needs replacement, something around the house which needs fixing, these are usually the first of my waking wanders. Out of the gate, religion is, no pun intended, a new revelation.

Is God sending me morning messages that I might have over-estimated my immortality, and some due diligence might be prudent? Not sure I'm ready to believe that, but I do know what a guilty conscience feels like and maybe mine is saying, "Good morning. Can we talk?"

In conclusion, I stand corrected. I have ordered a new New Testament audio from Amazon, committing to start my day with the fifteen minutes it suggests. Before the coffee or the news or thoughts of golf, or even instructions from my wife, I shall focus on my future. (Full disclosure: I will still have to give worldly precedence to letting the dogs out and their feeding as they come in. I am sure He will understand.)



In Conclusion contest entry


Nothing to add but my resolve to give thanks for every day and prayers for deliverance when they are no more...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Reese Turner All rights reserved.
Reese Turner has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.