General Fan Fiction posted July 1, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An unexpected turn

Blessed Brother/ Part 6

by John Ciarmello


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Prologue / part 5

"That leaves you, Father. You're the rightful heir to her fortune, and I can't do anything about that. It wouldn't do me any good to kill you, but what happiness will your fortune bring you without Remi."

Remi's torso heaved, and saliva flowed over his bottom lip and onto his chin. Everett wiped Remi's face with the sleeve of his robe. "Please, you said you had an antidote; you can reverse this!"

"Yes, Father, and from what Remi has told me, you can too."

Everett inadvertently touched near his neck and quickly pulled his hand away.
"Perhaps you're right to pray for me, Father, so my revenge on all of you will not fall on merely the Devil's ears."

Owen placed the barrel of his gun at the back of Everett's head. "Give me the Medallion, Father."



Blessed Brother / Part 6


Everett lowered his head and felt the cold gun barrel slip on the sweat of his neck as he laid Remi's arms to his sides. "He's gone," he said in a breathy whisper. Owen took the barrel from the back of Everett's head and tapped it on Everett's shoulder. "I've had a small change of heart, Father. I want you to revive Remi."

"Why the change of heart? I doubt Remi's death has softened you."

"No, Father, I'm not a big believer in sappy emotions. My entire plan to poison Remi was to see how the Medallion worked. However, Remi may have a surprise for you before I kill him for good, and I'd love to see the look on your face. It's kind of the icing on my cake. Oh, no, no, Father." Owen waved a pendulous finger. "Don't look at me with thankful eyes yet."

Everett looked down at Remi and removed the Medallion from his neck. He held it in his right hand and placed the other on Remi's chest. A pale yellow light glowed beneath Everett's palm; Remi sat up and inched away from Everett's attempted embrace, bracing his back against the wall.
 
"Welcome back, Remi. I hope you gave Satan my regards." Owen tossed the .45  to Remi, and Remi pointed it at Everett's head.

"Remi? What are you doing?"

 "I'm so sorry, Uncle Ev."

Everett raised his praying hands. "Forgive me, Sweet Jesus," he said and dropped the Medallion into his underpants.

"Don't be a fool, Father; that will be easy to retrieve from your dead body."

Everett turned and stared at Owen. "And that will be the only chance you'll have over my dead body!"

Everett turned his gaze to Remi. "Remi? Why?"

"Owen said he would help me. Please, give him the Medallion so no one gets hurt."

"Remi, c'mon, this is ridiculous!"

"Stay back, Uncle Everett; I swear I'll use this." Remi stared into Everett's eyes; his two-hand grip on the .45 quivered uncontrollably.

"What have you done to him? This isn't my nephew."

"The boy has a mind of his own. Isn't that right, Remi?"

Remi shook the gun at Everett's face. "That's right, Uncle Everett, I have a mind of my own; now give me the Medallion!" 

Everett looked down, and his shoulders relaxed. "What did he promise you, Remi?"

"The boy wants his mother. So I promised him we would bring her back."

"I need her back in my life, Uncle Ev. Please give him the Medallion."

Everett gazed compassionately at Remi. "He's lying to you, Remi. Your mother's been gone far too long now, don't you see?"

Remi came to Everett and cocked the .45. "All I see is you wanting her inheritance."

"Owen, please, I'm praying for an ounce of compassion from you. You can stop this charade and undo whatever thoughts you've put in his head."

"I think the boy is doing just fine, Father. However, I believe you need to stop your charade and give us what we want."

"He's right, Uncle Everett." Remi double gripped the gun and pointed it forcefully in Everett's direction. "You don't know what it will mean to me to have her back. Now stop thinking about the money and give me the -"

"Remi, you keep talking about the money; think about it; I'm entitled to your mother's money because there's a certificate stating your mother is dead. Things wouldn't work out well for anyone if suddenly your mother showed back up in this life."

Remi paused for a second. "I'll hide her; no one would know she even existed except me!"

"Remi, that's your mother. What kind of a life would that be for her?"

"She wouldn't care as long as she had me." Remi shook the gun frantically.

Everett turned and looked up at Owen. What's your plan, Owen? You heard him. None of what he's saying makes any sense."

"It makes perfect sense to the boy, Father. I've already had Claudia's body exhumed under the pretense that I'll be bringing her back to Utah with me. The boy wants to be with his mom; I will make that a reality for him."

Everett paused and turned to Remi. "He's going to kill you, Remi, can't you see? It's a perfect crime. His promise to you to be with your mom? He's going to keep it, alright, but it's going to be you and her in the same coffin. Then, after it's reburied, no one would be the wiser. Isn't that right, Owen?"

"Oh, tisk, tisk, Father. It seems you're the one with the diabolical mind. Don't you think so, Remi?"

"Yeah, I can see it!" Remi's brow furrowed.

Everett grinned and shook his head. "And how're you going to finish me off, Owen? You wouldn't be stupid enough to leave me alive after you've killed Remi, or maybe you are that stupid! Now that you mention it, you don't look that smart at all, Owen."

Owen's smug expression changed. "Watch your mouth, Father!"

"I'd like to know one more thing, Owen. What does the devil do with a religious artifact? Of course, you can't sell it, and God won't allow you to use it for evil, but how is the devil to know such a fact? I guess you are as stupid as you look."

Owen's lips pursed, and his eyes widened. "Shut up! Do you hear me, shut up, or I'll push my plans up and kill you both where you stand."

Remi turned his gaze to Owen. "You son-of-a-bitch."
 
"Oh, fuck you, Remi. What were you expecting; a long-lost nurturing uncle. Let me guess, is this your first time being betrayed? Not to worry, it gets easier to handle as life goes on. You're shaking like a leaf, Remi. I'd have to take a guess and say you've never killed a man before?"

"No, but I've killed some maggots in my day."

"This sounds like the gunfight at the O.K. Corral, but that wasn't as dragged out!" Owen broke out in guffawing laughter. "You should monitor his TV watching a bit closer, Father." 

Remi's face reddened, and his cheeks deflated with a puff of air. "You're a cruel son-of-a-bitch, Owen." He raised the .45cal silencer and placed his trembling finger on the trigger.

Everett jumped to his feet. "Remi, NO." 

Click! Click! - Click! - Click!

To be continued:


 



Recognized


My apologies for the delay. My computer problems are now resolved, I think! Thank you for taking the time to read it. I hope you enjoy this part. There will be one more part to this and possibly its sequel.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by seshadri_sreenivasan at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. John Ciarmello All rights reserved.
John Ciarmello has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.