General Fiction posted June 25, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Always ...

Kind and Caring

by Wendy G



Three days previously John had met for lunch with some former work colleagues.

He always enjoyed those regular lunches – because of one ex-colleague in particular. Unfortunately, John was married, and a very respectable and respected member of society!
So was she. No, this relationship would never develop.

John was a good husband. No-one would ever say otherwise. He always cared for his wife well, brought her tea in the morning, and breakfast in bed. She had a rare, but not fatal, illness.

One of these friends notified John that three of their group had just tested positive to Covid. John was strong, and chose not to take a test. Knowing instinctively what the result would be, and that he would only have a mild case, he didn't tell his wife.  

A few days later she developed symptoms, and, being vulnerable, became quite ill. John cared for her as before, but within days her breathing was laboured. Was an ambulance needed? Hospital beds were scarce. He'd wait and see.

The next day she was only semi-conscious. He smiled. This was the perfect cover. He could never be blamed. Lots of people die from Covid, don't they?

John would call an ambulance – later. First he had a phone call to make. No response the first few times.

Finally a weak voice answered.
"I … can't … talk," she whispered, "I have Covid. My husband  … found out …. He won't call an ambulance …. I … can't breathe. I'm dying."



250 Word Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Totally fiction ....
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.