General Non-Fiction posted June 12, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Not very successful

Never again ...

by Wendy G

A Family Story Contest Winner 



Father worked long hours, with much driving. Hence we had few weekend outings. However, one Saturday evening – a surprise!

Our parents were taking us to the drive-in theatre – myself, brother Geoff, and younger sisters Lindy, Robbie, and Jill! How exciting!

The first problem was the seating arrangement. Station wagons had a bench seat in the front – which Geoff demanded, befitting his status as the eldest. The four girls were squashed together in the back. Seat belts were not compulsory then. We left early to get a prime position in front of the screen.

When we arrived, Father wound down his window so the speaker box could be hooked inside. The volume was too loud for the front and not loud enough for those in the back. Of course! Father reminded us sternly that too much talking was the problem.

None of us girls could see over the heads of the tall ones, even sitting on our pillows. We demanded a turn in the front. Unsuccessfully. Geoff tried to slide down a bit, refusing to relinquish his prestigious position.

Robbie climbed into the luggage area, but didn't want to be on her own. Father was losing patience with our squabbling. And we were missing the preliminary cartoons ....

During the interval, he sent Geoff and me to buy food at the kiosk – a huge parcel of greasy fish and salty cholesterol-laden chips, wrapped in newspaper. Geoff made me carry it, although it was almost too hot to handle. He carried the money and the change – befitting his status as the eldest.

The next contentious issue was the distribution of chips – whether the servings were, or even should be, equal. Father was not happy.

Some of the little ones fell asleep during the children's movie. Another problem arose: "I can't see, and now she's got her head on my shoulder, so I can't even move!"

After it finished, pillows were re-organised, and we were all told to go to sleep as the main movie was for adults. We were all suddenly awake. Eventually we girls succumbed to sleep.

At the end, a great honking of horns signalled appreciation to the drive-in staff for a "wonderful evening". We all woke up again.

Father was in a hurry to leave, as was every other family. Long queues. At last he saw a gap and drove off – forgetting that the speaker box was still in the car. The cord snapped. Father was annoyed. Somehow it was our fault.

By the time we arrived home, three girls were asleep again. Father made multiple trips carrying each inside.

That was the last drive-in outing. I wonder why?


Writing Prompt
Word Count ~ 400-450
You and Your real sister, (and possibly real brother) go on
a family outing
Keep it G (suitable for children)

A Family Story
Contest Winner

Recognized


(447 words)
A station wagon has an accessible luggage area - simply by climbing over the back seat.
My parents sat in the front as well as my brother.
I spoke only of my father for brevity and consistency with the introduction.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.