Biographical Non-Fiction posted June 8, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A little music history

Save the Last Dance for Me

by Terry Broxson


In 1958, my mother thought it would be a good idea if her two sons learned how to play the piano. Today, I can see how this also marked a lifestyle transition to achieving status in the middle class. It would have been impossible to spend money on piano lessons had my father not improved our financial situation.

I was twelve, and my brother was eight. I hated it. Six months after starting the lessons, I played at a recital. I played the one tune I had learned, Swiss Lullaby. I played it really well. Okay, maybe not. I am not sure. There is nobody left alive to say yea or nay.

I told my mother I wanted to play baseball. I wanted to be like Mickey Mantle. This led to my early career as the first baseman for a little league B team. That is also where my baseball career ended.  

My brother became an excellent piano player, guitar player, songwriter, and singer. He was one of many who could never make a living at it, but still, he was dang good.

When I hit sixty and retired, I bought a guitar and decided to take up music again. I learned how to play eight cords pretty well. Most country and folk songs only have a few chords, so I learned about forty tunes I could play and sing. 

I must admit that the singing was not near as good as the guitar playing, which was pretty bad. Those interested can independently verify this statement by looking me up on YouTube. A video I never should have posted. It did go viral. It got seventeen or so views. I didn't even have to pump it.

One of the songs I learned to play was "Save the Last Dance for Me." This was a mega-hit in 1960 for the Drifters when the lead singer was Ben E. King. It is a great song. It is like a bluesy ballad with a rock and roll beat. 

When I did learn to play and sing it (that is just pure ego talk, there is very little truth to that statement), I got interested in the lyrics. I think I was like many kids in the 50s and 60's who knew the names of the performers and maybe a musician or two but very little about the writers.

Writers like Bob Dylan, who also performed, were an exception. Most writers worked in the back rooms, not on stage.

"Save the Last Dance for Me" writers were Mort Shuman and Doc Pomus. Doc wrote the lyrics. They were a prolific writing team who cranked out a lot of rock and roll hits in the 50s and 60s. Doc continued to write into the 70s and 80s and had more hits.

Doc Pomus was a stage name. His real name was Jerome Felder. He had started as a performer but contracted polio and needed the use of a wheelchair, and it was at that point he concentrated on writing.

When I discovered that Doc's wife was a Broadway dancer, the lyrics to his song took on new meaning. I imagined Doc sitting in his wheelchair and singing that song to his dancing partner.

Doc Pomus was elected to the Song Writers Hall of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the first non-African-American to receive the Rhythm and Blues Foundation Pioneer Award. He died in the early 90s.
 



  



Recognized

#32
June
2022
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Donna Colley at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.