General Poetry posted June 6, 2022 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Some facts about June's Super Moon.

A chapter in the book Earth's Magnificent Moon

June's Strawberry Moon

by BethShelby

 
Our night orb’s dubbed Strawberry Moon,
for fruit desserts we eat in June--
thus, called by ancient native tribes
and verified by early scribes.
 
The Celtic people had names too.
Rose Moon and Horse Moon are a few.
It matters not what name you use.
Enjoy its beauty and its hues.
 
The year is almost halfway through.
June holds a treat for us to view.
The orbit tends to magnify
when super moons grace nighttime sky
 
Four super moons we’ll have this year;
two more are scheduled to appear.
For ideal times, you’re on your own.
On June fourteenth-- check out your zone.

 
The Farmer Almanac has a schedule for the stages of the moon: 1st Quarter is June 7, Full moon is June 14, Last Quarter in June 20 and New Moon will be June 28. Our full moon this month will be the last full moon of spring.  The summer solstice will be coming on June 21st.

Super moons occur because the moon’s orbit is elliptical, and we usually have them four times a year. This is a time when the moon is nearest the earth. The time it appears largest is when it is near the horizon because the layers of atmosphere magnify it as well. Photographing it with a building or tree nearby makes it seem very large in comparison. In the dark of the night, the full moon will appear very bright. The best time for viewing will depend on your zone, but the date is June 14th.

Some June moon folklore you might find interesting is a growing Moon and a flowing tide are lucky times to marry. Days following both the New and Full Moons are most likely to be rainy or stormy according to the Almanac.

The name Strawberry Moon was used by Algonquin, Ojibwe, Dakota and Lakota peoples, among others. This was because the strawberries were ripening this time of year. The Cherokee called it the Green Corn moon for obvious reasons. Maybe their emphasis was more on the corn for roasting.

If you’re into Astrology, you might like to know the moon is said to be stationed in Sagittarius and Sagittarians are considered the explorers of the zodiac, so you may get a bad case of wanderlust during the full moon. Mid-June supposedly brings on an array of opportunities, bright ideas, and good fortune The free-spirited fire sign is all about seizing the moment and expanding your mind and heart  According to what I’ve read, the full moon is the ultimate time  to manifest your most sophisticated and cosmopolitan dreams. Since I know little about Astrology, make of this what you will.

 



Recognized

#120
June
2022
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.