General Poetry posted May 26, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A new poetic form in honor of George Floyd (1973-2020)

George Floyd (1973-2020)

by Lobber


every life matters to most, while gasping
“I can’t breathe” are just words, bringing
pain ... riots … looting ~ BLM — to center ring.

==================================================================================

Author's Notes:
The above Rhyming Poem has been three years in the making. I have created a brand new poetry format and I hope it will be part of my legacy. I call this poem’s structure - Extended Sidecar. The poem is comprised of three units. This structure builds on an earlier two-year format that I named a Sidecar poem in May, 2021.  The timescale to write the three units requires 2-3 years, and the final rhyming, three-part poem should not be made public until the third-year anniversary of the original event - in this case, the tragic death of George Floyd in 2020.

History: Three years ago, I wrote a poem entitled Resistance?”. . . .. ‘a martyr in the making’. I submitted the poem as a Lune Poetry Contest entry in 2020. The poem references the killing of George Floyd in 2020 - one of the great American tragedies. 

Floyd’s famous plea - I can’t breathe  - forms the second line of the Lune poem. 

Floyd died on May 25, 2020. Five days later, I posted this Lune poem:

every life matters
“I can’t breathe” ~
pain … riots … looting

FS Rules for the Lune Poetry Contest - 
The poem has 5 syllables in the first line, 3 syllables in the second line, and 5 syllables in the final line. Rhymes are acceptable but not required. The subject matter is open.

Extended Sidecar Poem
The Extended Sidecar Poem is a new form created by FS Member - Lobber, between May, 2020 and May, 2022.

There are three ways to read my completed Extended Sidecar poem - “George Floyd (1973-2020)”

1. []  Read just the blue font downward - this is my original three-line Lune poem entitled “Resistance” - posted May 30, 2020.

every life matters
“I can’t breathe”
pain ... riots … looting

2. []  Read the blue and red fonts across, then down - this is my three-line, Sidecar,  20-syllable poem entitled “Three Little Words” - posted May 10, 2021.
 

every life matters to most, while
“I can’t breathe” are just words,
pain ... riots … looting ~ BLM

3. []  Read the blue, red, and ‘black’ fonts across, and you have my final three-line, Extended Sidecar poem, entitled “George Floyd (1973-2020)” - posted May 26, 2022.

every life matters to most, while gasping
“I can’t breathe” are just words, bringing
pain ... riots … looting ~ BLM — to center ring.

==================================================================================

Rules for writing a three-year Sidecar Extension poem.

Poem A: Write a 3-line Lune (5-3-5) poem.  Select a topic or event that you can celebrate, pay tribute to, or honor annually for three years. (Suggestion) - Use blue font.

Poem B: For the 2nd year anniversary use Poem A to create a new “20-syllable” poem, i.e. Sidecar Poem (Poem B) by extending each line of your original 3-line Lune poem. Use the blue font for the original poem words and (Suggestion) - Use the red font for the new words (i.e., 7 additional syllables). Poem A and the new Poem B must address the same topic.

Poem C: For the 3rd year anniversary, extend each line of Poem B to create an Extended Sidecar poem (Poem C) on the same topic, and where all three lines must now rhyme. I maintained the colorings of the fonts used in the original Poem A and Poem B, and use the black font for the additional new words used to create Poem C - i.e. the Extended Sidecar poem.

Note: All three poems must address the same topic. There are no limits to the number of syllables for each line of Poem C.

In tribute to this American tragedy,  I decided that the colors of 'red and blue' on 'white' as most appropriate.

- Lobber, aka 
Gerald (Jerry) J. Smith

N.B. - For those wishing to write either a "Sidecare" or "Extended Sidecar" poem, I would ask that you give credit for the form(s) to Lobber, the original poet and creator. (May, 26, 2022)




Rhyming Poetry Contest contest entry

Recognized


The "N.B." the end of the above document has a typo - it should be Sidecar not Sidecare.

Earlier postings related to this poem:

"Three Little Words" - Where is justice? - posted May 10, 2021 as a 20-syllable poem
https://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?hd=1&id=1023261

"Resistance? - . . .a martyr in the making - posted May 30, 2020 as a Lune poem
https://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?hd=1&id=983325

>>>>>
On May 25, 2020, George Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, was killed in Minneapolis, Minnesota, while being arrested for allegedly using a counterfeit bill. During the arrest Derek Chauvin, a white police officer with the Minneapolis Police Department, knelt on Floyd's neck for about nine and a half minutes after he was handcuffed and lying face down.Two police officers, J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane, assisted Chauvin in restraining Floyd, while another officer, Tou Thao, prevented bystanders from interfering with the arrest and intervening as events unfolded.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lobber All rights reserved.
Lobber has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.