General Fiction posted May 24, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A memorable six months

Stoned

by Wils


Imagine a pair of eyes staring directly at you, boring into your soul making you feel sheepish and small. That was the Stone Glare and the secret weapon of my English teacher, Mr John Stone.

Mr Stone was only my teacher for six months but in that short period he increased my love of the English language and taught me more about life, and myself, than anyone ever had.

He had a unique way of involving everybody in the lesson, whether they wanted to be or not. Unlike many teachers who you fell asleep to, Mr Stone would start a lesson and, by picking out a particular student, illustrate how their use of speech or writing can be used in everyday life.The worst days filled with Science and Math’s lessons ended a lot brighter after a session with Stone.

When it came time to choose a school debate team, Mr Stone thought I’d be a good candidate and encouraged me to join. Me, being the shy teenager that I was, declined the invitation. When the team went on to win, he made a point of dropping me a wink with the comment “Bet you wish you’d joined now.”

Being in a country town where everyone knew everyone it was common knowledge that Mr Stone was about to become a father. He enjoyed relating the latest stages of his wife’s pregnancy and the common nervousness of new parenthood. The day his son was born he rushed into class, fifteen minutes late and grinning widely. He looked at me directly and said “Young man, whatever you do make sure you are at your wife’s side when your children are born. It is the best thing in the world.” Those words have stuck with me for forty years. Who knew it would become common practice.

As it was only a small school, Mr Stone sometime stood in as the physical education teacher and enjoyed inflicting us with the pain of  long, cross-country runs. I suffered from epilepsy and, although I had not had a seizure in years, it was after one of these runs that I scared him to death and had a seizure. He managed to retain his composure and somehow get me to hospital. When I had another one six weeks later, he knew exactly what to do and even managed to knock on Mum’s door to report “I think he’s having another one.” When I saw him many years later, we were still able to laugh about it.

I can only think that there are many kids who have been subject to the Stone Glare and have long memories of Mr Stone.

 



A Memorable Teacher writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write an essay about a teacher who left an imprint on your life-either good or not-so-good
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wils All rights reserved.
Wils has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.