General Non-Fiction posted May 22, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My first teacher

Barbara

by prettybluebirds


There are good teachers, and there are exceptional ones. My cousin, Barbara, was one of the best. She taught in one-room schools throughout the county and held the position of principal and sole teacher for Crystal Lake School where I started kindergarten. I was fortunate to have Barbara as my first teacher.

It was a mile walk from our farm to school, and Mom appointed my brother Ken to care for me and see that I got there in one piece. Everyone knows brothers are not good babysitters; Ken resented the fact he was stuck with me. He walked so fast I could barely keep up. I can still picture Ken with his hands jammed in his pockets, a grim look on his face, hoping the other boys wouldn't notice me tagging close behind him.

I was upset and crying by the time we reached school. I was terrified already because it was my first day of school ever, and the long walk with a grumpy brother didn't help any. Barbara, whom I already knew, came over and calmed my fears, then took Ken down in the basement for a little chat, as she put it. Ken held my hand on the way home and remained much friendlier after that.

Barbara began the day with the Pledge Of Allegiance To The Flag. After which, we sang God Bless America. Then came everyone's favorite part, Barbara would read us the next chapter of whatever story she was reading to us at the time. You could have heard a pin drop; it was so quiet. It was the highlight of our day.

Other times, Barbara would break up the day by announcing, "Let's sing a silly song." Our favorite was Do Your Ears Hang Low. To this day, I can recall every word. It went like this. "Do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro? Can you tie them in a knot, can you tie them in a bow? Can you throw them over your shoulder like a continental soldier? Do your ears hang low?" Barbara was instrumental in introducing all forms of music to her students. It wasn't all funny stuff.

Barbara taught all eight grades and still gave each child individual attention. She instilled a love for reading in all of us and took the time to explain things we didn't understand. Barbara had endless patience and kindness. She drilled us for days at Christmas and presented a holiday performance for our parents. She had us make little baskets for Mother's Day and took us to the nearby woods to pick flowers to put in them. There wasn't a child in school who didn't love her.

Barbara's children, Elizabeth, Curtis, Marge, and Stanley learned alongside the rest of us. Stanley was a bit of a mischief-maker, and when he pushed his mother too far, she would take his hand and escort him to the basement. My parents permitted Barbara to correct us in the same manner. We knew what that meant; behave or get our hind-ends paddled. We behaved. Maybe kids today could use some basement time. 

Barbara was one of the great teachers. I think it was her love of teaching that made her so different from all the others I knew. I had several more teachers in my years of education, but none were as compassionate and kind as her. She gave me an excellent attitude towards learning new things that I still enjoy today. I will remember Barbara forever. She is gone now, but she will live on forever in the minds of her students and children.


 



A Memorable Teacher writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write an essay about a teacher who left an imprint on your life-either good or not-so-good

Recognized

#43
May
2022


The old schoolhouse had a finished basement where PTA meetings were held. At Christmas, we had lunch there after our performances. It was fun. Nobody wanted to go to the basement for Barbara's (chats) We loved her and respected her. The photo is of my brother Ken and me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.