General Non-Fiction posted May 22, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My memories of my Uncle Stan during WWII.

Uncle Stan

by HarryT


At 17 in 1942, you enlisted in the navy to fight for our country. Though upset when the family was told, we still gathered to wish him good luck and a safe return. Tears flowed as we hugged and kissed goodbye.

I thought you looked great as you walked out of the house, sporting a navy-blue blouse, fluttering black ribbon tie, and those snug-fitting bellbottoms. Susie, the girl next door, kissed you and asked you please to write.

You wrote they assigned you to a navy troop ship taking Marines to islands somewhere in the Pacific. Radio operator was your job. You never told us you were often in harm’s way at places like Tarawa, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. When Mom received a letter, often filled with cutouts, she would read it to Dom three and me four. You usually said life on the ship was routine, unless Japanese Zeros zoomed down out of the sun. Then you had to run and shoot at them with your pom-pom gun.

Dom and I would always write a letter back. However, being only three and four years old, our writing comprised pages of wavy scribbles. We insisted Mom put our letters in envelopes and mail them… Don’t really know if she ever did.

We prayed every night with Mom and Dad for your health and safety and for all the ships and for victory over the scary Japanese. When the war finally ended, we celebrated and waited with great anticipation for your return in 1945. I still remember your words when we saw you in Grandma’s backyard; you opened your arms and hugged us. The first thing you said was, “Hi Guys, thank you for your prayers. I’m sure they helped me to come back to you guys and the rest of the family.”

You were a great uncle, taking us downtown to military parades on Michigan Avenue, to Lincoln Park Zoo and the Science Museum. Doing other fun activities, swimming and playing softball and basketball as we grew older, even allowing me to drive your new 57 blue and white Chevy.

I don’t think I ever said this to you...Thank you for your service to our country, for helping to preserve our way of life, and for being a wonderful uncle. I will always love you and remember you.

Your nephew,
Harry
 



Armed Forces Day 2022 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Word Count: 350-400. This isn't Memorial Day or Veterans Day, yet it honors those in service in all branches of the military in many countries besides the USA. Write a story that involves you and your family. Please post writing with a content rating G (suitable for children).


Story is told as if I were speaking to my Uncle Stan. He passed away ten years ago.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.