Biographical Non-Fiction posted May 19, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Another Gift Giving Occasion.

The Graduate

by Terry Broxson




Recently, I retired from posting stories. I thought my tank might be empty of anything interesting. Maybe it is.

I don't write much fiction. I admire those of you who can.

The stories I do write are found in my everyday life. I try to look at the humorous side when possible. This week a story did find me in the form of a high school graduation announcement that I wanted to share as it underscores an evolution of society I have observed over the years.

During my time on FanStory, I have chronicled my forty-five years with my wife, Zoe, until her death four years ago. We never had children. We never sent out a wedding or graduation invitation. 

Any special occasion parties we invited folks to attend specified no gifts. Zoe always made an exception if it was her birthday, wedding anniversary, or Christmas.

When kids of friends or extended family had weddings or graduations, Zoe handled it. She would get it right. But without her, it is a challenge. 

For the last four years, I received an invitation when someone got married or graduated. I am guessing they thought, "Zoe would want that kid to have something!"  I don't know if Zoe knew that kid. I didn't. But I would send something nice from their wedding registry or a graduation check because I didn't want them to think bad about Zoe. 

Of course, I keep a record. It has been seven weddings and three thank you cards. So far, there have been fourteen high school graduations, and two thank you cards.

Two and half years ago, I gave a very nice Kitchenaid food processor to the kid of one of Zoe's friends. Last week I got a thank you card. I guess they thought, "Well, the SOB ain't gonna die, might as well send him a card!"  

The announcement I received this week prompting this editorial said that the High School Class of 2022 includes a grand niece of mine. 

Between  Zoe and I, we have twenty-one grand nephews and nieces. I can identify one of them. I even know his name. There are a lot of weddings, graduations, and then birth announcements yet to come.

Woe is me. Woe is my bank account. 

Here is my letter to my grand niece. I met her one time six years ago.

Dear Kaitlyn,

Congratulations on graduation from high school. This letter represents:
(Please check one)

1. An amusing graduation card.___
2. A very insightful graduation card.___
3. This is bullshit. He couldn't afford a card.___
4. All of the above.___

There is a check enclosed. While I don't know you, I do understand your mother.

She will say, "You need to save that money for (fill in the blank)__________." Or she might say, "You should spend it on (fill in the blank)________."

My worldly advice is to be very nice to her. But say with conviction, "Mother, it is my name on the check!"


Your Great Uncle,

Terry L Broxson

P.S. In place of a thank card, please return the brief survey in the enclosed stamped self-addressed envelope. 



To: Terry L Broxson

From:____________. Name of responder 

Date:___________

Thank you for your generous gift of _____________. (This is a test, can you identify the gift or amount of the gift.)

Please check all that apply:

1. I don't know who you are________.
2. I asked mother if she could show me a picture of you___(She had one.)____(She did not have one.)
3. My mother was surprised at the amount of your gift.___(She thought it would be substantially more.)
4. My mother was surprised at the amount of your gift.___(She thought it would be substantially less.)
5. I thought about friending you on my social media accounts.___(But it would be creepy to have someone that old.)
6. We are keeping you on our list for all of our future gift-receiving occasions.____
  


  


 



Recognized

#18
May
2022
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.