General Fiction posted May 17, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Everyone thinks there's time. That's not always the case.

The Bridge

by DeboraDyess


Almost home.

It had been too long, she knew.

John wasn't bad. But he wasn't her father.

"I loved your dad, Sybil, but he's --"

"Dead. I know." She'd stormed off, leaving her mother's words hanging in the air like the last leaf of a blighted tree, dry and dying.

She regretted it. She thought of the years that made her distance seem right and sighed. So many things could've bridged the gap she'd created between them.

Only a few miles more...

Then a front tire blew. The bridge's guardrail loomed ahead of her. She veered right. Cold, rushing water raged into the car, momentarily paralyzing her. She jerked hard on the door handle ... again ... again ... and nothing.

The water rose quickly. No time for 911. Grabbing her cell, she hit numbers she'd known since childhood.

"Momma," she breathed into the phone as the water reached her chin, "I love you."



Flash Fiction contest entry


According to Word, TheWordCounter.com, and WordCounter.net, this is 150 words. I'm not sure what's up with the FS approximate word counter, but I'm going with the other three. :) Thanks to those who taught me that sometimes a word counter will count elipses as a word. Who knew? Well ... Some of you knew. lol

Make the time, find the person, and fix the issue.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DeboraDyess All rights reserved.
DeboraDyess has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.