General Fiction posted May 15, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
250 Word Max - Flash Fiction competition Entry

No Angel

by Dick Waters


“What is it this time?” Bill Reagan, the search coordinator asked.

“We found a clue to her location.” Peter, the youngest of the searchers responded.

They both watched as the black lab got too close to the smoke canister and sneezed. “Oscar NO! Come over here boy.”

“So, what did you find?”

“It’s over here written in the snow.” Peter said, leading the way over to an area marked off with broken branches right near the smoking cannister.

“I don’t see a thing.” Bill exclaimed shaking his head.

“You could easily miss it, but it’s written right there in the snow. Oscar, show him where you found it…show him boy!”

Oscar jumped up from where he was and continued leaping up and down over to the area just below the burned-out signal flare.

“Can you see it now?” Peter excitedly asked.

“I can’t see anything written anywhere.”

Peter walked over to Oscar who was doing his best to sit, as he was trained to do. However, the snow was deep and crusted in the area. “It’s written right here, so she must have been here after yesterday’s snow fall. See it?”

“I think you both are crazy…I don’t see a thing.”

“Here, look – K. S. Brooks, Photographer.”

“Oh my God, I see it, but how in the world did she do that?”

“Mr. Reagan, what I want to know is if she wrote that after the snow fall, why didn’t she leave any foot prints? I know she’s no angel.”
 
 
 




Photo courtesy of K.S. Brooks (www.indiesunlimited.com)
This is my entry into that site's weekly free flash fiction competition - this week's prompt was that photo and the word "Signal."
Please feel free to check out that site for articles and other things about writing and publishing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.