Romance Fiction posted May 15, 2022 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cord, again, comes to Ali's rescue.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 11

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 16 days ago


ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Jorge pointed at his bedroom. "I'm going to bed. I suggest everybody does the same. Morning's in a few hours, and we won't get a lot of sleep moving those cattle." He left with Rosa on his arm.

Alexandra said, "I'm heading to my room."

Cordero touched her arm. "Before I leave, I want to be sure everything's good between us. I don't want anything festering while I'm gone."

Her eyes sparkled. "Rest assured the only thing that'll be festering is I'll miss you." She ran to her room and closed the door.

He chuckled. Those eyes and that perfume get to me every time.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 11

When Alexandra heard movement inside the house, she glanced at her phone. "It's almost three-thirty and they're up." She jumped out of bed. I need to hurry. She brushed her teeth, splashed water on her face, and ran a brush through her long brown hair. Finally she hurried into some clothes. I'll shower later. She left her room for the kitchen.

Rosa glanced up. "Ali, I didn't expect you up this early."

"What can I do? I'm sure there's a lot. Where are the guys?"

"Outside." Rosa glanced at the clock. "I expect them in about thirty minutes." She pointed toward the coffee pot. "Pour that pot into a thermos and start another."

"I'm on it."

When Jorge and Cordero came inside, Rosa and Alexandra had just set breakfast on the table. Rosa glanced around. "Where's Jim? He needs a good breakfast too."

Alexandra headed toward the door. "I'll get him."

Cordero called after her. "What are you doing up?"

"Helping," she called over her shoulder.

She returned with Jim in tow. He grinned. "I was waiting for Gary, so I could fill him in on his duties, but Ali's impossible to say no to."

Cordero set his jaw. "He's not here, yet? Did he understand when we're leaving?" After calling Gary's number, Cordero said, "He'll be here in about twenty minutes."

Jim sat. "I reminded him at least five times. Maybe more. I told him to be here Tuesday morning by four-thirty." He paused. "Thank you for asking me to join you."

Rosa grinned. "You need a good breakfast, too. And yes, Ali's charms are hard to resist."

They laughed as Alexandra studied her plate.

At four-fifty, they all walked outside and the men packed the last minute items.

When finished, Jorge hugged Rosa. "We should be back late Thursday. I'll stay in touch, but remember I'll have no way to charge my phone. I'll turn it off and only check it once in a while." They kissed.


Alexandra stood off to the side and watched Cordero. Their eyes met, and he walked up to her. "I'll stay in touch, but our phones..."

"I heard your dad," she interrupted as she licked her lips.

Cordero drew her into a hug.


"Be safe." Alexandra kissed his cheek and went inside as the men left.

*****
 
     Early Wednesday evening, Cordero and Jorge walked into the kitchen, and Jorge called, “We’re back.”

     Alexander turned around as her eyes lit up.  “I’m glad you’re home.  Is everything all right?  I didn’t expect you until tomorrow.”

     He stared over her shoulder at Jorge kissing Rosa.  “Dad’s fine but needed to return early.”

     She nodded.  “I see.  Are you leaving again?”

     “Yes.  As soon as I give Hart some time to pack.  He’ll be going with me.”  Cordero studied his dad and mom.  “Dad, ready?”  He grinned at Rosa.  “We’ll be back in a few minutes.”

     As Jorge walked out the door, Rosa whispered to Cordero, “Is your dad all right?”

     “He needed to come back early.  We’ll be inside in a few minutes.”

***** 
 When Cordero returned inside, he walked up to Alexandra.  “Why didn’t you tell me about Hart?

     “Because I’m always causing trouble.  This time I took care of it.  You don’t need to.”

     “What happened?”


     She rubbed her arms as goosebumps crept across.  “After petting Bendecida, I was going inside.  Gary introduced himself and shoved me against the barn wall.  He said something about a little kiss won’t hurt anything.”

     Alexandra exhaled.  “I kneed him in the groin.  As he grabbed himself, I reached for a shovel and hit him in the head, then ran inside.”

     Cordero kissed the top of her head and whispered, “It’s impossible for you to stay out of trouble, isn’t it?”

     With Hart by his side, Jorge came inside.  “Ali, are you all right?”  After she nodded, he continued, “Hart has something to say.”

     Gary stood beside Jorge but was unable to make eye contact as he spoke, “Ms. Black, I’m sorry.  I acted like a jerk and shouldn’t have said or acted the way I did.  Please accept my apology.”  He rubbed his head and faced Cordero.  “Boss, I’m sorry I disrespected your gal.”


     Cordero formed fists as he glared at Gary.  “Around here we don’t disrespect women whether they’re my lady or not.  If you’re on the ranch or off, all women are to be respected.  I expect that from every person who’s employed here.”

      Jorge’s eyes met his son’s.  “At the very minimum he needs to be on the range with you.  Don’t move anybody here.  You’ll need all hands moving the cattle.  I’ll take care of the ladies.”


     Rosa asked, “Need something to eat or drink?  Ali and I were about ready to fix dinner.”

     Cordero grinned.  “I could use both, but it would have to be quick.  I’ll leave in maybe twenty minutes.”

     Pointing toward the den, Rosa said, “This morning the security cameras and equipment were delivered.  I had them put in the den.”  She turned toward the kitchen.  “Ali and I’ll have something on the table in a few minutes.”


*****
     Inside the den, Cordero and his dad surveyed the equipment.  Jorge said, “If I were you, I’d take it with you and set it up.”

     “You’re right.  If we don’t, we’re leaving the herd vulnerable.  I’m not sure how to travel with it.  Since I have my pick-up, I can get it as far as my place, but I’ll leave the truck there and go the rest of the way by horse.  I don’t have room on horseback.  If I trailer Chip, I’d have to leave the truck in the field.  That’s inviting somebody to steal it.”


     Jorge said, “We have two pack mules.  You could use them.  I know it’ll be slow going, but it can be done.”

     After releasing a deep breath, Jorge added, “I know you don’t want to hear this, but I don’t like the idea of you traveling that far on horseback in the dark by yourself.  You could take Gary.  He’s young.  I feel he’s learned his lesson.  He deserves a second chance.”


     His eyes met his son’s.  “But you’d have to control your temper.  I know if we didn’t arrive when we did, he might’ve hurt Ali.”

     Cordero stared into space.  “I’ll think about it.  I don’t need to make a decision until I get to my place.”

     He chuckled.  “You know since you’ll be taken care of the ladies, you’ll have to keep Ali safe?  She can’t stay out of trouble.  You may want to hire a bodyguard.  She’s a full time job.”


     He turned when he inhaled her familiar scent and grinned.  “You can’t sneak up on anybody.  That jasmine perfume gives you away.”

     Alexandra’s eyes met Cordero.  “Food’s ready.  I don’t need a bodyguard.”

     His eyes widened.  “Are you sure?  Should I remind you how many times I’ve come to your aid?  My question is who protected you in New York City, your dad?”


     As he placed his hand on the small of her back and headed toward the dining room, she said, “Things are different there.  I had a car service that took me from my apartment to my job and back again.  I wasn’t out and about.”

     Jorge asked, “So you didn’t have freedom to move around on your own?”  Before she could answer, he added, “I couldn’t live like that.”

     As they sat at the table, Alexandra said, “I hadn’t thought about it, but I guess you’re right.  No, I didn’t have the freedoms I do here.”


     Warm tortillas, shredded chicken, and a variety of vegetables were on the table, as Rosa said, “I hope this is all right.”
  
Cordero helped himself. "It's great, Mom. Thanks."

Pausing a few moments, Rosa asked, "Are you still planning on returning Thursday?"

After taking a bite, Cordero said, "Since we're using mules, it'll be at least Friday. I hope not Saturday." He hesitated. "Maybe I can have two guys follow with the mules, and the rest of us move the herd. Once we've secured the herd, some could go back and help."

Jorge nodded. "That might work."

Cordero faced Alexandra. "Anyway, I'll keep you updated. Is that okay?"

Her eyes sparkled. "It's better than okay."

After eating, Cordero stood. "I need to leave."

Jorge shook his son's hand. "Be safe. Gary will be waiting for either his last check or instructions."

Cordero nodded. "I'll think about what you said." He watched Alexandra talk on her phone. When she hung up, he asked, "A problem?"

"No, it's good news. I've set a meeting for the women Pat Rogers abused Friday afternoon at four o'clock. Your mom fixed it so we can meet at the church. I have four women attending."

"That's great. I'm glad some women came forward." He walked toward the door. "You want to walk me to my pick-up?"

Alexandra accepted his offered hand. "Of course."

At his pick-up, their eyes met. He glanced around and then leaned in closer. As their lips nearly met, the outside light flicked on.

Rosa yelled, "Cord, you forgot your coffee thermos." She hurried and handed it to him.

Alexandra suppressed a smile.

"Thank you, Mom."

"Did I interrupt something?"

"Of course not." He kissed his mom's cheek. "See you Friday."

As their eyes met again, Alexandra kissed Cordero's cheek. "Be safe."

"I will."




[We leave Thursday for my granddaughter's high school graduation. I WILL NOT post the next chapter on Sunday because that's the graduation ceremony. I WILL post on Monday, May 23. While we're back in the Midwest, we'll be visiting our other children and their families. I'll try to post on the 29th but can't promise. I'll do my best to post on or by the 30th. We'll be with our son who has two little girls, ones 3 and the other's ones 18 months. I'm not sure about the ability to have a quiet time. Maybe naptime. LOL We'll return home on Wednesday June 2. I'll do my best not to fall and break anything this trip. LOL]

~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Elote (eh-LOH-teh), also known as Mexican street corn, is salty, sweet, crunchy, and creamy in every bite. It hits all the right flavor notes, especially hot off the grill in the summer months when fresh corn is at its peak and abundantly available at every market. It's a popular street food in Mexico and can be served as a snack or side dish.
~~~~~

#####
I changed the name of the town from Alpine to Lobo. The reason for the change is because Alpine is a real town. It's very quaint and a lovely town in West Texas. In this post the owner of the bank, Pat Rogers takes unfair advantage of young ladies, and I didn't want anybody to assume the bank in Alpine is like that. This is only fiction and will always be only fiction.
#####

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Joyce: Cords' ex-girlfriend

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand



Recognized

#11
May
2022


Thank you google images of pack mules. Again, yesterday I made changes. I hope I didn't leave in or take out needed words or punctuation. I have no clue why I find these changes that need to be made the day before or as I post. LOL Thank you for the review and encouragement. This post is a little over 1600 words and covers two days.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.