General Non-Fiction posted May 13, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Trouble about ...

The ring

by Wendy G


Money was tight during our childhood, but we all had a small amount of pocket money, including my sister Robbie.

One third was to be banked in our little bank tin, thoughtfully sponsored by a banking corporation to encourage children to be money-wise.

Another third was for the Sunday School collection.

The remaining third was ours, for sweets or treats.

But Robbie wanted a ring, with a little metal band and a glass glittering "diamond". She chose to not follow the rules, and saved all her money until she had enough to buy a ring.

She asked me, her big sister, to take her to the shop. Gasping with delight and anticipation, she looked long and hard at all the rings, and chose the biggest and glitziest. She adjusted it to fit her finger perfectly. We walked home.

"Where did you get that ring?" asked Mother, suspiciously.

Robbie was caught. If she admitted she had not put money in her banking tin, and even worse, not given to God's work via the collection plate, she would be in big trouble.

So she lied. "I found it!" she stammered.

"Where did you find it?" Mother pursued.

"At school …" She was digging a deeper hole.

"You stole it! You knew it wasn't yours! You took another girl's ring!" Mother was angry.

"Fetch the strap from behind the back door! I'll teach you not to steal!"

The strap was the third and worst level of punishment, after a smack, or the wooden spoon.

Robbie started to cry with terror. We all joined in, knowing what was imminent.

I tried to save her.

"No, she didn't steal it. She saved up all her pocket money!" I cried.

"Then she lied to me! I'll teach her not to lie! And she didn't give to God's work! Get the strap!"

Five of us crying, a real cacophony!

"If you don't stop that howling, you'll all get the strap!" Mother threatened.

We ducked and ran around crazily, screaming and crying.

Mother chased … but didn't manage to catch any of us!



TrueFamily writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Word Count 300-350
Story must include You and Your human sister(s) from same father and mother as Yourself 
No vulgar words, profanity, sex,satire or farce

Recognized


A very true story!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.