General Fiction posted May 4, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a 150-word story

In Country

by Bill Schott



The tracks in the path are fresh. It has not been long since someone had been this way.

The loose soil near the tree trunks, which define the width of this passage, makes Rick suspicious. Mines?

Lowering himself to a prostrate position, he feels the ground for a stick. Finding one, he begins probing the soft earth at a thirty-degree angle.

Snap! A footstep behind him sends panic throughout his body. He springs from the damp grass, spinning and landing in a crouch facing the direction of the sound. The stick, once a tool, now positioned to be a weapon.

Rick sees a small figure, frozen and wide-eyed, mouth agape and appearing to be on the verge of tears.

"Daddy? Are you okay? You scared me!"

Rick's severe facial contortion relaxes to a smile, then a toothy grin. The conflict that haunts him, once again, replaced with his present joy.


 



Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.