Spiritual Non-Fiction posted May 1, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Exploring the Bible for an answer

Did Jesus Go To Hell?

by Deniz22

QUESTION: What is the argument against the teaching Jesus spent three days in Hell?

ANSWER: To be fair, this use of "hell" probably doesn't mean the place of the damned before the Great White Throne Judgement.

It may be used as a euphemism for "Sheol", the Old Testament name for the place of departed spirits.
Jesus elaborated on what was behind the curtain of Sheol. He revealed two sections, separated by a great gulf.

"There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day.

But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table.

Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom.

The rich man also died and was buried.

And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

"Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'

But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things;
but now he is comforted and you are tormented.

And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.'

"Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house, for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'

Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.'

And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'

But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "
Luke 16:19-31 NKJV

COMMENT: Jesus also prophesied He would go to the bosom of Abraham:

Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You."

But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Matthew 12:38-40 - NKJV

COMMENT: Another name for "the bosom of Abraham", which is in the center of the earth, is "Paradise", which is where Jesus went for the first of the foretold 3 days before the resurrection.

"Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom."

And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."
Luke 23:42-43 NKJV

COMMENT: All those redeemed before the cross were awaiting His arrival and He eventually led them into Heaven, as in all things He has the preeminence, as "the Firstborn from the dead."

Now when a believer dies it's "absent from the body, present with the Lord"!


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Deniz22 All rights reserved.
Deniz22 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.