Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted May 1, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
250 Word Max - Flash Fiction competition Entry

Eagle Sign

by Dick Waters


Eagle Sign

“Sweetie, your grandmother was always tuned into watching for signs. She mentioned to me that a nearby Cardinal was a sign that a recently passed love one was reaching out to say they were okay.”

“Daddy, what was she like and why didn’t I ever meet her?”

“You sometimes ask the toughest questions. She had red hair like you, and freckles across her nose too. She was a great woman, just like you’re going to be. Sometimes life doesn’t work out the way we want it to.”

“What else did she do?”

“She could hold her finger out in the back yard, and most often a butterfly would land on it.”

“I lost a good friend at school to COVID. Why do the ones we love have to go to heaven so soon?”

“Another tough question. Just remember to enjoy the time you have with those you love…enjoy every single day.”

“Daddy, is the wind making you cry? Daddy, look at the pretty bird walking on the shore.”

“Sweetie, that’s an Eagle, and a strange sight to see so close and walking. That’s our country’s national symbol.”

“Would grandma say it was a sign?”

“Now that you mention it, maybe she would. I’m not sure we’re still headed in the right direction, given the fuse they just lit to our First Amendment.”

“What’s that?”

“That my dear, is our ability to express our opinions, and ask tough questions like yours.”

“I’m going to remember today.”

“I hope so.”
 
 




Photo courtesy of K.S. Brooks (www.indiesunlimited.com)
This is my entry into that site's weekly free flash fiction competition.
Prompt is Brooks' photo and the word "Beachside"
If we are not careful, we will lose our ability for Free Speech, and we will be no different then the countries that control what people are allowed to say.
The constitution (First Amendment) specifically says to make no laws which prevent free speech. Don't let anyone start to take away what makes this country great!
Sorry, (no, I'm not) it's time to stand up for what we believe in!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.