Romance Fiction posted May 1, 2022 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cordero makes a mistake.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 10 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 14 days ago


ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Actually, I haven't even touched on the reason I came in today. These were things I happened to walk in on. I came to tell you it was wrong getting Maggie Benton drunk and putting ideas in her head about her relationship with Cordero. Yes, we figured out you were the instigator. I'll be contacting your lawyer over the other situations."

Alexandra turned toward the door. "One more thing, I won't be going to Houston with you this weekend."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 10 B

When Alexandra returned to the ranch, she put the ice cream containers in the freezer. "Rosa, as soon as I change my clothes, I'll put away the rest of the groceries. It won't take long."

When Alexandra returned, Rosa asked, "Did you get everything done in town you wanted to?"

"Yes, plus a lot more done than I expected." Samson came up to her. She put the last of the groceries away before she knelt and looked into his eyes. "You're such a good boy."

Rosa laughed. "He has you buffaloed."

"You know he's a sweetheart."

"He is, but I'm not sure he's a house dog. Please notice Klaus and Otto spend most of their time outside, and he's larger than they are." Rosa turned her head when the dryer's buzzer sounded.

Alexandra walked toward the laundry room. "I'll get it. Who do they belong to?"
"They're yours."  Alexandra's eyes met Rosa's. "You didn't need to do that. I would've done them myself."

"I got to thinking you haven't done laundry since you came. I hope you don't mind me helping myself."

"Of course not, but really, I expected to do my own laundry. It's not your job. I don't want to cause you extra work."

"I don't mind. I was doing laundry anyway."

After Alexandra filled the basket, she headed to her room. "I'll be right back."

*****
Before Alexandra returned, Jorge came from the den into the kitchen. "Rosa, did I hear Ali? Has Ali returned from town?"

"She's putting away laundry, why?"

"While she was in town, she caused quite a stir. I've already gotten six phone calls."

Rosa's eyes widened. "She didn't say anything. I wonder what happened."

From the front entrance way, Cordero walked in carrying boxes of supplies. "I can't wait to hear her side of the story."

"So you've heard about it too?" asked Jorge.

He set the boxes down and turned toward her room. "Sure did. I'll ask. The rest of the stuff can wait until later."

At Alexandra's room, Cordero knocked on her open door. "Ali, can I come in?"

She glanced up. "Sure." Her eyebrows rose when Rosa and Jorge showed up behind him. "Is there a problem?"

Jorge grinned and glanced at Rosa's ringing phone. "Not a problem, just curious. We want to know what happened in town. My phone hasn't stopped ringing, and Rosa's just started."

Cordero grinned. "People stopped me in the store. Out with it."

Jorge turned toward the dining room. "Let's go to the table. We'll be more comfortable. That's where we normally discuss things." His eyes met his wife's. "Can you get us some tea? I have a feeling we'll be there a while."

After everyone was seated, Jorge tipped his glass toward Alexandra. "Please share."

Alexandra started with waiting for Pat's important meeting to end, the conversation she'd overheard, walking in on them, getting Lisa's side of the story, and letting him know she was going to contact Amy Harding. She also told them about her original reason for being there, her knowing that he instigated the issue with Maggie Benton and then ended with telling Pat she wouldn't accompany him to Houston.

Cordero's eyes met hers. "I know you have the freedom to do whatever you want, but I'm glad you've decided not to go."

"I knew the day he asked I wasn't going. I just wanted him to worry."

Rosa laughed. "You've got more stinker in you than I thought."

Alexandra's eyes sparkled.

With a chuckle, Cordero said, "Those eyes."

When the doorbell sounded, Rosa got up to answer.

Alexandra heard Rosa welcome Sheriff Sam Baily and frowned. "I guess I caused too much trouble."

Jorge and Cordero stood and shook Sam's hand, before Jorge offered him a seat. Rosa set a glass of iced tea in front of him.

After he sat, Sam faced Alexandra. "You sure caused a ruckus."

"Sorry, Sir. It just happened. It wasn't my intent."

"We've suspected something like that was happening but never had enough proof for probable cause. Do you know if anybody's pressing charges? I sure hope so."

"I'm giving the ladies time to think. If I don't hear anything by the end of the week, I'll organize a meeting and see if anybody attends. If they don't, I guess Pat gets away with it."

"Hopefully somebody talks." Sam took a drink of the tea. "Thank you. This sure hits the spot. It's hot out there." His glance first went to Cordero and then to Jorge. "What I actually came for was one of your stolen bulls escaped its captors and has been terrorizing the city park and playground. He's a mean one. My men can't even get close."

"Our bulls haven't been around humans." Cordero took a drink of tea. "I'll get my tranquilizer gun and have Jim hook the cattle trailer to my pick-up. Dad, you coming? I'll call Bob and get a few more men. We'll need as many men as possible. He's well over two thousand pounds."

Jorge nodded. "Sure." Then he paused. "Mijo, what are you going to do with him? We're moving the herd tomorrow. He can't stay here tonight. Our fences aren't strong enough to hold him."

Cordero took a deep breath. "We'll have to take him to the pasture. Mom, can you fix some sandwiches? We'll be late for dinner." He grabbed his cowboy hat. "Thanks Sam. I hope he hasn't done too much damage."

Jorge frowned. "Ali was going to cook us a fancy Mexican dinner."

"If you can give me a time estimate, I can make sure it's done at your expected return."

Glancing at his watch, Cordero said, "We should be back by say seven-thirty. You agree, Dad?"

"Maybe earlier, but that's a safe time." Jorge kissed Rosa's cheek. "Be back later."

Cordero winked at Alexandra. "See you at dinner."

"Be safe."

*****
Just after seven o'clock, Jorge, Jim, and Cordero pulled into the ranch's large parking area. They witnessed Jewel repeatedly rearing up and stomping. Alexandra stepped back and fell into the horse watering trough.

Cordero ran to the corral, grabbed Alexandra's arms, and yanked her to safety. "Jewel's wild! It's stupid to go in there by yourself! What were you thinking?"

Alexandra pulled away and ran to the house.

Jim used a stick and lifted a dead diamondback rattlesnake. "Boss, Jewel wasn't attacking Ali. She was protecting her from this."

Lifting his cowboy hat, he replaced it, and scanned the work that needed to be done. "I need to apologize, but it'll have to wait."

Jorge's eyes met his son's. "My experience with women, after you've told them how stupid they are, you'd better apologize immediately. Get in there and grovel. We've got this."


~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Elote (eh-LOH-teh), also known as Mexican street corn, is salty, sweet, crunchy, and creamy in every bite. It hits all the right flavor notes, especially hot off the grill in the summer months when fresh corn is at its peak and abundantly available at every market. It's a popular street food in Mexico and can be served as a snack or side dish.
~~~~~

#####
I changed the name of the town from Alpine to Lobo. The reason for the change is because Alphine is a real town. It's very quaint and a lovely town in West Texas. In this post the owner of the bank, Pat Rogers takes unfair advantage of young ladies, and I didn't want anybody to assume the bank in Alphine is like that. This is only fiction and will always be only fiction.
#####

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foreman's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: bank owner, possible suitor for Ali

Sam Bailey:  Lobo's Sheriff.

Maggie Bentson:  an acquaintance

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Joyce: Cords' ex-girlfriend



Recognized

#12
May
2022


Thank you google images for a photo of a Newfoundland. Yes, they gigantic dogs, but truly marshmallows. I thought maybe I would give Samson a highlight today. I will be posting Chapter 10 in three parts, each a little over 1000 words. This post is over 1100 words. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.