General Flash Fiction posted May 18, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The mysteries of life.

The Dryer is Right there!

by papa55mike


Every Saturday includes Wanda washing the few clothes we have. The first load of towels finishes, and Wanda lays them across the shower doors to air dry until morning.

Our dear little friend Allison, who's seven, is visiting today. While drinking from her sippy cup, she's studying what Wanda is doing and asks, "What'cha doing, Wandi?"

"I'm letting the towels air dry until morning."

"But the dryer is right there, and it will have them dry in a few minutes."

"I know, sweetie."

"Mama throws them in, right out of the washer, then does her dance," she begins to shake everything.

Wanda chuckles, "Most people do, but I'm different."

"That's just nonsense, Wandi," Allison's confusion leads to frustration. "The dryer is right there!"

"It's okay, Allison. Life is full of mysteries, and people do things differently."

"I guess. But the dryer is right there!"

"I'll throw them in the dryer tomorrow morning, sweetie."

Allison walks away, shaking her head. "I just don't understand."




Yes, this was an actual conversation.

In the picture is Randi Sky Morris posing with our dryer. What a ham!

A sippy cup is one that can't spill unless you really try.

Wandi is the pet name all of the kids have called her for years unless they want something. Then in a pitiful, slow southern drawl, they whisper, "Wanda."

We had the first clothesline that Allison had ever seen. I can't count how many times those children have run through the hanging clothes, exiting with huge smiles.

If I had remembered half of the crazy conversations we've had with all of the children in the past, it would quickly fill a couple of funny books.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.