General Fiction posted April 13, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Barbara and Ariel make the trip back to Earth.

A Trip to Earth

by Gina Schneller


The ship rattled and shook as it descended through the Earth's atmosphere. It had been over twenty years since the Government deemed the air breathable and families could gradually return to the once populated planet. Ariel and Barbara were beyond excited to see their mother's homeland. To walk the ground she had strolled on, to see the baseball field where their mother met their father, the home they had created with love for their growing family. Sadly, neither their mother nor father made it through "The Great War of 2030."

The Walters family now consisted of Ariel, Barbara and their disgruntled cat, Boots. He provided the girls with the companionship and entertainment that they needed to cope with the high stress, 6-year journey back to earth.

The landing could have gone smoother but outside of several computer simulations, the girls had no real practice. The three explorers set out to find the home they had longed to see at 52 High St. Mom had given the girls the coordinates many moons prior with a hand drawn map of the town. She was adamant that they return there.

Approximately 2 hours into their walk Boots began growling. All the hair stood up on his back and he let out a long hiss, one they had never heard from him before! "What in the world?" Barbara asked. Ariel hesitantly turned around to a see a small, mangy looking mutt standing beside a broken-down shed. It had been years since they had seen a dog, this one looked so weathered and skinny.

"A dog?" Ariel asked in some bewilderment. She slowly tip toed over to the animal with her hand stretched out and palm facing up as her mother taught her years back.

"Wait, Ariel! Is it safe? I mean it's a wild dog! Looks gross too!" Barbara said as she took a step back.

"Excuse me, I'm not gross! It's been a long few days! You aliens decided to start invading our turf!" The dog spoke without an issue. Ariel's jaw dropped.

"Did you just speak?" Barbara asked with a half-smile on her face. She knelt on the ground.
"Yes, I did! And boy do I have a lot to tell you!" The dog said as he sat up straight and looked Barbara right in the eye. "There's a war about to break out and we need to stop it! Sit down and listen because you are in for more than you bargained for."



Future Flash Fiction contest entry


Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gina Schneller All rights reserved.
Gina Schneller has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.