Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 6, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An unusual use for a pair of tweezers.

Attached to my Swiss Army Knife

by LisaMay


My father gave me a shiny new Swiss army knife when I went overseas for the first time as a young woman. All those attachments helped me become self-sufficient, resourceful, and to be a useful companion in an emergency. I was equipped to face the world! Little did I know my most memorable situation would involve tweezing an engorged tick from a Turkish tortoise’s neck, so it could retract its head into its shell again.

 




Author Note:
This is a true story. I was travelling with a companion in the back blocks of Turkey. We saw a tortoise by the side of the road. My friend by chance was a trained herpetologist (a branch of zoology dealing with reptiles and amphibians) and he observed there was something wrong with the tortoise that it couldn't retract its head. He picked up the tortoise and we discovered the huge tick on its neck. I got out my Swiss army knife and while my friend held the tortoise I was able to gently pry the tick loose and remove it. The tortoise promptly pulled its head into its shell then peed on me. I like to think it won the next hare and tortoise race.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.