General Fiction posted April 6, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Couldn't be ...

Uncle Jack

by Wendy G






Uncle Jack was forty-two, with twin daughters and a son – the joys of his life, along with his beautiful wife.

Because he drove long distance trains, he was frequently away from home overnight. His returns were always very special  as his fun and humour filled the house with happiness and laughter.

He enjoyed the responsibility of driving trains, and the ability to spend much of his working life driving to and from country destinations, always appreciating the beauty of nature.

At various country stations, he became friends with many of his regular passengers, as they disembarked for the opportunity of a snack or coffee break, while he dropped off mail and parcels.

This day started like all others. He was due back in the city during the late afternoon. Suddenly he knew something was wrong.

He applied the emergency brake, and his train immediately started to slow. The second engineer hurried forward to the driver's cabin.

As the train glided to a halt, fifty metres from the platform, he reached Uncle Jack, who'd collapsed at the controls.

He'd had a fatal heart attack. All passengers were safe, because of Uncle Jack's actions in a crisis. He was a hero.



200 Word Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story of 200 words. not including the title. Any subject accepted. Must be exactly 200 words.


The emergency brake is known also as the "dead man's switch".
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.