Romance Fiction posted April 3, 2022 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali and Cord discuss his previous relationships.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 8

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover she's the girl next door?
Cordero and Alexandra met 12 days ago


ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As Cordero pulled into his parking place at home, his phone rang. "Who could this be? It's one-thirty." He answered. "Sure Dale, I'm on my way." He faced Alexandra. "One of the foals is in danger. I need to leave." He opened his door.

"I can get inside by myself."

He jumped out and rushed to her door. "I need to ensure you get inside safely."

At the door, he said, "If I'm not back by breakfast, let Mom and Dad know what's going on. This might take a while." He jogged to his pick-up.

Alexandra watched him leave before she shut the door.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 8

Cordero had not returned by Saturday's breakfast or lunch, but often called his dad with different options to try to see if he could find a nurse mare. The foal wasn't going to survive if one wasn't found.

Around two o'clock, Alexandra heard Cordero's pick-up pull into his parking space in front of the house. She ran out to meet him. "How's the baby?"

"It was touch and go for a while. Right now, she's okay. Has Dad found a nurse mare?"

"Not yet." She felt the roughness of his not shaving and picked a piece of straw from his shirt. "You haven't slept, have you?"

"I got a few minutes on some bales of hay here and there." He scratched his razer stubble. "I'm sure I'm a mess." He put his hand in the small of her back and led her inside.

Once in the hallway, Alexandra stood back and gave Cordero a once over. "You're actually pretty sexy."

He chuckled. "Now I know you prefer bad boys." His eyes twinkled as they met hers. "I'm going to catch a few hours of sleep. Make sure I'm up for dinner." He winked as he went to his room.

*****
About a half-an-hour before dinner, Cordero walked into the kitchen. "Dad, have you found a nurse mare?"

"Not for sure. I have a lead on one. I'll know later tonight."

Cordero nodded. "Where's Ali?"

Rosa pointed. "She's at the corral with Jewel."

His eyes widened as he headed toward the door.

His dad called after him. "Don't worry. Jim's with her."

At the corral, he grinned at the view of Alexandra petting Jewel's muzzle. "When Dad said you were with Jewel, I was concerned, but I see you were careful." He nodded toward Jim.

Jim walked up. "Don't worry, Boss. I'll take care of your gal."

Alexandra's eyes met Cordero's. "Jewel was lonely." She smiled and rubbed his cheek. "I see you cleaned up, a little."

"Just a little." Cordero pointed at the barn. "How about after dinner we take a ride?"

"Are you sure? You've got to be tired."

"Riding relaxes me. I need a sunset ride. I hope you'll come along."

"I'd like that."

*****
During dinner Jorge said, "I heard you two caused a ruckus last night at The Railroad Blues."

Alexandra studied her plate. "I'm sorry, Jorge. It was my fault."

Cordero's eyebrows rose. "You were the victim." He touched her hand. "The person to blame is Rogers. He set everything in motion. You just reacted."

"That's the problem. I reacted. I know you." She scanned the people sitting at the table. "I know your parents. If I had taken time to think, I'd have known something was wrong with what Maggie said."

Jorge chuckled. "I hear for a city gal you have a pretty good punch."

Rubbing his jaw, Cordero chuckled. "She does."

With cheeks a full crimson color, Alexandra said, "Sorry about that."

Rosa tilted her head. "How did I miss this? Would somebody fill me in?"

Cordero glanced at his mom. "Rogers cut in to dance with Ali. During this dance, he led Ali to believe I had a habit of mistreating women. He used Amy Harding as an example."

Jorge set his glass down with a thump. "Sorry. That was cleared up years ago with a DNA test."

"I know, Dad. He still hasn't accepted it. From what we can gather, he got Maggie Bentson drunk and talked her into verbally attacking Ali. She said Ali was hitting on her boyfriend. Ali was accused of being the 'other woman'."

Rosa reached over and took Alexandra's hand. "I'm sure that hurt." She glanced toward her son. "Hence the reason for the slap."

"Yep." Cordero gave Alexandra's shoulders a hug. "We've worked through it and are good, right?"

"Yes, again, I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing."

She nodded.

As dinner finished, Cordero stood. "Mom, I'll help with the dishes, then Ali and I are going for a ride."

Alexandra stood. "I'll help too."

Jorge answered his ringing phone. After hanging up, he said, "Hijo, we have a nurse mare. She'll be delivered to Dale's ranch about noon tomorrow."

"Good. I'll be there."

*****
As Cordero and Alexandra left the corral, she asked, "Are we riding anywhere special or just riding?"

"How would you like to see another one of my favorite star watching places?"

"I'd like that." She hesitated. "But what about wild animals?"

He lifted his shirt revealing his holster and then pointed to a rifle attached to his saddle. "Don't worry. I've got it covered."

"Of course you do."

He studied her riding. "You're really doing well with this. You're a natural."

Alexandra smiled. "I had a good teacher."

He grinned.

After passing a rock formation, they came to a small creek. Cordero pointed ahead. "We're here." He dismounted, walked over to help Alexandra down, and then tethered the horses. He patted each one. "We'll only be here a short time."

Cordero held out his hand and grinned when she took it. "There are rocks over here to sit on."

They sat for a few minutes in silence, before Alexandra said, "I was wondering..."

"Just say what's on your mind," interrupted Cordero. "I'll answer as honestly as I can."

"You know about my previous relationship, but I know nothing about any of your relationships. Have you had any?"

"Oh no, the dreaded 'tell me about the females in your life' talk," teased Cordero.

Alexandra studied her hands. "Never mind."

He took her hand. "I have no problems answering. My last relationship ended in November. I haven't had time to date since coming home or maybe no real interest."

"How long have you been home?"

"I came home for Thanksgiving and stayed."

"Why?"

"Why'd my relationship end or why I came home?"

"Both."

"They sort of go together." He paused as his eyes met hers. "Here it goes. Feel free to stop me at any time."

After she nodded, he continued, "A mutual friend introduced me to Joyce at a barbecue around the Fourth of July. We dated pretty heavily until November. Dad had a minor stroke November 7th. As you can see he's okay, but the doctor told him he needed to slow down."

He adjusted himself on the rock. "Mom and Dad discussed selling the ranch and moving to town. This ranch has been in Mom's family for generations. I couldn't let them sell it. Besides I wasn't happy living in Houston. I don't like city life. I know it's not as large as New York City, but it's too big for me. I didn't like the crowds, the traffic, the noise, or how city people treated each other."

"You like the wide open spaces and small town friendships."

"You're right. I brought Joyce home with me while Dad was still in the hospital."

"It must've been serious if you brought her home?" She shivered a little.

Unbuttoning his shirt, he removed it, leaving a white sleeveless T-shirt. "How do you end up without a jacket?" He held it out for her to slip her arms through the sleeves.

"You'll get cold."

"I'm fine." Cordero watched her eyes graze over his muscles. "Is there a problem?"

Alexandra swallowed. "No." She released a deep breath. "Everything's good."

"Back to your question. We played at it being serious but it wasn't. We wanted different things. When I told her I was moving back home, she said, 'she wanted a veterinarian not a rancher'."

"I bet that hurt."

He chuckled. "Not really. I was relieved. I moved home and am glad I did." He stared at the stars for a few moments. "I'm running the ranch and keeping a mostly part-time vet practice. It's the best of both worlds. I don't make any major decisions without talking it over with Dad. He still has a say in how things run. We work well together."

"That's because you're a good son and a good man."

Their eyes met as he caressed her cheek. As their lips prepared to meet, a loud roar sounded.

Alexandra jumped. "What's that?"

"A mountain lion."

"A lion? In Texas?"

"A cougar." Cordero shook his head. I'm never going to get to kiss her. We're always interrupted. He stood and held out his hand to help her rise. "We'd better get back."

After helping Alexandra mount Dolly, Cordero climbed on Chip, and she said, "We talked more than we watched the stars."

"I figured that talk was due, especially after last night. I'm surprised you didn't ask then."

"You don't mind me asking?"

"Why would I?"

Alexandra glanced at him, inhaled deeply, and then said under her breath, "You're so..."

"What? I didn't hear you."

"I didn't say anything."

"Yes, you did. I heard 'you're so', but you stopped."

"Is that cougar around?"

"I haven't heard it, but it's probably not far. You changed the subject." He studied her. "What were you saying?"

"Nothing important."

Cordero chuckled. "I can see you blushing in the moonlight."

Alexandra didn't comment.

As they entered the barn, he helped her off Dolly. She removed his shirt. "Cover those muscles."

He held her. "So you were thinking about my muscles, huh?" When she didn't comment, he continued, "You were." He stared into her eyes. "Your eyes are sparkling. They're telling me you're happy."

She gulped. "I am."

They gradually moved toward a kiss.

Jim walked in. "Boss, go ahead inside. I'll put the horses up."

Cordero groaned.

Turning around, Jim added, "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt. I'll leave."

Whispering Cordero said, "We're used to it." He then yelled, "Jim, get back here."

Alexandra reached up and pecked Cordero's cheek. "I'm going inside."

He rubbed his cheek and grinned.

When Cordero came inside, he glanced around. His dad walked up behind him. "If you're looking for Ali, she went to her room. Is everything okay?"

Cordero rubbed his cheek. "I think so."

"Did she slap you again?"

"The opposite. It's confusing."

"Hijo, if this is confusing your mom and I did a horrible job raising you." Jorge shook his head. "And we wasted our money on that high priced university." He studied the shirt in Cordero's hand. "Why aren't you wearing your shirt?"

"Ali forgot her jacket and it was all I had to offer." Cordero hesitated. "Mom and you were great parents, and no you didn't waste your money. Ali's confusing."

Jorge chuckled. "You're in love, probably for the first time in your life. You're going to be confused for a while and it's going to get worse until you two figure out how to maneuver it. It'll be a rocky ride." He walked off.

Cordero shook his head. "So I'll remain confused and worse?"

Over his shoulder, Jorge replied, "Si."


~~~~~
Hijo is Spanish for son. Jorge will use it often.
~~~~~


CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foreman's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: bank owner, possible suitor for Ali

Sam Bailey: Alpine's Sheriff.

Dale and Dorothy: ranchers who own the mare and the twin foals

Maggie Bentson:  an acquaintance



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a cougar. Does he had a cute face? LOL I told some of you more information about how horrible Pat is will be coming in two weeks, I was mistaken. Chapter 9 will be longer than I anticipated. Information on Pat won't be coming until 4/24/22 if everything goes as planned. SORRY This post is a little over 1800 words. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.