General Fiction posted March 27, 2022 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Margot gets some answers.

A chapter in the book The Return

The Return Chapter 13

by Sandra Stoner-Mitchell


End of chap 12
 
The walls were covered with Old Master paintings, and several gilded mirrors. Quality silverware, porcelain and glass was much in evidence, ready for the waiting staff to prepare the table. The word, stunning, did not do it justice.

Bessie chuckled, and patted Margot’s arm. ‘Now, this is what I’s be calling classy. Lady Brandon watched over everything, right down to the oil lamps and the smallest candle.’

‘She can design my home anytime!’ Margot was very impressed. ‘Okay, so are you going to tell me what you found that was so interesting?’ 

When Bessie’s bright, sparkling eyes lit up, Margot knew she’d found something a tad more than interesting.  ‘Come on then, don’t keep it to yourself!’ 

‘Let’s just say for now, Meg’s father didn’t lose his money gambling.’
 
Chapter 13
 
‘What?!’ Margot stopped dead. ‘I don’t think I heard you right. Did you say you found something that proves Meg’s father didn’t lose his money gambling?’
 
‘Yes, you’s hearing it right. It’s all down on paper. I’s thinking Miles’ dad has been telling a few black lies.’ 
 
Margot frowned as she took a moment to digest this new piece of information. Then the frown deepened. ‘But wasn’t it the family solicitor who told them about Lord Crawley’s gambling? Are you saying he lied, too?’
 
Bessie nodded. ‘That’s exactly what I’s saying! And that got me thinking, why would a solicitor be doing that? We have to pay that man a visit. Something is mighty wrong here.’
 
‘You’re telling me there’s something wrong! What was it that led you to this conclusion, anyway?’
 
‘Some papers I’s finding while poking around in the library. They were in a locked cupboard. Of course, that got me wondering why would anyone want to lock a cupboard? It wouldn’t be for a mop and bucket, now, would it? I’s thinking there must be something of interest inside. It weren’t hard to open—’
 
‘You broke the lock? Won’t someone see it’s been opened?’
 
Bessie pointed to the pins in her hair, and grinned. ‘A tweak and a twiddle and it were soon open. And were it worth it?  My word, it was! It was stacked high with files; some looked to be there for years.
 
‘It’s all above my head, but this is roughly how I’s understanding it. Lord Crawley and Lord Brandon put money into something and then later Lord Brandon took his money all out again without telling Lord Crawley. Lord Brandon lost nothing, and Lord Crawley lost his whole estate.’ 
 
‘Why would he do that … unless he knew something that Lord Crawley didn’t, and forgot to pass it on.’ Margot stood up and walked around the bedroom. ‘I want to read that document. Where is it?’ 
 
‘Still down in the library room. There’s lots more papers, but I’s not understanding all the mumbo jumbo jargon. It’s another language to me.’ 
 
Margot smiled. ‘I know what you mean. I need a dictionary beside me when it comes to official documents. Getting back to this solicitor, what I still don’t understand is why would he tell Lady Crawley and her children such an outright lie? If it came out, he could lose his qualifying law degree, and that would effectively ruin him.’
 
‘That’s right. There’s more to this than we’s knowing. And you's going to find out what it is.’
 
‘Me? Now just you hang on a minute. How in heaven’s name am I going to do that?’
 
Bessie shrugged and turned away. ‘I’s still thinking on it.’ 
 
‘Well, while you're thinking, you can show me where the document is.’ Margot was already moving towards the door. 
 
First impressions are usually lasting, and Margot’s impression of the library had taken her by surprise. She’d been mesmerised by the grandeur and size of the room. The full shelves, spanning from floor to ceiling, needed the moving step ladders to get to those books that were out of reach.
 
Now that Bessie’s overnight search had discovered more items of interest hidden away in a cupboard, Margot couldn’t wait to go back and see them for herself.
 
‘I’s thinking we’s have to be careful; we’s don’t want anyone to see cupboards being opened and papers being removed by themselves. It were easy for me with everyone in their beds,’ Bessie reminded Margot as they went down the stairs.
 
Even though it would be hilarious, Margot agreed to be careful when people were around. The library was empty when they went into the room, and Bessie went straight over to the cupboard. Taking one of her hairpins, she once again picked the lock. 
 
‘Here we are,’ she said, turning around with the papers she’d read and waving them in front of Margot's face. ‘These has all the proof we’s needing to show that Lord Crawley didn’t gamble his fortune away.’
 
Margot took the documents and sat down at the reading table. They were official documents, signed by both the solicitor and Lord Brandon, and although she didn’t understand much of the legal terminology, she could see that Lord Brandon had stitched Lord Crawley up good and proper!
 
‘What a bastard!’ Margot was furious. ‘Why would he do such a thing to his son’s future father-in-law?’
 
‘Perhaps he didn’t want Miles to marry Meg. I’s don’t know. What I’s do know is, he’s not going to get away with it. We’s getting all this out in the open. Richard’ll be furious!’
 
Margot could just imagine how Richard would react to this revelation. ‘Yes, I agree with you. But we also have to find out who wants Meg dead.’
 
‘Hmm. I’s thinking that once we get to the bottom of this little mystery, we’ll likely get an answer to that one, as well.’ 
 
‘You could be right. So have you had enough time to come up with a way to do it?’ 
 
‘Yes … But I’s thinking that, without realising or understanding, you’s already knew what had to be done from that moment you’s stepped into your new home.’ 
 
That threw Margot. ‘I don’t understand. What and how could I possibly have known?’
 
‘It’s simple really. You and Meg have one of thems invisible link thingies that’s joined you together. A bit like us, I s’pose. We’s here, but no one can see us. You can feel what Meg feels, and that’s why you had all them longings for Miles’ spirit. He’s knowing you’d not be able to resist him, and that was why you agreed to come here.’
 
There was a long silence as Margot thought this one through. Bessie’s right, I do feel a connection with Meg. ‘Okay, supposing I agree with what you’re saying, how does that help us with this problem?’
 
Bessie studied Margot for a moment. Her usual twinkling eyes dulled as she tried to think of a way to say what she had to. She took a deep breath and forced a smile.

‘What I’s not told you before is … well … Look, there isn’t any easy way to say this, so I’s just going to say it. The closer you get to Meg, the more you’ll become her until you’s finally merged and become one person. … are you still with me?’
 
Margot’s eyes were the size of saucers. She stared at Bessie wondering where she’d escaped from. ‘This is crazy! I’m sorry, Bessie, but no, you’ve completely lost me.’
 
Bessie sat down at the table with Margot. ‘I’s thinking as much. Let me try to make it clearer. … Please listen to what I’s got to say. It’s important.’ 
 
Margot looked into Bessie’s clear, warm eyes, and knew the many questions that she’d asked before, and which Bessie had dismissed, were now going to be answered. She nodded and sat upright, preparing herself. ‘Okay, I’ll listen.’ 
 
‘Good.’ Bessie reached over and patted Margot’s hand. ‘Because this’ll sound even more crazy. You’s might have been hearing of this before and not believed it, but there are more timelines running side by side. Your timeline’s all good. But cause Meg were murdered in her timeline and shouldn't have, everything got changed. That’s why we’s here today; we’s got to make it right.’ 
 
Bessie couldn’t help but smile at the befuddled look on Margot’s face. ‘Now we’s over that part, I’s be telling you the rest. 

 Meg and Miles should’ve married. Meg will save the life of a young lad whose descendant plays an important role in the second world war. Whoever’s planning to murder Meg has gotta be stopped. The future depends on it.’ 

 


 
When Bessie had finished talking, she sat back and stared at Margot, waiting for her reaction. ‘Whatever you’s choosing to believe, what I’s just told you is the gospel truth.’
 
Margot stood up and paced the room, trying to get her head around all this. She knew the moment she saw the house, way in the future, that she belonged there. She knew Miles, even though she didn’t. And then there was Meg. Yes, she did feel that connection. Margot looked at Bessie and made her decision.
 
‘Okay, I’ll do it. But I’ve got a few questions, and if you can answer them, you’ll have my full cooperation. What happens to me when this is all over? Will I become me again? Will I be able to go back to my own timeline?’
 
Bessie smiled and walked over and stood in front of Margot, taking both her hands in hers. ‘I’s promising you now, Margot, you will go back to your own time. We’s just got to sort this lot out and get everyone’s life back on track.’
 
‘Okay then, let’s do this!’ Now the decision was made, Margot was excited. At least I get to be with Miles for a while.
 
Voices from the other side of the door had them both look up. ‘That’s Miles,’ Bessie said, quickly returning the document to the file, closing the door and locking it. 
 
*****
 
Miles went straight to his room, washed and put on a clean set of clothes. His mind was full of his surprise Christmas wedding and couldn’t wait to get started. He’d need to talk to his friend, Joshua Fellows. Miles wanted him to be his best man and knew he could trust him to keep the secret. 
 
First, he had another job to do, and that couldn’t wait. After Meg’s shattering statement that she had no friends anymore, he’d decided to rectify that as well. To do this, he needed to speak to Lucy Shivers, Meg’s once best friend. He was going to give Meg a birthday to remember. He had lots to do, and not much time to do it. Suddenly life looked good!
 
*****
 
Meg was having her breakfast when Margot and Bessie arrived at the house. It seemed weird to Margot seeing all the ornaments, pictures and ornate mirrors on the wall that were still in the house when she moved in over a hundred years later. 
 
Bessie nudged Margot, bringing her out of her daydreaming. ‘I’s thinking you’d do good if you study Meg today. Watch the way she does things, eats, walks, talks, especially what she's like with them that works for her. This is important if we’s going to pull this off.’ 
 
‘Good idea.’ Margot stared at Meg for a while, amazed at the likeness they shared. She was also aware of the sadness in Meg’s eyes, and a feeling of acute compassion assailed her. 
 
Even if it means I have to give up my life in the future, I will do everything in my power to make her happy again. 
 
Continued...
 
Characters:

 Margot Crawley: A bank teller who has had her life turned upside down by an amorous ghost. She saw a house in the estate agent's window, and was so attracted to it, she ended up buying it even though she hadn’t wanted to move. What made her do such an uncharacteristic thing? She believes it was the house itself.

 Bessie: The housekeeper who was there when Margot moved in. What is she? What does she know? Bessie is an enigma and Margot is determined to discover what she knows. 

 Meg Crawley: A woman from the 1800s who is somehow linked with Margot. But how? Margot discovers that Mistress Meg once lived in her house before her untimely death. Things are becoming very mysterious.

 Miles Brandon: Once betrothed to Meg, but after her father committed suicide creating such a scandal because of the debts he left from gambling. Miles is told to call off the wedding before it brought the scandal to his own doorstep. 

Lord Brandon: Miles’ Father linked with Meg’s death. 

 Richard Crawley: Meg’s brother. Fallen out with Meg and his mother. Blames his mother for his father’s gambling. 

Gwendolyn Crawley: Miles’ wife, hates Miles’ with a passion.

Mr Turnbull: Gwendolyn’s father. Married her off to Miles so he could benefit from Miles’ title.
 



 



Recognized

#1
March
2022


Thank you for reading this chapter, I really appreciate all the support you've been giving me. This is written in UK English.
A few words about Bessie's character. She was taken from my dearest friend of over 45 years. She laughed when I told her how I'd used her. On the 27th of February she had her 80th birthday and all her friends came to help her celebrate. She'd been ill for a long time, so this birthday had to be a special one, and it was. Last Monday afternoon, the 21st of March, Carole passed away in her sleep and I'm going to miss her terribly. Every time Bessie speaks, I'm listening to Carole. Thank you again for reading this chapter. Love and hugs. xxx
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sandra Stoner-Mitchell All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Sandra Stoner-Mitchell has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.