Fantasy Fiction posted March 28, 2022 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gangus makes his plea to the tribes

A chapter in the book The Chronicals Of Bethica: The Rise

The Chronicles of Bethica

by amahra




Background
Gangus tries to convince the Qu'Venar Prince and the Aenwyn King to join him in defeating the Nordoxz and their allies.
Chapter 17 (part 1)
The Conference

Olatunji Latunde was back on Volarian soil after a year's leave. While residing in the city of Edo, he learned of the devastating defeat Lord Abram and the Volarian army suffered at the hands of the Nordoxz and its allies.

Like his father, and his father before him, Olatunji was a shapeshifter. For ten generations, Goddess Osun had awarded that ability to every first-born male of the Latunde family. He had traveled to Edo to train under the master, Shoyebi, the wizard of the north.

Although Olatunji possessed the power, Shoyebi perfected it. At the end of his training, Olatunji had earned the prestigious title, Sijuwade.

*****
Meanwhile, Gangus returned home from a short, but much-needed trip, which Brehira had insisted. Days later, he met with General Dinary and all the captains to discuss a better strategy for defending their borders. With the Minotaurs and Nordoxz now in play, the border problem was horrendous: The Volarians lacked the strength to repel the Nordoxz indefinitely. The Bohaus made a cavalry charge impossible; even steel arrows didn't sink deep enough into their tough hides to damage organs. As a further matter, the Nordoxz battle skills more than matched the best of Volarian soldiers. 

Later that day, Gangus sat engulfed with his thoughts--his head pounding in disappointment; Brehira came running into his study with five letters bearing royal seals. She entered with such a thud, Gangus nearly jumped out of his chair.

"Bre-hira, for gods' sake, you trying to frighten me to death?"

She stood panting with excitement and handed him the letters.

"Honey, sit down. You know you're not as young as you used to be," he teased.

"Oh, hush, and open them."

Gangus chuckled then looked at one of the seals. "Hm, I've never seen this seal before. I think I'll open this one last." He broke the seal of the Timbakni and was delighted to hear from his old friend, Priest Hayman. Gangus read the letter to Brehira. The priest would attend the meeting and expressed his honor at long last to assist Gangus in any way he could.
Any enemy of yours is an enemy of Timbakni, Hayman ended.

"Ah, I knew the Priest would not disappoint us," Gangus said smiling widely. He broke the Engamar seal of King Tugo. His wide grin as he read warmed Brehira's heart.

"Well, come on, come on," she urged excitedly.

"All right, I'm opening it," Gangus said fumbling to break the royal seal of the Qu'Venars. As he silently read, Brehira could sense a change in him. Their eyes met.

"What does King Pyruss say, Love?"

"No."

"NO?" She snatched the letter from his hand and read the explanation. "This has Prince Norr's signature. I know the King is old and sickly, but I didn't know he had turned decisions like this over to his son so quickly."

"Apparently, he has."

Brehira's beautiful eyes squinted at the words. "What does he mean it's not their fight. But he just can't refuse."

"It's worse than that, Love," Gangus said, sliding his thumb over the unbroken seal of the fourth letter.

"What could be worse?" she asked.

"Remember, whatever decision the Qu'Venars make, King Yawmin of the Aenwyns is sure to follow.

"Bloody Hades!" Brehira cried out, "that's over forty-five thousand soldiers we can't count on. What are we to do?"

"Now wait, Brehira, that does not mean had they agreed, they would have committed anywhere near that number. It would have been a fraction of that at the most. And the same with those who have or will agree."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, dear heart, that it could be that they would send us a few hundred..."

"A few a hundred!"

"...or a thousand at least," he said.

Brehira's chest sank as she flopped into a nearby chair.

Gangus walked to her and touched her shoulder. "Love, I didn't mean to take the joyful wind out of you. I just want you to be realistic."

Lines deepened in her already creased middle-aged forehead.

"Brehira, the news of our defeat has spread far and wide. I doubt any of these rulers want to risk the full might of their men and horses.  Besides," he continued with a slight smile, "at least the Timbaknis and Engamars have agreed. That's something. Right?"

Brehira didn't answer.

"Bre-hear-rah," he said with a sympathetic look and kissed her forehead.

She looked up--forced a smile and nodded. "There's two more, love. Open them," she said, trying to mask her gloom.

The sound of the fourth seal snapping made both their hearts race for a miracle. It was the royal seal of the Aenwyn King Yawmin and he had, indeed, followed the Qu'Venars. Brehira found the refusal of the Aenwyns most disheartening: Despite the Bohaus' impenetrable hides, the archery of the Aenwyns was so impeccable, they could pierce the eye of a fox from a great distance with little effort.

"Read the last one," Brehira said with less urgency. "It's probably the royal seal of Domari."
Gangus snapped the seal, unfolded the letter, and glanced at the words. "No. This is not the Domarians. It's from Queen Antonia of Nekani and listen to this...she asked if a troop of 3,000 be enough?"

"Nekani?" Brehira said rolling the name over in her mind. "Oh, the feline humanoids Celio rescued from that Orc camp many months ago. But... I never sent the queen a letter."

"I guess Celio must-have." Gangus sighed hard. "Well, with Prince Norr and King Yawmin's refusal, plus the Domarians' silence, I suppose we'll have to make do."

"Love, no. We lost two thousand men against those horrid tribes. You've got to get the prince to help us. We need both the Qu'Venars and Aenwyns. Their skills are badly needed."

"So true," Gangus said. "What about Domari?"

"I will handle the Domarians. I have an excellent rapport with Her Holiness."

"Good. I'll report this latest news to Dinary and my captains."

There were months of planning for the conference. Weeks after receiving the letters, Brehira had traveled to Domari with her priestess. With much persuasion from Brehira, the Grand Matron, Diana agreed to send her daughters, Ndornah and Melitah to represent the kingdom. They had been promoted to generals of the Domari warrior caste called the Dedroyles. Diana pledged 3,000 soldiers.

When Brehira had returned home, she noticed a slack in the preparations and sternly got behind her servants who quickly began cleaning and polishing. Everything wood, metal, or ceramic took on a shine that seemed the envy of the stars. The cooks chose only the best fruit and vegetables; the finest of eatable beasts were set aside and fattened for the butcher.

Everything had to be perfect. In Volarian culture, it was considered an insult to allow dignitaries to travel long distances and not provide them with a reasonable time of comfort, the finest of food, drink, and entertainment.

The guest quarters were massive with enough room for each guest's entourage which included servants, food and beverage tasters, Medicus, and armed guards. Each guest would occupy his or her wing of the building. Brehira had overseen every detail of the preparations and at the end of it rewarded her servants for their well-doing.

Weeks before the conference, Prince Norr had finally agreed to attend, but for no other reason, Brehira suspected, than to show gratitude for Volarian steel that had upgraded his army's weaponry.  Of course, that meant the Aenwyns would attend as well, though neither committed to contributing troops.

Shortly after arriving, however, the Prince was overheard claiming his expert military advice on the fate of the enemy tribes would be valuable enough.

Brehira scoffed at his arrogance.




End of part 1



Image: by Dantegrafice from Pixabay

Main Characters
Lord Gangus Abram Leader of his clan
Lady Brehira (Bree here rah) His wife
Dinary (Deh nah ry) Youngest Son
Celio (Seal le o) Soldier and close friend
Princess Netrekka (Neh trek kah) Dinary's Lover/wife
Olatunji (O Lah Tune Gee) Nigerian Soldier
Gangus's Staff Command Tierphenjinochun (Teer fen gin o tion)

Minor Characters
Khimah (Kee ma) Eldest Son
Captain Dulcy P Dordrecht (Door check) Captain of the Cristofur
Judian (Jew-dee-in) Second in Command of the Christofur
Kofius (Ko fee us) The Sail Master
The Drake (like it's spelled) The menacing dragon

The gods
Raziel (Ray-zeal) God of gods
Dahlia (Doll-lee'ah) Goddess of Domaria--a kingdom ruled by women
Gailzur (Gale-zore) God of War
Nelchael (Nell-key-ol) God of the Underworld
Zakzakiel (Zak zah keel) God of Peace
Osun (O Shun) Nigerian Goddess

The Races
Volarians (Vo lar rians) (Humans) 'Gangus's tribe'
Engamars (In ga mars) (Humanoids) aka, Red Beards 'Hate Aenwyns and Qu'Venars'
Aenwyns (An winds) (Humanoids) 'Adore Qu'Venars, hate Engamars'
Qu'Venars (Q' Vin nahs) (Humanoids) 'Adore Aenwyns can't tolerate the stubborn Engamars'
Nordoxz (Nor-docks) (Humanoid) 'Have multi-colored leathery skin like that of a serpent.'
Faerie (Far ree) (Another world) Origin of the Aenwyns'
Domarians (Doe mah rians) ( Humans) A kingdom ruled by women'
Nekani (Keh cah knee)  (Humanoids) Felion Race

 




When Lord Gangus Abram is awakened by a mysterious voice in the night and told to seek out the Oracle Naman, he must make a journey across the Endless Ocean to destroy the Nordoxz, an undefeated race of humanoids that are controlled by powerful forces of evil.

Lord Abrams plunges into a perilous trek to obey the gods and settle in Bethica, a land of dragons, cannibals, Fallen Angels, Amazonians, and Dark Lords. He is joined by his wife, Brehira, youngest son Dinary, comrade and friend, Celio, Shapeshifter and Beast Master, Olutunji, and 750 people willing to risk their lives for land and freedom.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.