General Fiction posted March 16, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Factual account.

Village of Twins

by Sanku


My friend and her husband were touring Kerala when they came across a strange welcome board."Welcome to God's Own Twins Village".

Kerala,a long coastal strip on the south western part of India is called"God's Own Country", a tagline of Kerala Tourism.

Driving on, they stopped at a humble 'tea shop'. (tea shops in Kerala are small eating joints where you get not only tea but lunch and dinner also) As they got out from their car, they saw a man emerge from the tea shop carrying a shopping bag. He was wearing grey shorts and a white vest. He gave them a cursory glance and walked off.

Inside there was no one. They called out, "Hello! Anybody there?".

"Coming", a voice answered.Then the same man wearing grey shorts and white vest came from inside.

"Sorry .There is only tea.No snacks".

Baffled they asked, " Didn't you just go out with a shopping bag?"

"No", he said.Then realisation dawned on him."That was my twin", he grinned."You will find more like us in this village".

"What do you mean"?

"Hey, we are world famous .Didn't you know?

They didn't.

Sipping Suleimani tea ( a strong fragrant tea spiced with cardamom and cinnamon) they listened with total disbelief to his explanation.

"Kodinhi is a sleepy village surrounded by backwaters on three sides. The village has been baffling the genetic researchers all over the world because they have the largest number of twins in the country. The village consists of about 2000 families, majorly of Sunni Muslims and a few Hindu families".
"The village with 400 plus pairs of twins (and two triplets) is a mystery that researchers are trying to solve.While the world average is 6 twins per 1000 births, Kodinhi has 42 twins per thousand births".
"Joint team of researchers have collected the saliva and hair samples to study their DNA .They are trying to study the environment and the eating habits of the people.So far no scientific explanation has been found".

"Most of them, are identical twins.Even Kodinhi women who married from far away town also have produced twins".

Meanwhile the people of Kodinhi are enjoying their fame".

As they were leaving two girls brought home grown vegetables to the tea shop. Twins!

My friend Whatsapped me with the picture of the girls.

'Did you know about This? .You lived in Kerala for the first twenty years of your life' .

I did not.









Recognized


There are things I do not know about my own native state.
Thank you Jhenoy for this picture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by jhenoy at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sanku All rights reserved.
Sanku has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.