General Flash Fiction posted March 5, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A plane crash in the deep woods, a hook

Mayday! Mayday!

by RodG

Hook Us Contest Winner 

The plane literally tumbled out of the clouds into the deep forest. A red ball rose slowly just above the tree tops.

Jake Thomas saw all this as he hiked through the dense woods back toward his cabin.

He'd heard it first, the far-away drone of an aircraft much too close to earth. Then he saw the gray wing flash by overhead.

Brief seconds later a horrendous explosion. Then a fireball blotting out the sinking sun.


He stood for a long moment on the vaguely visible trail, wondering what he should do, return to his cabin for his medical kit or hasten to the wreckage.

"Search for survivors!" he muttered as he broke into a lope.

He let the sound of the now-raging fire direct him.

Soon he crested a low ridge and saw the flare of red in a shallow vale below him. The trees, mostly pines, were tall with little underbrush to attract sparks while recent rains had dampened bark and new Spring growth.

The plane, much smaller than he thought it would be, was a two-engine twelve-seater, the kind he often took from Port Angeles to Victoria. Cracked in half like an Alaskan crab leg, it lay amidst the ponderosas.


The right engine sparked and smoldered, and flames shot out of the broken pilot's window. The rear half sat on its tail, tilted upwards.

As he approached, Jake saw nothing human-like sprawled on the ground, only pieces of jagged metal. An exit door on the front half was flung open. An arm lay just over the threshold . . . twitching.


Writing Prompt
Write your best opening hook to a story. Write it so we crave more. It could be your next masterpiece. Hook us!

Hook Us
Contest Winner


Artwork courtesy of Google images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.