General Fiction posted March 6, 2022 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Something is happening to Miles.

A chapter in the book The Return

The Return Chapter 10

by Sandra Stoner-Mitchell


End of part 9

Miles’ face was dark with anger. ‘Society and their arrogance. My damned father being the worst of the lot. Sometimes, I wish that it was he who'd died. He hasn’t an ounce of love in his heart for anyone but himself. At least I could have helped your father, and we’d be married.’ He brought her hands to his lips and kissed each of her fingers. 

‘You mustn’t say such things, Miles. We will get married; I feel sure of it.’ Meg said, sounding more confident than she felt. 

Miles stood and looked into Meg’s upturned face. ‘I’m just going to check if my horse has been stabled for the night, and then I’ll be back. I’m staying tonight.’

He walked over to the door and turned. Looking straight at Margot, he gave a barely discernible flick of his head, then walked out.
 
Chapter 10

Margot and Bessie stopped a few yards away while Miles went in and spoke to the stable hand. On his way out, he signalled for them to follow.

They caught up with him around the side of the house and an instant spark ignited between Margot and Miles as they stared into each other's eyes.

‘Hello, Meg.’ His soft, provocative voice was more like a caress; seductive, yet gently teasing.

Not a good start! Margot wrestled with her bedroom thoughts, dispatching them quickly to the back of her mind. Miles, as an amorous ghost, had been bad enough, but to handle the living, breathing, magnificent hunk of a man in real life … that would be too much to cope with.

He took her hand and held it to his lips, stirring exquisite, sensual feelings right to the core of her being. She tried so hard, albeit unsuccessfully, to fight against them.  

This is getting worse by the second!

‘At last, we meet in my time. It's been my pleasure knowing you in the future.’ He gave a rascally grin, keeping a firm hold of her hand. 

Now you’ve gone too far! 

‘Well, it certainly wasn’t my pleasure!’ she retorted, not wanting him to think she’d enjoyed it too. But it was obvious she’d failed—miserably. His raised eyebrow and the curl of his lips, told her so. 

‘Let’s get two things straight, your Lordship, first, I am not your Meg, I’m Margot,’ she snapped, blushing scarlet. ‘And … and secondly, I’m not here to accommodate your frustrated carnal desires. I’m here to help Meg and, if I’m not mistaken, that’s why you had me come here, isn’t it?’ she finished, quite flustered. 

Miles stared at her for a long moment before replying. ‘You’re absolutely right, of course. It’s just that when I’m with you, you are Meg. I’ve never seen a more remarkable likeness, not only in looks, but also in the kind-hearted, warm, and loving nature the pair of you share. Please, will you accept my sincere apology?’

Margot studied his firm, square jaw, not wanting to look into his pleading eyes. She knew she’d forgive him. She also knew there was nothing really to forgive him for, but she wasn’t going to let him know that!   

She had no choice. She had to look up into those coal-black eyes that bore into hers. Her lips parted allowing her rapid breathing to escape. 

But it was the emotions overtaking her that were the problem. They were the most scandalous, but incredibly breath-taking feelings of raw passion she had ever felt. She was discovering, to her dismay, how easy it would be to fall in love with him. Not only that, she knew she’d find it hard to go back to her own time without him. 

Margot realised she’d be lost if she didn’t pull away; moreso when her fingers began twitching, desperately wanting to run amok in his long, soft, wavy hair. It was only then she managed to jerk her hand from his and move—just a small step away.  

There should be a law against men like Miles walking around, oozing such incredible sex appeal. 

She took a deep breath, ‘Of course, I accept your apology, and I appreciate it.’ She surprised herself at how calm she sounded, and couldn’t control the wide smile that glued itself to her face when she watched him visibly relax and release a sigh of relief. 

‘You must have found it terrifying travelling back to my century and coming face to face with yourself,' he said, changing the subject. 'When I saw you in the future … Well, let’s just say I understand just how you must feel.’

‘It was rather frightening, I have to admit,’ Margot replied. ‘At least when I travel back, I’ll know what to expect. You must have found it disconcerting, too.’

‘Yes, I must have.’ He frowned and shook his head. He gave Margot a strange look, as if he’d only just seen her. ‘I went to the future, to find you … didn’t I?’ He rubbed his forehead, not expecting a reply. ‘I’m well aware of the reason you’re here … It has to do with Meg … I think something terrible is going to happen to her.’ He stopped, his frown deepening. ‘Unfortunately, it’s all rather vague.’ 

Margot waited, now as confused as Miles sounded, and wondered if a gentle nudge to remind him of Meg's impending death, would help; but decided against it after glancing over at Bessie's usual impassive, unhelpful expression. 

‘I seem to remember someone opening a portal into the future so I could go through and find you.’ Miles pushed an errant lock of his hair back from his eyes, and stared blindly into the distance. ‘I just can’t remember why. How could I have forgotten something as important as that?’ 

Miles leaned back against the brick wall of the house, putting his hands in his pocket, then taking them out again. ‘I know I need you to help me stop whatever it was from taking place. One thing I am sure of is, my father will be involved. How? I haven’t the faintest idea.’ The more he spoke, the more frustrated and befuddled he became. ‘I just know I have to save Meg.’

From the hard, fierce expression in his eyes, Margot could tell his unwavering love for Meg could not be challenged. It was absolute.
‘That’s what we’re here to do. Bessie has some ideas that we are going to look into tomorrow.’ 

Miles immediately recovered from his musings at the mention of Bessie, and his smile returned. ‘Hello, Bessie. You will have to forgive me, but although I’m sure we’ve met before, my mind seems to have buried itself in a fog. Was it you who helped me through the portal?’ 

Bessie nodded, and he continued, ‘It was also you who helped convince Margot to come back with you, wasn’t it?’ 

‘Yes, it was. But don’t worry about your memory. Travelling through time takes a lot of energy, but you’ll be as right as rain shortly,’ Bessie told him, patting his arm. ‘Margot and I’s here to find out what happened, and then stop it. If you can remember anything, no matter how small, it might be a good idea if you could tell us now.’ 

Miles nodded and looked at the ground, appearing distracted. He rubbed his hand over his chin and frowned. ‘As I’ve already said, I think my father is behind it. I don’t know why I think that, but it’s in my head and I can’t shift it. As far as he’s concerned, Meg is the one person standing in my way of marrying and producing an heir. What he doesn’t realise is, I won’t marry anyone but Meg.’

He paused and closed his eyes. When he opened them, they were clear and focused. ‘Richard! Meg’s brother. He's bound to be involved, as well.’ 

‘That’s good, Miles. We can work on that. Thank you.’ Bessie smiled. Although they hadn’t learned much more than they already knew, it wouldn’t help any of them to say so.

*****
After Miles left them, Margot turned to Bessie, a frown puckering her forehead. ‘What happened? The longer he was with us, the more his memory failed him. He was fine to start with. How is that possible?’

‘It won’t be long before he forgets it all, and he won’t be able to see us, either. He can’t be allowed to remember what he learned in the future. It might not be much, but the results would be catastrophic in your time.’ Bessie sighed and pursed her lips. ‘It would’ve been so different if’n I’d been here when all this happened, but I’s were sent to help out elsewhere.’  

‘At least Miles has confirmed your suspicions about Meg’s brother. Do you know where he lives?’

 Bessie nodded. ‘Yes, let’s make our way over there now. We can have a browse around once he goes to bed.’
 
*****
Miles did stay the night just as he’d promised, cradling Meg in his arms until she fell asleep. His thoughts were all over the place remembering what she’d said.

She’s right, she has no friends now. The ones she had, even her best friend, were all forbidden to see her by their own parents. Mostly because they didn’t want to upset my father. If only Lord Crawley had come to me, all this could have been avoided.  

Lying in bed unable to sleep, Miles thought of Meg’s upcoming birthday the following week. He’d already bought her present, a gentle four-year-old filly with a good pedigree. All he could hope for was that it would bring her some happiness.   

I’ll never forgive you for what you’ve done, Father. You want me to get married to some woman I don’t know or love, and give you another heir to keep the family line going? Huh, you’ll not have one from me. Not now, not ever.

It had crossed his mind a few times that Meg and he hadn’t already produced a child. Their lovemaking was never anything less than unrestrained ecstasy. She was a remarkable and affectionate, sweet woman, who loved him as much as he loved her, but there was no pregnancy. That will serve him right! 

As Meg lay in his arms, he allowed himself to luxuriate in her delicious scent, and, holding her closer, he listened to the soft rhythm of her breathing as she slept. In that instant, he made his decision.  Nothing and no one will stop me. I will marry Meg, even if it means we have to move away from here.  

Miles lay there trying to work things out. It would need careful planning and he couldn’t tell Meg. A Christmas wedding! Miles fell asleep with a smile on his face.

Continued...

Characters
 
Margot Crawley: A bank teller who has had her life turned upside down by an amorous ghost. She saw a house in the estate agent's window, and was so attracted to it, she ended up buying it even though she hadn’t wanted to move. What made her do such an uncharacteristic thing? She believes it was the house itself.
Bessie: The housekeeper who was there when Margot moved in. What is she? What does she know? Bessie is an enigma and Margot is determined to discover what she knows. 
Meg Crawley: A woman from the 1800s who is somehow linked with Margot. But how? Margot discovers that Mistress Meg once lived in her house before her untimely death. Things are becoming very mysterious.
Miles Brandon: Once betrothed to Meg, but after her father committed suicide creating such a scandal because of the debts he left from gambling. Miles is told to call off the wedding before it brought the scandal to his own doorstep. 
Duke of Burlingon. (His Grace): Miles’ Father linked with Meg’s death. 
Richard Crawley: Meg’s brother. Fallen out with Meg and his mother. Blames his mother for his father’s gambling.  
Margot’s amorous ghost: is like the magnet who has drawn Margot to the house. Bessie is there to spin the web and keep her there. But for what purpose? They are from completely different times.
 

 



Recognized

#4
March
2022


Thank you for reading chapter 10, I do hope you enjoyed it. This is written in UK English, and Bessie has her own unique dialect. If you see any errors, I'm always very happy to read them so I can put them right. Thank you! xx
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sandra Stoner-Mitchell All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Sandra Stoner-Mitchell has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.