Romance Fiction posted February 27, 2022 Chapters:  ...75 76 -77- 78... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jordan asks questions about his chemo research.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 48

by barbara.wilkey




Background
After Katherine's husband dies, she struggles raising her four sons by herself. Can Gabriel be the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?
Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 70 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

When Katherine entered her house, Sarah and Rebecca were talking and Sarah said, "Welcome back. I hope you relaxed."

"I did. We had a wonderful time. How'd everything go here?"

"Very well.

Sarah continued, "Jordan's upstairs and the others are asleep."

Rebecca released a deep breath. "I hope it's okay. Jordan wanted information about Chemo. I helped him with research. He's scared." When tears entered Katherine's eyes, Rebecca hugged her. "I hope I didn't overstep."

"I'm glad you were here to help."

"Sweetheart, there's no way you're going through this alone."

Gabriel walked in. "What's wrong?"

Katherine dried her eyes. "Everything's perfect."

Shaking his head, Gabriel said, "Of course, it's normal to walk into a room and the two ladies whom I love very much are embraced and crying. Why would I be worried?"

Katherine hugged him. "I'm blessed and it's because you pushed your way into my life. Thank you."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 48

After the family dinner Sunday evening, Jordan sat on the couch beside his mom. "Last night I researched chemo." When Katherine didn't comment, he continued, "You're going to experience fatigue, nausea, memory loss, and pain."

"Those are some side effects, but the medicine needs to be strong to kill the cancer," answered Katherine.

Joshua added, "I heard your hair's going to fall out."

After she nodded, Jordan asked, "It'll grow back, right?"

Sarah came from the kitchen and put her hands on Jordan's shoulders. "It will."

Rebecca had followed Sarah. "We're going to help your mom through this. We're here for you boys too. It'll take all of us, but that's what families do, work together."

Jeremy scanned the room. "Where's Coach and Grandpa?"

Sarah glanced over her shoulder. "They're outside."

Rebecca laughed. "Probably up to no good."

Jordan continued, "My research said Mom will do okay tomorrow and probably most of Tuesday but will start feeling bad Wednesday and then really bad until Sunday night. Then the cycle repeats itself every other week for eight weeks. Once phase two starts chemo's every week for twelve weeks."

Sitting in a chair beside Joel, Sarah said, "That's why I've moved into the spare bedroom. I want to be close in case your mom or any of you need me. After all of that, we have radiation therapy for six weeks. We're talking about twenty-six weeks before we can begin to get back to normal."

"Harold and I will visit once a day to see if there's any way we can help. We're all in this together."

Jeremy smiled. "I like it when you and Grandpa visit."

"That's because they spoilt you rotten," teased Joshua.

Sarah put her arm around Joel. "You're awfully quiet. Questions?"

Harold and Gabriel walked into the room. Gabriel nodded toward Katherine as he asked, "Joel, why don't you come with us?"

Joel got up and followed the men outside.

Katherine stood. "Maybe I should..."

"Sit," interrupted Sarah. "They're fine. You can talk with Gabriel later."

"True."

*****
After Harold and Rebecca went home, and the boys were upstairs, Sarah went to her room and left Gabriel and Katherine alone.

As they cuddled on the couch, Katherine asked, "What were you and your dad up to?"

"Father and son talk."

"Care to elaborate?"

Gabriel chuckled. "It wouldn't do any good to say it was a private conversation, would it?"

She studied his eyes. "Probably not."

"I want you to lean on me and draw strength to get through this." He hesitated. "What if I fall short?"

"We've only known each other about two months."

He kissed her. "For the first time in my life I know exactly what I want. You."

Katherine started to speak, but it was interrupted with another kiss.

"Most women were interested in my pro-status and money. None of that impressed you."

"I wasn't looking for a man in my life and definitely not a playboy jock." Katherine tilted her head and thought. "My family's my priority."

"They are and I respect that. I'll never get in the way."

Katherine leaned her head against his chest. "You aren't. You've helped me become a better parent. You're great with the boys. They need you in their lives."

Gabriel grinned. "You know my goal is to marry you, don't you?"

"You've mentioned it on several occasions."

"I haven't changed my mind."

"You've made it clear; to include not accepting a coaching job with UT." Katherine paused. "Are you having second thoughts?"

Gabriel's kiss lingered. "Definitely not. I'm where I want to be. My concern is I may not know how to help."

"Just being here's enough. That you're excellent at."

He checked his watch. "I'd better get home. I'll come by in the morning to get Jordan." He paused. "I'll be here around my usual lunch time and take you for your infusion. I think Sarah's coming too. Mom and Dad will be available to get the boys from school." He stood and offered his hand to help her up. After they walked to the door, another kiss followed. "Good night."



CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws

Dr. Martin Jordan's doctor

Troy Elder Lawyer and friend of Gabriel from his pro-football days

UIL The University Interscholastic League exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and music contests. The UIL was created by The University of Texas at Austin in 1910 and has grown into the largest inter-school org

Benjamin Weinberg Lawyer for George's mistress and baby

Gail Mitchel and her daughter, Jewel George's mistress and baby

Melton Ivory Lawyer who tried to get a date with Katherine

Mr. Novak Riley's lawyer

Judge Ryan Washington Judge Troy asked to sit in the meeting.




 



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of ways to reduce breast cancer risks. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. Again, thank you for catching those errors. There are 3 posts left after this one. Katherine and Gabriel still have some life issues to navigate. This novel is not actually about football but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little under 900 words. I know it's short, but says all that needs to be said. LOL

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.