General Fiction posted February 26, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A short story

Lights Off

by Bridge

I was really looking forward to getting to see real live penguins at Phillip Island, Melbourne, before returning back to India. I had rented a cottage for the weekend. I checked into the cottage just as the sun was setting. I was to go to see the penguins the next evening. I unpacked and then sat on the verandah watching the storm that came on suddenly , while drinking my favourite tea and chatting with my friends.
Suddenly my phone died. I went inside and as I plugged the phone charger into the socket everything went pitch black with a loud ' blink'.
I have always been terrified of the dark. I always slept with a night lamp. What was I to do now? My phone was dead and I had no idea if the cottage had candles?
I could feel the panic rising and could hear my heartbeats clearly. Did I remember to shut the front door when I came inside? What if there are snakes around here? Or thieves? How would I sleep? Was it only this cottage ? Was it the storm or something I did?
I could not keep standing near the kitchen counter. I took a few deep breaths and slowly managed to find my way to a chair. I sat there and tried to convince myself that dawn wasn't far off.
However, much to my delight, the lights came on after an hour.




The Dark writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story where your character is stuck in complete darkness. Fiction only.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bridge All rights reserved.
Bridge has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.