Romance Fiction posted February 26, 2022 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cord attempts to get information about Alan.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 6B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cord give his heart to Ali? If he does, will she accept it? Will Ali discover if she's the girl next door?
Cordero and Alexandra met 8 days ago/

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:
.
"Tonia probably spanked me at least once, and Mom swatted your behind."

"I'm pretty sure she didn't."

Cordero's eyebrows rose. "Why?"

"I've never been spanked."

"Not from your dad?" After she shook her head, he asked, "Or Grandpa?"

"Never."

"That explains a lot. I need to fix that right now."

Cordero jogged around to the other side of the bed, while Alexandra climbed across the bed. "No!"

Cordero chuckled and continued chasing.

Alexandra tripped over a corner of the rug and fell onto the bed. Cordero leaned over her and pinned her arms above her head. As they studied each other's eyes, their lips crept closer.

Rosa called, "Ali, your mom is on Zoom. Want to talk with her?"

"I'm on my way." She straightened her hair and walked from the room.

*****
Cordero stood and ran his hand through his short hair. "I'll be right down." He released a deep breath. What was I thinking? I wasn't.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 6b

When Alexandra entered the living room, she sat beside Rosa, looked at the computer screen, and smiled. "Hi Mom." She giggled. "Dad and Grandpa, hello."

Tonia sighed. "You look so relaxed. Ranch life agrees with you."

"Maybe. Cord's teaching me to ride and I saw twin foals today."

Brent, her dad asked, "So you've met Cord? I hear he's a pretty special guy."

Alexandra's cheeks glowed pink. "I guess he's all right."

"Only all right?" interrupted Cordero as he sat beside her. "Hello, Tonia."

Alexandra quickly introduced her dad and Grandpa, George.

"I have question," said Cordero. "Tonia, you were here every other month, and Mom came to New York the opposite month for over 30 years. Why didn't the rest of the family ever meet?"

Rosa took a deep breath. "I can answer that. Because, Tonia and my friendship is so special we both needed time just for us. We'd unwind from our hectic lives."

Tonia held up a finger. "You two did meet once. You were, what Rosa, around a year old?"

"Yes. I got pneumonia and was hospitalized. Tonia brought Ali, because she was still nursing, and took care of you." She glanced at her son before she continued, "Jorge stayed at the hospital with me. I'm sure you don't remember."

Cordero and Alexandra's eyes met and they shook their heads.

Tonia laughed. "Both of you together were a handful."

Chuckling Cordero said, "I have to ask, did you bathe us together?"

"Sure did. It was the most efficient way to handle two the same age."

Alexandra grabbed a pillow and covered her face. "No! Mom, you didn't?"

Cordero lowered her pillow and teased, "She did. I told you, we're family. There are no secrets."

Samson came up and put his head in Alexandra's lap.

A timer sounded in the kitchen, and Rosa jumped up. "Dinner's ready."

"Yummy," said Tonia. "One of Rosa's great Mexican dishes."

Alexandra turned toward the kitchen. "Nope, I taught Rosa how to make a French dinner."

Tonia's smile glowed. "First Rosa called you Ali and now I'm hearing you're cooking again. What next? I'm glad you're able to spend time there. I hope you and Cord aren't causing too much trouble. When you were toddling, you two could be a handful.

Jorge walked in and patted Cordero on the shoulder. "Cord's doing his best to keep Ali from being bored."

Brent asked, "Ali, what do you have planned for this evening."

She faced Cordero. "Nothing as far as I know."

"I thought we might see if we can convince Jewel to let us put a halter on her." Cordero went on to explain who Jewel was and how he planned on breaking her so Ali could ride her.

George chuckled. "Ali, I need to get back to work. I'm happy to hear you're doing well and sending my love."

"I miss you, Grandpa. I love you."

Cordero watched his dad answer his ringing phone and then stood. "I'll help Mom in the kitchen. Good meeting you, Brent. Tonia, I can't wait for your next visit. Bye."

*****
When Cordero entered the kitchen, he asked, "Mom, has Tonia ever mentioned anything about suspecting that Alan guy abused Ali?"

Rosa's eyes widened. "Never, why? Has she made an outcry?"

"No, but there's been a couple of times when she was afraid she'd done something wrong and fear filled her eyes. She even cowered."

Jorge entered. "From what I've heard about George and Brent, if anybody ever laid a hand on her, they'd kill him or have him killed."

Cordero took plates from the cabinet. "That explains the lack of an outcry. She'd want to protect them."

Jorge stared at Cordero, "Hijo, what do you plan to do about it?"

"Nothing. I don't know anything."

*****
After dinner and on the way to the corral, Cordero studied Alexandra. "You miss your family, don't you?"

"I do." She hesitated. "But I'm glad I'm here. I needed to get away." When Cordero's eyebrows rose, she changed the subject. "Think Jewel's going to let you put a halter on her?"

"You left New York because Alan kept pursuing you, right?" After she nodded, he asked, "Was he stalking you?" When she gulped, he asked, "Is he dangerous?"

Alexandra walked into the barn.

Cordero stood at the corral and studied Jewel. She's avoiding talking about it. He went into the barn. "Jim, get that new halter from the tack room. I'll get Dolly." His eyes met Alexandra's. "You ready to help?"

"Of course."

He handed Alexandra Dolly's reins. "Walk her into the corral but keep an eye on Jewel. If she starts charging, be ready to run." He tilted his head. "You do know how to run, right?"

"Everybody knows how to run."

Cordero chuckled. "I'm not so sure."

As Alexandra and Dolly entered the corral, Jewel moved to the farthest corner. Cordero followed behind with Jim beside him, carrying the halter and a whip.

Alexandra eyed the whip. "What's that for?"

Cordero whispered, "I don't like using them, but if you're in danger, I will. So far everything's good." He demonstrated taking Dolly's halter off and on. "I want you to put it on, remove it, and then replace it, over and over again. Hopefully, Jewel will get curious and come over to see what's going on. We'll be here in case we're needed." He stepped back and motioned for Jim to do the same.

While talking softly to Dolly, Alexandra continued with the halter and after about fifteen minutes Jewel gradually moved closer. She was now within a few feet.

Alexandra faced Jewel. "I see you decided to see what I'm doing." She held out her hand, but Jewel stepped back. "That's okay, you're not ready. I'll just keep learning how to put this on and off Dolly."

After another few minutes had passed, Jewel moved closer and neighed.

Jim stepped closer, but Cordero put his hand on his arm and motioned him to step back.

This time when Alexandra put her hand out, Jewel moved closer and let Alexandra pet her.

This continued before Alexandra held out the halter for Jewel. After she had examined it, Alexandra put it on Dolly.

Cordero whispered, "I'm sure you're getting tired. Jim, take Dolly to her stall, and return, but stand back. Ali, remain with Jewel. I'm going to see if she'll let me walk up. She may not. Stay alert if she reacts."

Jewel studied Cordero but didn't move back. Alexandra continued petting and talking to her. The horse shook her head when Cordero attempted to pet her muzzle. Cordero said, "Okay, I'll stand here."

Time passed before Cordero tried it again. Finally, Jewel allowed him to pet her.

As most of the stars twinkled in the sky, Cordero said, "It's getting late. Jewel, we need to go. Ali, slowly step back, and go to the barn. I'll be there shortly." He nodded for Jim to step closer, in case needed.

Alexandra smiled when Cordero joined her. "We did it, didn't we?"

He put his arm around and hugged her. "It went better than I imagined. You're a natural."

Jim slapped Cordero's back. "I questioned this 'gentle breaking' you believe in. I never thought it'd work, especially on that wild horse, but I'm becoming a believer." He held up the halter. "Next time I bet you or Ali, gets this on her."

"It takes time, but I think in the end there's a bond between the rider and horse."

Jim walked away. "Looks like you're right. Good night, Boss and Ali."

Both Alexandra and Cordero said, "Good night."

As they walked toward the house, Cordero said, "I heard there's some more of that fancy apple tarte."

"There is."

"Care to share some with me?"

"Individual bowls or one huge one?"

"Which one do you prefer?"

After thinking a few moments, Alexandra said, "One bowl, less dishes."

Inside the kitchen, Cordero paused as he dished up the apple tarte. "About earlier." He swallowed. "I almost kissed you."

Alexandra put her hand on his. "I didn't stop you. If Rosa wouldn't have called me, we would've kissed."

"I know you're still nursing a broken heart." He searched her eyes. "I feel we have a good thing. I don't want to ruin it."

"I don't want it ruined."

Samson shoved his way between them.

Cordero petted him. "Don't worry. I won't steal your girlfriend."

They went to the back porch to eat the tarte smothered with vanilla ice cream and watched the stars.



CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz Cord runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black Ali is a New York City corporate lawyer, is junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim One of the ranch foreman's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Sam Bailey Alpine's Sheriff.

Dale and Dorothy Ranchers who own the mare and the twin foals



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a West Texas night sky. I'll probably post this novel on Saturday's until I complete Football. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.