General Fiction posted February 24, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Charlie Entry

Mr Burger

by Wils

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

The last time I saw Charlie alive he was wowing us with his favourite activity, flipping burgers. Known as “Mr. Burger” within the group home community in which he lived, Charlie was often called upon when it was barbecue night to cook sausages (yes, sometimes overcooked), turn burgers and fry onions and, under the watchful eye of house staff, he did it with great enthusiasm.

To the novice eye it would seem impossible for Charlie to cook anything, but he never let his severe scoliosis hold him back. Forcing him to have his body bent backwards Charlie faced his disability head on. Can’t was not a word in his vocabulary.

All this seems a distant memory as I stand before Charlie’s coffin. It had been a hell of a week. Nobody could have known that he would be taken from us that night. There had been no warning, no sign or previous similar activity. Charlie went quietly, the first notice was the shock of morning staff opening his bedroom door and finding the body. Cause of death was a massive seizure.

I close my eyes in silent prayer for Charlie. He will be hard to forget. I place a McDonalds “Big Mac” token in his coffin and wipe away a falling tear. Goodbye Mr Burger. Feed the angels for me.

 



Charlie writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that begins with the line: The last time I saw Charlie ... (continue the sentence and story)


Names have been changed but this story is based on true events. "Charlie" was a delightful young man with both physical and intellectual disabilities. His sudden death hit us all hard
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wils All rights reserved.
Wils has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.