Romance Fiction posted February 22, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sharp words and ...

Cutting remarks

by Wendy G

Romance Story Contest Winner 


Whatever was that woman doing crouched on the footpath near his flower beds near nightfall?

"What exactly do you think you are doing?"

She shot to her feet, embarrassment flushing her face. He glared at her.

"Are you making cuttings of MY plants?" he sounded very angry. "Couldn't you have asked permission first? It's theft! Buy your own plants!"

"Firstly, they are very overgrown, so I didn't think anyone would mind." She drew herself up to her full height and glared back at him.
"Secondly they're on the footpath! They're not for me, anyway. I was a landscape gardener and …"

"What! You're landscaping with MY plants, and doubtless well paid …"

She looked very distressed, and cut him off – just as he had done to her.

"Please let me explain! I'm new to this area – I volunteer at the Cancer Centre, and I offered to design and make a garden for their courtyard. It's quite bare! I've only just finished my own garden and my plants are not big enough yet to make cuttings. So I was planning to pot all these until they are stronger, then plant them out for the Cancer Centre Garden. It's a project dear to my heart because my sister died from cancer."

It was quite a long speech for her – she wondered if she had overstepped. What would he care? She was guilty of taking cuttings of HIS plants. She just wanted to escape now, and go home.

"I'm Geoff Miller," he said, "I owe you a huge apology. You are welcome to take as many cuttings as you wish. My garden IS overgrown. I'm on my own, I moved out from the city last year because I wanted space and peace, away from the noise and stress. But I don't have a clue about gardening!"

"I'm June West. Thank you for your kindness …. But here are your cuttings. I'll go now."

Geoff extended his hand to her. "Please keep them. Your idea is a wonderful one. Let's be friends. We can work together. Would you care to have coffee with me tomorrow? I have an idea!"

The following day, Geoff invited her to help him manage his garden, and in return he would cook dinners for her. He was a chef. Within months his garden was a delight, and they were inseparable!  Love blossomed.


Writing Prompt
Word count 350 minimum-400 maximum

Write a Fictional Story about First Love between a male and female couple

No vulgar words, profanity,
or sex/sexual terms/ sexual innuendos implied or hinted
at in dialogue/scenes
No animals/No satire/No scripts/No war stories or Dear John letters/No deathbed stories in hospital or hospice care stories

Romance Story
Contest Winner

Recognized


396 words
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.