Family Fiction posted February 14, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
We don't know what we've got til it's gone. (436 words)

Mr. Grunty Goes Missing

by LisaMay



Jasmine and her mum returned home from the local shopping centre just before the storm began pelting down.

“Waaagh! Boo hoo… I want Mr. Grunty,” wailed Jasmine. She’d suddenly realised her teddy bear was missing after their trip to the shops. Mr. Grunty’s absence was breaking her little heart, although she still had Perky Pig, Wiggles, and Minnie to play with.

“I didn’t think you liked that old bear anymore. You play with the others much more than him.” Jasmine’s mother tried to deflect her distress.

“Boo hoooooooo! I love Mr. Grunty. I miss Mr. Grunty. I want Mr. Gruntee-ee-ee.” Jasmine’s hiccuping sobs continued.

“Come here, sweetie, and give daddy a cuddle. I’ll be your new Mr. Grunty. Give me a squeeze and I’ll grunt for you.” Jasmine’s father was sprawled on the sofa, relaxing after his night shift job.

“Silly Daddy, you’re much too big to fit in my stroller. Maybe Mr. Grunty fallded out at the shops. He’ll be losted and scared. Waaagh…”

Jasmine’s dad, Norman, exchanged a glance with his wife, Marie, over the child’s head. “I guess she’s just learnt that we don’t know what we’ve got til it’s gone.”

Marie replied pensively: “It’s a harsh lesson to learn, at any age. That’s for sure.” She was thinking of her much-missed sister. In recent times they hadn’t visited much, even though Jill lived in the same city. Marie assumed they’d always be there for each other, then Jill became unwell and the disease progressed quickly. They’d buried her only last month.

“Boo hoooo…” Jasmine’s crying continued.

“Norm, I’m going back to the shops to look for the bear.”

“Okay, honey. I’ll make our favourite pizzas while you’re gone. Hey Jazzy, come help me put some yummy toppings on our pizzas.”

Rain lashed the windows as Marie shrugged into her raincoat, grabbed the umbrella and stepped out the door. She walked briskly to the shopping centre, trying to dodge puddles. She went to each store they’d been to earlier and asked if a teddy bear had been found. At the last one she saw Mr. Grunty sitting at the check-out. Marie thought she detected a smile of relief on his scruffy face. There was certainly one on hers.

Back home, Marie removed her wet coat and shoes in the porch and stepped inside. She was greeted by the aroma of pizzas and her husband’s loving smile. Jasmine launched herself across the room.

“You’re the best mummy ever! You found my bestest bear ever! And Daddy cooks the best pizzas!”

The four of them hugged each other tight in the bonds of grateful love.



Love, Love, Love writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Fiction ~ Fiction ~ Fiction
Write a fictional love story with humans of 400-450 words.
No vulgar words, profanity, or sex.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.