General Fiction posted February 11, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My love for hospice!!!

Hospice Nursing

by aryr

Many years ago, I gave up the desire to do regular ICU nursing and changed to Hospice. It was truly a blessing from heaven. I interacted with the patient who was dying as well as the family involved, the church and the funeral home.

I really never knew what to expect when I went into a home, other than someone there was dying and the family was grieving. Several times, the brave family were aware of this dying process but often they were not. In this case, I was dealing with the patient and the extended family.

The truth of the matter was simple, the patient was dying and there was a lot to do to get them to 1) a comfortable place, 2) as close to a happy place as possible and 3) a spiritual place. The first two were relatively easy but sometimes the third was more difficult.

Have you ever met a person that didn't believe in God or a Creator of some sort? What would you do? Or a person that truly believed in the Bible and all of its teachings? How do you convince them that their passage to heaven relies on their belief and faith?

It is difficult to try to force the beliefs onto someone who is dying. In my case, I focused not only on the patient but on the family, the dear ones who had to survive after all this. It was their faith that carried them through.

Several times, I would arrive at the patient's home, the family was confused and terrified, the patient was peaceful, confused or even unconscious. This was the dying process. I would call the office, report that I had an actively dying person and hope that someone else could monitor my calls. Most often this was done, I would at least check on how the family were. If they were alright then I change them to next day.

It is difficult to watch the dying process, some people can and others can not. There is no magikal solution that a wave of a wand can make someone die. It takes patience and dedication for both the nurse and the family.

I was a firm believer that the family should give the patient whether awake or unconscious permission to go. That it was okay with them to go towards the light, they would miss you, but it was okay.

The family could participate in the bathing. I would inform the funeral home, who were very respectful of the deceased. Did you know that if ambulances were driving then so would the funeral drivers? Something to think about!



~ Jobs, People, & Spiritualism ~ writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Fiction ~ Fiction ~ Fiction
Write a fictional story of 400-450 words
No vulgar words, sex, animals, or profanity
Must incorporate spirituality somehow involving people at a job.


Recognized


Thank you so much for the artwork- Til Death, Do Art by Sea Jay1
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.