General Fiction posted February 17, 2022 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Spirits are light with the Heavenly Warriors.

A chapter in the book The Walkers

Memphis Looms Ahead

by papa55mike




Background
Gabriel Hope leads a formidable team of Angels and Walkers through the Spirit Realm on a dangerous mission to India.
End of Chapter~9

Cris asks, "Do you think they will follow us, Gabe?"

"Not after that beating. We should be clear until we get to Memphis, but we'll still have to watch for patrols of Legions."

Cal begins to rub her arms and feels the lumps and bruises from the rocks hurled at them. "Those will take a while to go down."

Michael reaches into his coat and hands a beautiful bottle of oil to Cal, then says, "This oil will ease the pain and swelling."

Cal accepts the bottle, then puts a little dab on her fingertip and rubs one of the welts. Instantly, the swelling decreases then the bruise fades completely. Cal asks, "What's in this stuff?"

"It's only olive oil," Michael smiles. "But God, Himself, blessed it for me."

"Well, that should work." Cal starts rubbing the oil on her arms and legs.

Cris speaks up, "You might want to save some for us."

Michael answers, "It will never run dry."

"I should have known that." Cris smiles. "I wonder what day it is?"

Michael tilts his head a little, looking for the answer. "I believe it's what you call New Year's Eve."

"Ah, man," Cris frowns. "I missed my grandmother's Thanksgiving dinner. That's a few pounds I don't mind gaining."

"Growing up with Mom and Dad always in the mission field," Cal smiles. "We usually had something different for our Thanksgiving dinners like Water Buffalo or Yak with no sweet potatoes and stuffing. We were always happy, though, and I sure miss them."

Cris asks, "It's always worse during the holidays, isn't it?"

"Yeah," Cal looks deep into Cris's eyes. "It sure is."




Chapter~10

Satan's mansion lies within the darkest recesses of the Spirit Realm. Vast fire pits light the enormous grounds, and the flames reflect off the hideous sculptures of the Evil One's many forms. The Serpent, the Fallen Angel, the Beast, the Winged Devil, Satan as Adonis, the Beast with many horns, and too many other forms to mention. His office is just inside the massive Ivory front doors. Two beautiful, Succubus demons are his current secretaries until one makes a mistake.

Right now, the Evil one's vast office looks like a three-ring circus with hundreds of Familiars milling around in every direction. They recently arrived after the battle with the unknown warriors and are acting like two-year-olds in a china shop, touching everything.

Satan hisses to himself, "At least one thing came out of this. We now know two of the warriors are Michael, the Archangel, and the dreaded Gabriel Hope. The other two seem to be newcomers to the Realm, and maybe I can use that to an advantage." Suddenly there's a crash of fine glass against the floor. "Get out!" Satan screams, then grabs his six-foot bullwhip, and with a crack, Familiars begin to flee his office, shrieking in one massive herd. The Evil One orders them back to their post with a wave of his arm, and the little demons disappear in a cloud of red smoke.

Satan screams through the open door, "Get me Asmodeus on the screen, worthless slaves."

"Yes, Master," They both reply.

Suddenly, his bulbous head fills the wall in front of the Evil One, and it's like his mind sees through the distance. Asmodeus feels the call then answers, "Yes, Master!"

"What have you found?"

"Nothing, Master. We've searched everything for fifty miles."

"That's because they have slipped right past you! They're almost to Memphis. Gather your troops, then find a portal here, and I'll send you to Memphis!"

"Yes, sir. We're on our way," Asmodeus's face disappears.

"The things I have to put up with," Satan rubs his chin while thinking out loud. "What's Michael doing with Gabriel Hope? We can't let them get across the bridge."

~

The darkened horizon seems forsaken for miles, but the mood is cheerful for the Heavenly Warriors. Cal and Cris seem to be picking on Gabe. Cris asks, "What made you fall in love with Pearlie, Gabe?"

"Truthfully, I didn't know it at first until Pearlie told me that I was in love with her. It was the same way about the proposal, I told her why I couldn't marry her, and she heard the word marriage, and suddenly we were engaged. She is a terrific kisser, though."

Cal wipes her eyes from laughing and asks, "Did she have a shotgun, Gabe?"

"No, not in her hands, but Betsy was close by."

Cris asks, "How long did it take for her to set a date?"

"That's where Pete came in, and he was no help at all. They started looking at gowns, planning the reception, decorations, and music. I shook my head and walked away."

Cal and Cris crack up, then Cris says, "It sounds like you're hooked, Gabe."

"Well, it's the Lord's fault. He was the one who sent me to Brownsville to help cook Thanksgiving dinner for a thousand people at Pearlie's soup kitchen. She did make an impression, though."

Cal gasps, "Pearlie runs a soup kitchen?"

"Yes, ma'am, and a food bank, too. They took a closed restaurant and rebuilt it, and she has eight young women working with her. Pearlie and the girls serve lunch and dinner, six days a week." Gabe turns to Michael and says, "I heard you snickering over there, Michael."

Michael smiles and says, "All I know is, I need to visit you more often, Gabriel. The things you get tied up in. The Lord is laughing right now."

"As long as my wretched life brings a smile to someone."

Cris asks, "How much farther to Memphis, Gabe?"

"It's not far; we should be in the city limits soon. We'll have to keep our eyes sharp then, but who knows. Satan knows his enemy by now, and I'm sure the Familiars have told him plenty."

Michael speaks up, "There is one thing I know about Lucifer. He loves to control the battlefield."

Gabe nods his head and says, "Then, he'll mass all of his forces at the bridge into Arkansas,"

"That is his pattern," Cris interjects. "We'll have to spread out our forces then create a diversion, and they'll think fifty are attacking them if we plan it right."

Gabe and Micheal smile at each other the turn to Cris. "It sounds like you have a plan?" Gabe asks.

"Not until we see the layout and what Satan has left us for weapons. Besides, Michael can always throw a few trucks at them."

"I don't understand," Cal asks. "Why doesn't he want us to cross."

"Because there are over five-hundred portals on the other side within a mile," Michael smiles. "We can disappear to anywhere in the world without Satan knowing - he's not omniscient."

Cris asks, "So he still doesn't know what our mission is?"

"No," Gabe answers. "Or where we're going."

"Well," Cal shakes her head. "Then he's going to throw the kitchen sink at us to keep us from crossing."

Gabe smiles and answers, "More than likely. What are you thinking about?"

"It would be nice to have to ride across the bridge," Cal smiles at Gabe. "We'll never beat all of those demons on foot. I mean no disrespect, Michael."

"None, taken, Cal. I would say that the Lord has chosen His warriors wisely. Is anyone hungry or thirsty?"

"Not until you said anything," Cris rubs his belly, "But, yeah."

Michael asks, "Are you with us, Nathaniel?"

It was like the landscape opened up with the swirl of an angel's cape. Nathaniel's brightness is blinding at first, but their eyes quickly adjust. He's carrying a large basket of fruit and a jug of water. Nathaniel kneels before Michael and says, "My General."

"Rise, my friend. It's good to see you."

Nathaniel sets the basket down on the road, and the two men embrace. He turns to Gabe and says, "Gabriel Hope, it's been many days since I've seen you. You look a little grayer on top." He grabs Gabe and Hugs him so hard he raises off of his feet.

"Days for you, Nathaniel, mean years to me." Gabe introduces the others. "Nathaniel, this is Cris Turner and Cal Cummings."

"It is an honor to meet you both. Your exploits are all over heaven. Come, let us eat fruit from the Tree of Life and drink the water from Crystal River."

A stunned Cal and Cris both answer, "Sure."




The Cast of Characters.

Prisha
The twelve-year-old girl who her father sold to the Dealer in the prologue.

The Angelic Warriors

Gabriel Hope
At six feet, six inches tall, 295 pounds, Gabe is a 20 year veteran of the Army Rangers, and he's been walking for the Lord for 23 years.

Michael
The Arch Angel of Heaven, Prince of God, Commander of the Lord's Armies. His massive size varies depending on the situation. Michael has been friends with Gabe for many years after recruiting him for battles in the Spirit Realm.

Cal Cummings
At six feet, two inches tall, 200 pounds, Cal graduated from Vanderbilt University with a Master's degree in Theology. She also starred in Volleyball and is an Olympic Champion Archer. Five years ago, she was working in the mission fields of Africa when bandits killed her Mother and Father in a brutal attack, and Cal barely escaped.

Cris Turner
At six feet tall 200 pounds, Cris has a Master's degree in Criminal Science and Theology from North Carolina University. He is also an excellent shot with his Colt 45 model #1911. Three years ago, he started walking for the Lord when his wife and son were killed in a plane crash, but Cris missed the flight.

The Enemy

Lucifer, Satan, or the Evil One
He is the Supreme Commander of all the demon armies and ruler of the Spirit Realm.

Beelzebub
2nd in command under Lucifer, all of the other generals report to him. He uses pride to tempt others.

Asmodeus
Commander of the North American army of demons, and he tempts others with burning desire.

Leviathon
Commander of the Western Asian army of demons, and he tempts others with heresy.

Legions
The slow marching skeletal soldiers in Satan's armies - Legions vary in size from five to seven feet tall. They are known for their ability to leap upon their prey and are mighty in battle.

Familiars
They are much smaller than the Legions but quick soldiers that hunt in packs. They cling to the dried-up riverbeds, oceans, lakes, and streams. Familiars carry short swords and sling-shots.

Cambions
Cambions are one to two-foot-tall demons with oversized reproductive organs. Cambions are created in the Spirit realm when a demon mates with a male or female human while dreaming.

Garrote
A Super demon that's created in the Spirit realm when Satan or one of his generals has sex with a young virgin girl in the earthly realm.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.