General Fiction posted February 10, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Benny is dog-napped.

Man's Best Friend Suffers

by LisaMay





What’s happening? Why am I imprisoned? I smell blood and fear! Where’s my family?

Benny, confused and frantic, has been ‘dog-napped’. He barks loudly, clawing at the bars. A man shouts aggressively at Benny to shut up, then opens the cage door and grabs him. Searing pain surges; his ears and tail have been cropped short in preparation for the dog fight that low-lifes will come to watch and gamble on.

How terrible that ‘man’s best friend’ is often so poorly treated. Cruelty comes to the fore when innocent animals suffer through neglect and abuse, or exploitation for commercial gain.


 



The Prisoner writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
In 100 words, or less, write a short story--not necessarily a flash-fiction, though it could be--on the theme/subject/topic of 'prisoner'. It could be literal or metaphoric.


Author note:
Dog fighting has been banned in most countries, but illicit gatherings still occur wherever unscrupulous, cruel people view this as a 'sport'. It is prevalent in the United States and many other countries. Shame! Shame! Shame!
Organised dog-fighting still occurs openly in Japan as a cultural practice, much like bull-fighting was part of Spanish culture.
Dogs used for fighting are typically raised in isolation, so they spend most of their lives on short, heavy chains. Dogfighting victims may have their ears cropped and tails docked close to their bodies to minimize the animal's normal body language cues, and to limit areas that another dog can grab during a fight.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.