Romance Fiction posted February 9, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The idea of perfection. (800 words)

Jesus at the Squash Club

by LisaMay


Laura glanced up as she tied her shoelace, and did a double take. She quickly bent her head again, completing the bow while her thoughts raced. Then she stood. She smoothed her short white sport’s skirt in an instinctive gesture. A few moments had passed, but he was still standing there in the doorway, haloed by the overhead light.

No wonder my heart skipped. He looks like Jesus. His softly waving brown hair reached his shoulders and a neatly groomed beard framed smiling lips. His gentle eyes looked into Laura’s with melting love.

Cliche alert! Across a crowded room, Laura’s idea of perfection was standing right there in the Dalmore Squash Club! And he was gazing back at her, with the frank reassurance of long acquaintance. I know we haven’t met before, but he’s so familiar to me… my dreams personified.

Other people’s conversations and the thwack and thud of squash games going on behind Laura faded into background white noise. Her recent opponent had gone to have a shower. The immediate world zeroed in on these two. Laura blushed. She hoped he might think her heightened colour was from her court exertion. What should I do? Act nonchalant? Act on this sudden connection? The suspended moment resolved itself when he came directly to her side and introduced himself.

“Hi there, Laura. We meet at last. I’m Richard. I knew it was you. Lester told me so much about you. He said I’d probably bump into you at the squash club. He said you’d be the prettiest girl here, and he was right. Oh, and I can tell it’s you because of your name badge.” Richard chuckled, then continued: “But I would’ve wanted to talk to you anyway. I feel like I’ve got so much to tell you, to talk with you about. Sorry, I know I’m babbling, but it’s weird – I feel as if I’ve known you for ages. Please don’t think me impertinent…”

Laura was already glowing at the compliment. She laughed a little self-consciously. The ‘Lester’ whom Richard had mentioned was the owner of Scribes, the local book store, where Laura spent many hours each week. She chatted about all manner of topics with Lester, and cried on his shoulder, viewing him as an understanding grandfatherly figure. He appeared to have been doing some match-making behind the scenes. Or maybe the planets were just aligning at last to bring this lovely man into her orbit, right through the doors of the Dalmore Squash Club.

“How do you know Lester?” Laura was intrigued. He’d never mentioned Richard to her, but she sensed his seal of approval.

“He’s been giving me some advice lately on my rare book collection. I have to sell it.”

Laura’s heart sank. In her experience, people sold valuable things when they were about to leave town. Like her husband, Bevan, had done a year ago when he’d sold their Japanese ceramics and left with that traitorous Cindy. Laura had wanted a family and a dog, the let’s-settle-down package, but she was almost relieved when the strained, moody silences Bevan inflicted on her ended when he quit their marriage to be with sexy, life-of-the-party Cindy.

Richard touched her arm with concern. “Are you all right, Laura?” She quickly re-engaged with the present, and smiled. His kindness was comforting. And his touch was electric.

“Have you found something better to spend your money on?” she asked brightly, while steeling herself for disappointment.

“Not yet, but I might be close to it.” There was a loaded pause. “Half will have to go to my demanding ex-wife.” He gazed earnestly at Laura. The look told her that Richard was not about to leave town.

He lifted his squash bag from the floor and put it carefully on the bench beside Laura. “Could you look after Fuji while I go and get us both a glass of juice, please?”


How thoughtful of him to realise I’m thirsty… and who is Fuji? Laura noticed the bag was partially unzipped. A quivering, snowy white muzzle suddenly poked out. Two mischievous eyes locked with Laura’s. The pup and Laura contemplated each other with curiosity, assessing the situation. Fancy that… love at first sight, twice in one day!

When Richard returned with the drinks, Fuji was in Laura’s arms, slobbering and chewing on a strand of her hair. Richard set the drinks down and reached forward to tenderly tuck the wisp behind her ear, out of the pup’s way. Oooh… the thrill of his touch! Their eyes met over Fuji’s head. The connection of their hearts was irresistibly apparent.

Laura thought she must’ve died and gone to Heaven. But she was in the right company. Her ‘Jesus’ would bring her back down to Earth, and they might just live happily ever after.



Note:
The term “thought she’d died and gone to Heaven” indicates extreme happiness and pleasure.
In this story, the puppy called Fuji is a white Akita, a Japanese dog breed. Mount Fuji is the highest mountain in Japan.

 



Love At First Sight writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Do you believe in love at first sight? Write a fictional story about two people who meet for the first time. Describe how they discover the other person is "The One" in that initial meeting. Word count is 500 - 1,000 words.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.