General Fiction posted February 8, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Personification contest entry

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

by Chris Davies


Must she always look at me with frowns? I'm diligent reproducing what stands before me. Must I always be the one reflecting the faults of others? Shouldn't they reflect upon what they see in me?

Standing before me, I know she wants something more, something younger, something thinner. She stares, frowns. I can't give her what isn't there. I must be true to myself.

Ouch! The spray is cold and stings. She wipes away a coating of dust, my measure of time, fingerprints I've collected. Pausing, her fingertips hold the corners of her eyes, she smiles. Ahh.

Cheerful voices of children resound as they burst into the room. "Look, see the monkey?" She points to me. The child laughs, a warm sensation.

"Watch out!" Tinkling of shattering glass rips the air. I lie in pieces.

"I only wanted to see the monkey," he sniffed.

"No matter, we can replace it."



Personification contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chris Davies All rights reserved.
Chris Davies has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.