General Fiction posted February 4, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
I will never understand ...

How could he ... ?

by Wendy G

Supernatural Fiction Story Contest Winner 

My mind imagined the worst.

We lived on a large cattle station, with plenty of bushland and dense scrub – so easy for a child to get lost.

But she had never wandered away before!

How could she be all alone on a freezing night? She would never survive.

A few creeks ran through the property, and we had several dams. Had my little one drowned?

Yes, I imagined the worst. What fear she must have known. I was too exhausted and anxious to weep. My jumbled thoughts raced as I paced back and forth, unable to settle.

The helicopter search was starting again at dawn, foot volunteers as well.

Then came the news. I sank back, gasping! She'd been found! My Shara, nearly four, was safe! She'd been missing for fifteen hours.

I raced to the hospital where she was being checked.

"We are astounded! She's absolutely fine!" the medical team exclaimed. "She's calm and happy – and she doesn't have any signs of hypothermia, despite how cold it was last night! She keeps saying it was Gary who looked after her … do you know anyone called Gary? A policewoman is with her now and a social worker, but they would like you to go in."

My initial elation evaporated. Who was Gary? We knew nobody called Gary. Had she been kidnapped? What … no, I could not bear to think of that.

I hugged my precious Shara.

"I was looking for koalas," she explained, "and then I couldn't remember how to go home."

"My poor little girl. You must have been so scared!"

"When it got dark I was frightened, but then Gary came. He said he would look after me and make sure no snakes came. He let me cuddle him all night to keep warm. I wasn't frightened after he came."

"Did he hurt you at all?"

"No, Mum, of course not! He was wonderful, gentle and kind. He said he knew you!  And this morning he told me to follow him to the creek bed. When we heard the helicopter he said he had to go. But he told me not to worry because I would be safe!"

Who was this Gary? How did he know me? Was that a ploy? The policewoman exchanged glances with me.

"What did he look like? Old or young? Did he have a beard? Wear glasses? What colour hair?"

"Mum, he was golden brown! Of course he didn't have a beard or glasses! Dogs don't have a beard or glasses!"

Gary! A dog! My golden retriever.

My beloved dog Gary had died years ago, long before Shara was born!

How could he …?

 


Writing Prompt
Supernatural Story - fiction
Not horror fiction/story may revolve around search for ghosts/spirits
400 Minimum word count /450 maximum word count
No vulgar words, sexual terms, or profanity
black font/one picture with no music/animation

Supernatural Fiction Story
Contest Winner

Recognized

#6
February
2022


When the supernatural is involved, all things are possible.
God can use an animal to protect and even to talk if he so chooses.
In the Bible, there is a story of an animal who spoke, in order to accomplish God's purposes.

(446 words)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.